"Best" low cost HW for XBMC?
best for low cost 60-80 bucks neewer stb check it out pain to set up but with all the knowledge I've seen on this site should be easy
(2014-03-16, 22:01)satcabler67 Wrote: best for low cost 60-80 bucks neewer stb check it out pain to set up but with all the knowledge I've seen on this site should be easy
Que?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-03-16, 11:15)warlock09 Wrote: I got the same..worth staying and not spending at the moment...openelec with the revo is the way to go.

don't mean to hijack the thread but is there anything these days that the acer is not capable of? i honestly didn't expect it to still hold up after 3 or 4 years.
(2014-03-17, 05:31)ext23 Wrote:
(2014-03-16, 11:15)warlock09 Wrote: I got the same..worth staying and not spending at the moment...openelec with the revo is the way to go.

don't mean to hijack the thread but is there anything these days that the acer is not capable of? i honestly didn't expect it to still hold up after 3 or 4 years.

Anything that requires software decoding, like Hi10P or any of the above 1080+ resolutions, but those are either easy to avoid or don't apply to most people. My Apple TV 1 running Gotham on a light linux install (Crystalbuntu) is still going strong, and it's likely a lot weaker than the old Acer Revos.
I have several family members still very happily using the ASRock ION 330s (remember those?) - kick ass little machines really. First got one in 2009 I think, and still handle all the current stuff and UI really quite well, as long as you avoid exotic encodes. There are probably a host of second hand atom/ion/ion2 machines out there that would work very well.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2014-03-17, 06:44)bossanova808 Wrote: I have several family members still very happily using the ASRock ION 330s (remember those?) - kick ass little machines really. First got one in 2009 I think, and still handle all the current stuff and UI really quite well, as long as you avoid exotic encodes. There are probably a host of second hand atom/ion/ion2 machines out there that would work very well.

They are great..... Wink
....some had a buzzy fan though so avoid that if you can (or replace?)
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2014-03-17, 05:43)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-03-17, 05:31)ext23 Wrote:

Anything that requires software decoding, like Hi10P or any of the above 1080+ resolutions, but those are either easy to avoid or don't apply to most people. My Apple TV 1 running Gotham on a light linux install (Crystalbuntu) is still going strong, and it's likely a lot weaker than the old Acer Revos.
I believe ION2 hardware will do up to 4096x4096 in vdpau. But I haven't tested it Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
all excellent news. i don't run any fancy addons or themes (refocus all day and all of the night) and the acer boxes are slim and quiet.

maybe a second-hand ION unit like these would be a good suggestion for the OP after all.

edit: looks like second-hand units are available on ebay for about $100-120. these are tried and tested XBMC machines, you really can't go wrong! the support for them far outstrips any of the compact boxes/dongles/android thingamajigs on the market at the moment. there are builds available for pretty much whatever your needs may be.
What is better? CuBox-i4Pro or Acer Revo 3610 for 1080p movies? I have to setup a box for my Dad and wonder whats better?
The Acer Revo 3610 is probably better, but I thought they stopped selling that model?
(2015-02-13, 21:16)Ned Scott Wrote: The Acer Revo 3610 is probably better, but I thought they stopped selling that model?

They did stop. I keep buying them second-hand around here for around $200 CDN. Usually all they need is a clean and a new fan.
Doesn't that have an old (pre bay-trail) atom CPU? I wouldn't buy that under any circumstances.

This thread was actually necroed from a year ago. The best el-cheapo Kodi device right now is the $40 amazon firetv stick.
(2015-02-14, 00:14)rodalpho Wrote: Doesn't that have an old (pre bay-trail) atom CPU? I wouldn't buy that under any circumstances.

Think the Ion/Ion2 graphics probably outperform the GPU on the Baytrail Atom though - and the dual core Atoms in all but the very low-end Revos, and the Asrock 330, is pretty OK for the non-video duties it needs to perform. I'd chose a Chromebox these days though (excellent video quality and HD Audio), or a Pi2 for the low end.

Personally I'd still avoid Android as I need de-interlacing and refresh rate switching. Fire TVs and other Android boxes OK if you only want 1080p and don't need refresh rate switching.
I have three of these running openelec 5.0.2 and they run perfectly. I use an sql server to link them to the db. I just figured if that little cubox could replace this unit it'd be cool.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Best" low cost HW for XBMC?0