Use libmmbd (MakeMKV) to play Blu rays on Windows
So just figured out that the issue is with waspi sound. If I switch to direct sound the issue of skipping and no sound goes away.
Just tried this but I get a dialogue box with a message saying "You are trying to run makemkv from a 3rd party application" ( or similar).

I copied libmmbd from the makemkv folder into the Kodi folder and renamed it, etc. I'm using Kodi in portable mode.
(2019-04-29, 21:30)Yearofthegoat Wrote: ...I get a dialogue box with a message saying "You are trying to run makemkv from a 3rd party application" (or similar).
Yes, I'm encountering this message also. libmmbd.dll no longer appears to work (at least not from the latest releases of MakeMKV).

Instead, I realised Kodi can playback protected Blu Rays itself as long as you have the keysdb.cfg file. Instructions for finding this are here: https://superuser.com/a/1516749/24071

I can now happily play my purchased Blu Rays.  Smile
(2020-01-13, 06:08)White Biker Wrote:
(2019-04-29, 21:30)Yearofthegoat Wrote: ...I get a dialogue box with a message saying "You are trying to run makemkv from a 3rd party application" (or similar).
Yes, I'm encountering this message also. libmmbd.dll no longer appears to work (at least not from the latest releases of MakeMKV).

Instead, I realised Kodi can playback protected Blu Rays itself as long as you have the keysdb.cfg file. Instructions for finding this are here: https://superuser.com/a/1516749/24071

Wow, it couldn't get any easier than that. Thanks for the tip!

Does this work under windows?  I followed the simple instructions and Kodi still informs me that my disc is encrypted and it won't work.  Other than the keydb.cfg copied to the appdata/roaming/aacs/ is there anything else I'm missing?

Edit: Oh this is a per-disk list of keys and I'm mostly sitting on North American anime BluRay releases.  I bet they are not popular enough to be added to the list.

Edit 2: *tries a more POPULAR anime Bluray*  Yup, that works.
Thanks for the initial advice, adapting them, I solved for Kodi 18.
Here is my data:
  • Kodi 18.8.0
  • Windows 10 pro 2004 64 bit
  • MakeMKV  1.15.2 beta
The procedure has changed slightly (this is for a 64 bit system):
  1. Copy file C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\libmmbd64.dll in C:\Program Files\Kodi\
  2. Rename this file in libbdplus.dll
  3. Rename the file libaacs.dll in libaacs.dll.ORI (If you want you can delete it)
  4. Copy file libbdplus.dll in libaacs.dll
So far I haven't found Blu-ray that I can't read, but there probably will be some.
Ciao,

Andrea

I'm getting the same error and attempted to delete the two dll's and try using just the key file. But even with the dll's gone I still get the error. Do you know of something else I need to delete? Maybe it added a config file or something similar somewhere else?
(2020-01-13, 06:08)White Biker Wrote: libmmbd.dll no longer appears to work (at least not from the latest releases of MakeMKV).
Do you mean one should not copy libmmbd.dll anymore? Plain Leia Kodi install, just download keysdb.cfg on aacs folder?
(2020-08-16, 12:42)AndreaB Wrote: Thanks for the initial advice, adapting them, I solved for Kodi 18.
Here is my data:
  • Kodi 18.8.0
  • Windows 10 pro 2004 64 bit
  • MakeMKV  1.15.2 beta
The procedure has changed slightly (this is for a 64 bit system):
  1. Copy file C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV\libmmbd64.dll in C:\Program Files\Kodi\
  2. Rename this file in libbdplus.dll
  3. Rename the file libaacs.dll in libaacs.dll.ORI (If you want you can delete it)
  4. Copy file libbdplus.dll in libaacs.dll
So far I haven't found Blu-ray that I can't read, but there probably will be some.
Ciao,

Andrea
For some reason, the same exact procedure doesn't yield the same results for me, regardless if I use libmmbd.dll alone (after copying libmmbd64.dll and renaming it) or if I copy libmmbd64.dll into libaacs.dll and libbdplus.dll. Kodi crashes either because of libmmbd.dll or because of libaacs.dll depending on what I try. The tested environment is Windows 7 x64, Kodi 18.9 Leia x64 and MakeMKV 1.16.4. I might have missed something or building libmmbd.dll by ourselves as described here is still necessary.

Can anyone confirm if building libmmbd.dll specifically is still needed of if simply using it as is is enough? This post from the MakeMKV forums suggests it was fixed, so I'm a little confused.

Late edit (18/06/2023): I forgot to update this post, but I managed to get Bluray playback working on all my machines using AndreaB's procedure in the meantime. It's copying and renaming libmmbd64.dll that worked for me, using x64 builds of Kodi. I can't remember why it didn't work the first time I tried, perhaps a bad combination of x86 software and x64 DLLs (or the opposite) or too old versions of that libmmbd. This simple procedure seems very reliable.
Can't get Blu Ray playback working. I have MakeMKV 1.16.5 and tried method from this thread with Kodi 18.8, 19.3 and 20. I always get message that disc is encrypted. MakeMKV is working. I played BD with MPC-HC and VLC. Only Kodi does not work with MakeMKV.
I looked into it as part of something else i'm working on and it seems that kodi is forced to enter "disc mode" for protected discs - i really dont understand why - the latest libbluray has designated functions for reading encrypted files...
Don't use 1.16.5 - older release like 1.15.4 is working fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Use libmmbd (MakeMKV) to play Blu rays on Windows3