Linux Updating XBMCUbuntu...
I've followed: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM..._XBMCbuntu

But for some reason I don't/can't find out what ppa I have...

From below, I only did the bold and underlined command, the next two commands I have no idea bout.

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:whatever-ppa-you-have-now
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:whatever-ppa-here
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc.bin
Your ppa's are listed in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

You can simply delete the files that have xbmc ppas or comment out the offending lines.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-03-17, 08:00)nickr Wrote: Your ppa's are listed in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

You can simply delete the files that have xbmc ppas or comment out the offending lines.

Linux noob here, I still can't work out how to browse Ubuntu to find files, I struggled to find a terminal to enter the commands as it is :S

Care to explain how to get to the ppa file?
I am not using linux but here is what i know:

ppa:team-xbmc/ppa - that ppa cintains the stable version (currently XBMC 12 Frodo)

ppa:team-xbmc/unstable - its for betas and release candidates (currently Beta version for XBMC 13)

Those who use linux feel free to correct me.
RyRy - most probably you are using the ppa for stable versions. If you want to get XBMC 13 you will have to remove that ppa (sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:team-xbmc/ppa) or comment it in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/. After that add the unstable ppa (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable).

Then continue with:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc.
(2014-03-17, 13:44)RyRy Wrote:
(2014-03-17, 08:00)nickr Wrote: Your ppa's are listed in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

Linux noob here, I still can't work out how to browse Ubuntu to find files, I struggled to find a terminal to enter the commands as it is :S

Care to explain how to get to the ppa file?

Hi...

Exit XBMC and login to XBMCbuntu (same username and password you have given at the installation). Then a new desktop environment should come up. On this screen you have at the bottom left a similar button from the windows start-button. Press it and search for "terminal" or "x-terminal"

Open the terminal and enter:

Code:
ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

in this folder you may have some subfolders and maybe your existing ppa listed in there (as a subfolder). If you found a ppa listed in there, then use the following commands in a terminal.

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:the ppa you found in "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/"
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc.bin

The command "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa" adds the repository for the latest stable XBMC version (Frodo 12.3). If you wanna test the Gotham beta1 then you have to change the third line in:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable

When you´re ready with everything, you have to quit XBMCbuntu and login to XBMC (also same username and password, that was given at the installation). If you don´t do this, you will always login to XBMCbuntu and not to XBMC. XBMCbuntu remembers on which environment you were last and always boot to this.

Hope this helps
Cheers
this is what you need to do

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:team-xbmc/xbmc-nightly
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

Don't worry if you get errors while removing the PPA's because you might not have them installed on your system anyway but i put them in there to make sure.
Press THANK USER if I Help
Is there just an "update" feature? I would love to go to the more stable Frodo 12.3 from 12.10 (xbmcBuntu). I get a pop up that it is an older version but don't know how to go to the newst version.
Thanks
Yeh if you havent changed the PPA

You just

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
(2014-03-18, 05:14)AuXBoX Wrote: Yeh if you havent changed the PPA

You just

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

So I just exit and login to Ubuntu and a terminal window or can this be typed into somewhere inside xbmc?
Thank you,
yes. or via ssh, or switch to a console with CTRL+ALT+F1
No you can't type it into xbmc, but you can SSH (wiki) in from another computer and do it. Personally I don't have keyboards attached to my htpcs so SSH is essential.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
download PUTTY onto computer on same network and do it that way
or
CTRL+ALT+F2 to get to console
then
CTRL+ALT+F7 to get back to XBMC
Ive updated the xbmcbuntu wiki commands on upgrade and nonsense related. Wink hope it helps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updating XBMCUbuntu...0