How to compile vdr + vnsiserver from source
(2015-03-07, 00:20)FernetMenta Wrote: you use strange expression for the various components, hence it is hard to follow what you mean. we have the VNSI addon which is a addon loaded into Kodi. And we have the vdr-plugin-vnsiserver plugin which is loaded by vdr. can you rephrase your question using these terms.

Sorry for the strange expressions. I'm a little bit confused as well, since I'm on Openelec single seat now and it uses add-on (including the server and VNSI-plugin). I will try to show what I'm using at the moment:

Openelec-> vdr-server add-on as service -> vdr-vnsi plugin as PVR add-on for OE (this connects to the vdr-server service add-on). This is how it works on OE.
I intend to move the server part to a dedicated small itx machine running 7/24. So I will not need the vdr-server add-on at the client OE side, as this will be located on the itx server machine.

Home server: running lets say Ubuntu Server -> here I need to install vdr + vdr-plugin-vnsiserver plugin following your guide (if I'm correct). This will enable all the clients running Kodi (including OE) to connect with the PVR plugin vnsi-client from official add-on repository, point it to the home server ip address where vdr + vdr-plugin-vnsiserver plugin is installed (Kodi wiki). I believe I have used now the correct expressions and explained my intentions.

The home server is a headless server, vdr is used only as a backend, will not be used to watch tv, but only accessed by clients running Kodi (no matter which version, OE, Linux, Windows -- all have the PVR vnsi-client as add-on available.

All the plugins, configuration files, etc will be located on the home server.

I really hope that I was able to summarize this now correctly using regular expressions.
In addition to the above:
- as I need VDR to run only as a server, your guide is still the one I should follow
- what plugins will be included? How can I add for example the Live plugin?

Many thanks!
Sorry for posting so much here, but I really need your helpSmile

First of all, I hope that I was able to clearly state in my previous post the proper expressions and you understand what I try to achieve.

I'm still not sure if I should follow your guide for a VDR server backend install? Kodi will not be installed on the server, just vdr.

In a quite fresh topic you suggested to use this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~aap/+archive/ubun...ter=utopic
(http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1878356)

What steps I need and don't need for backend install without kodi? I'm not sure if I need step 9 in this case. So confused
Step 9 is one of the major reasons why I don't like any distributions of VDR. Most of them come with an ancient system V script which ignores startup sequence of tv cards. They just provide a run script launched by a init.d script. I prefer upstart and systemd for future systems.
Hi,

First of all, FernetMenta: thanks for all your great help and for all your great work! Thanks to you, I'm addicted now to Linux and entered to this world that I like so much already!

However, I again stumbled into a problem, this time with the plugin Live.

I compiled the plugins for VDR, live, streamdev, dvbapi, epgsearch, eepg, epgfix.
Vnsiserver and dvbapi are working excellent. everything runs as it should.

Now for Live plugin I had to do a lot of things as per the readme of the plugin.

Requirements:
=============

VDR >= 2.0.0

gcc >= 3.1
if gcc < 4.0:
boost >= 1.32.0 - http://www.boost.org
PCRE >= 8.0.2 - http://www.pcre.org/
Tntnet >= 1.5.3 - http://www.tntnet.org/download.hms
Cxxtools >= 1.4.3 - http://www.tntnet.org/download.hms

I installed all these, and I had to compile Tntnet and Cxxtools which went fine.

Then I compiled and installed the plugins, that also went fine. Copied Live directory from the source to vdr/Plugins/ again, as per the readme of live.

I added -P live to runvdr template. Here comes the tricky part. Once I reboot the server, VDR will not run, it gets into an infinity loop when Live plugin starts to load. Here is the part of log from syslog:

Code:
Mar 15 20:11:25 server vdr: [2273] loading /var/vdr/themes/classic-default.theme
Mar 15 20:11:25 server vdr: [2273] starting plugin: vnsiserver
Mar 15 20:11:25 server vdr: [2273] VNSI: Starting vnsi server at port=34890
Mar 15 20:11:25 server vdr: [2273] VNSI: VNSI Server started
Mar 15 20:11:25 server vdr: [2280] VDR VNSI Server thread started (pid=2273, tid=2280, prio=high)
Mar 15 20:11:25 server vdr: [2273] VNSI: Channel streaming timeout: 5 seconds
Mar 15 20:11:25 server vdr: [2273] starting plugin: dvbapi
Mar 15 20:11:25 server vdr: [2273] DVBAPI: plugin version 2.2.0-GIT-fd4fcd6 initializing (VDR 2.2.0)
Mar 15 20:11:25 server vdr: [2273] DVBAPI: decryption library: FFdecsa
Mar 15 20:11:25 server vdr: [2273] DVBAPI: Creating sCCIAdapter for device 0
Mar 15 20:11:25 server vdr: [2281] Socket Handler thread started (pid=2273, tid=2281, prio=high)
Mar 15 20:11:25 server vdr: [2273] DVBAPI: plugin started
Mar 15 20:11:25 server vdr: [2282] SC-CI adapter on device 0 thread started (pid=2273, tid=2282, prio=high)
Mar 15 20:11:25 server vdr: [2273] starting plugin: live
Mar 15 20:11:25 server vdr: [2273] creating directory /usr/local/share/vdr/plugins
Mar 15 20:11:25 server vdr: [2273] ERROR (tools.c,459): /usr/local/share/vdr/plugins: Permission denied
Mar 15 20:11:25 server kernel: [  436.951316] vdr[2273]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f9676193aea sp 00007fff3efc0488 error 4 in libc-2.19.so[7f967610b000+1bb000]

I really don't know that could be the problem and how can I fix this. Google for long, but didn't help. Any ideas for this?

EDIT: Problem solved by creating folders 'usr/local/share/vdr/plugins' and adding live folder from source of the plugin. Also added the user who runs vdr (server in my case) as owner. Now Live works, well, almost fine. Remote part is not working. However, I see something very strange now in the logs:
as vdr starts, it immediately switches to channel 1 in channels.conf file, that is AlJazeera English (FTA) at the moment, and later there is also an error saying Channel Locked, Recording -- however no recordings are running at all and no clients are turned on.
What can this be and how can I prevent this?

Here is the log what is happening: pastebin
A quick question: does the user who runs vdr needs home folder or I can create a user without home and install&run vdr?
A quick question:

when I want to copy the files with the

cp svdrphosts.conf /var/vdr

command, I get the error:

server@serverpc:~/progs/src/vdr$ cp svdrphosts.conf /var/vdr
cp: cannot create regular file ‘/var/vdr/svdrphosts.conf’: Permission denied

Obviously I would need to use sudo, but if I'm correct, that would be not good. How can I use the user server that I use to be able to access /var/vdr ?

Thanks!
(2015-03-25, 18:30)gurabli Wrote: A quick question: does the user who runs vdr needs home folder or I can create a user without home and install&run vdr?

not if you specify all folders as cmd line parameters when starting vdr
(2015-03-28, 21:17)gurabli Wrote: A quick question:

when I want to copy the files with the

cp svdrphosts.conf /var/vdr

command, I get the error:

server@serverpc:~/progs/src/vdr$ cp svdrphosts.conf /var/vdr
cp: cannot create regular file ‘/var/vdr/svdrphosts.conf’: Permission denied

Obviously I would need to use sudo, but if I'm correct, that would be not good. How can I use the user server that I use to be able to access /var/vdr ?

Thanks!

see step 5 of post 1. grant access rights to the user to this folder
After spending few nights thinkering finalyy I managed to do everythig I wanted at the moment. I have all the plugins compiled, almost configures, and VDR is up and running.

So much thanks to your excellent work and support FernetMenta!

I still have some open question, especially the one related to USALS rotor and EPG scan, but that is different thread.
If i upgrade from Trusty server to Vivid Vervet will I need to recompile VDR and plugins and will the upstart scripts work as with Trusty?

I always need to compile dvb drivers once the trusty kernel is updated, and the dvb driver is already included in Vivid Vervet's kernel, would be much easier.
vivid switched from upstart to systemd which is much better. I have a vdr.path and a vdr.service in /etc/systemd/system

vdr.path:
Code:
[Path]
PathExists=/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
Unit=vdr.service

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

vdr.service:
Code:
[Service]
Type=simple
User=xbmc
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/runvdr
Thanks! So what needs to be replaced or added from the first post, step by step, as I'm so n00b...
drop step 10 from first post and create the two files mentioned in #42

you may need to adjust User (vdr.service) to the name of the user who starts vdr on your system.
Excellent, many thanks! If I upgrade, not fresh install, do I need to compile vdr and the plugins again?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to compile vdr + vnsiserver from source1