Gotham - buffering regression ?
(2014-09-10, 16:59)ironic_monkey Wrote: it is just the gui not being updated. it's caching just fine. i'm more worried about the 100% spin of a core during buffering..

Can't say I've had any CPU trouble, all four of my cores rest around 2% when "buffering".

I can let the stream sit in a paused state for 10 minutes, hit play and the video won't move ahead any further than if I had let it sit for 10 seconds. Buffers fine while the video is playing - hence the problem is only apparent with a slow/intermittent stream or a highly variable bitrate. As soon as that cache empties it does not refill.

The GUI problem that you mention - how long has this bug been present?
I'm also having problems with buffering on highly variable bitrate files. I can see the cache emptying without refilling, but if you advance and go back it starts buffering again. I'm using a wired connection so bandwidth isn't an issue.
Is it too soon to bring back the idea of bypassing the cache limiter altogether, based on config? I've ran on a private Frodo-based branch doing just that, without any trouble, for over a year. Switching to Gotham 13.1/13.2 on a more powerful hardware and wired connection -- and what do you know? Seeing playback problems again (can't be sure those are buffering related, yet).

I'll know more once I've successfully built the Android binary, which seems to be quite an undertaking (dependencies build is failing in all kinds of colorful ways).
If you set readbufferfactor to a large number such as 10 or more then you have effectively disabled the throttling. Does that make a difference ?
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
(2014-09-28, 23:09)alex_a Wrote: Is it too soon to bring back the idea of bypassing the cache limiter altogether, based on config? I've ran on a private Frodo-based branch doing just that, without any trouble, for over a year. Switching to Gotham 13.1/13.2 on a more powerful hardware and wired connection -- and what do you know? Seeing playback problems again (can't be sure those are buffering related, yet).

I'll know more once I've successfully built the Android binary, which seems to be quite an undertaking (dependencies build is failing in all kinds of colorful ways).

Given the debate between the devs about this the last time it was brought up, I think it would be doubtful. It would be more likely that the devs are open to raising the limit so that the cache is filled faster, but not removing it altogether.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham - buffering regression ?1