My New Build, Home Cinema thread.
Hi All,

I'm a regular member over at avforums and have recently swtiched my home cinema system to XBMC so thought I'd showcase my home cinema here. It's by no means a show stopper compared to some but thought I'd share it with the world.

Me, my partner and 2 children bought our first home 2 years ago, this was a brand new house so didn't want to go destroying too many of the walls.

Below is a kit list of everything running on my home cinema. HTPC is total overkill for XBMC but it's also running a lot of things in the background. Using a HP Media Receiver so can use the Harmony to browse XBMC. Keyboard shortcut set to load and close XBMC which i've mapped to the Power On/ Off on the Harmony.

Kit List:
Samsung UE55F6740 LED TV
Pioneer VSX-527 Amp
Pioneer S-HS100 satellite speakers
Pioneer SW-21 Subwoofer
Sky+ HD
HTPC Running Win7 64bit and XBMC Aeon Nox
Sony Playstation 4
Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
Netgear 8 port gigabit switch
TP Link gigabit power line adapters
Logitech Harmony One+

HTPC Specs:
Intel Core i3 4130 3.4Ghz CPU
4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Gigabyte mITX H87N-WIFI Motherboard
60GB Kingston V300 SSD
Antec ISK110 Mini-ITX Case
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

The House:

First was to get the tv bracket up and cables in the wall. My last property was solid walls which made chasing cables a nightmare. This was dead easy as the wall was dot and dab. We made 2 holes and just fed a feeder string through with a wire coat hanger to pull the cables:

Center and front surround speakers have also been placed in walls:

TV finally mounted with the surround sound speakers (excuse the mess this was moving day)

My Partner has a thing for chosing stupid wallpaper, she decided to go with this for the main wall.

A change of speakers meant I had to lose the center speaker above the tv. Luckily I changed them before we wallpapered so the hole just had to be filled.

Mrs decided she wanted the colour scheme to be Silver, Black and Cream which meant the Walnut tv unit had to go. Spent nearly a year trying to find the perfect tv unit and ended up having to get one imported from Germany. Original idea was to leave the 2 centre drawers like in the below picture.

But after a quick trip to the local DIY store I got some magnetic catches and decided just to stick the 2 drawer fronts onto the unit using these catches. Looks 10x better.

Originally had a 47" tv but upgraded to a 55 part way through.

The Laminate flooring was always just temp until we could afford to put down some decent carpets.Put this carpet down a few weeks back with some 11mm tredaire dreamwalk underlay underneath bringing total thickness up to about 25mm. It's so lush and soft.

We also done the dining room at the same time, remember what i was saying about my partner and her wild wallpaper choices :-\

Originally the home cinema was running a Dune HD with Zappiti video jukebox. This was swapped out in favour for the HTPC running XBMC. So finally some pictures of xbmc.

There are currently no further plans to change any of the tech. I really want a Projector and Drop down screen and have the money sitting there but need to get approval from she who must be obeyed.

Thank you for taking your time to read my home cinema install. I'll happily answer any question you may have to ask :-)

Messages In This Thread
My New Build, Home Cinema thread. - by GTunney - 2014-03-24, 13:11
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My New Build, Home Cinema thread.0