Using iPhone Personal Hotspot/laptop to connect ATV1 with XBMC to the internet
Lightbulb 
Hello All,

I have my ATV1 hooked up with XBMC and it is a fantastic machine. For the installation, I miraculously overcame every single possible challenge there could have been, and now have it up and running beautifully with one exception…

The internet usage in my house has a limit, and doing all I want to do will certainly use up some serious bandwidth.

However, I have a phone plan - separate provider- through my work with a sweet unlimited data deal.

My next challenge to overcome (or not if it is impossible) is to hook up my ATV1 to my Macbook Pro with an ethernet cable. My Macbook pro will be using my iPhone's personal hotspot feature to connect to my unlimited data plan.

This will allow me to avoid using the limited data in my house (my parent's home), and use the data from my personal phone plan to hook up my ATV1 with XBMC to the internet.

I am aware this may be a complex problem, and since I am not very experienced with matters like this I do not know if it is possible.

If anybody is willing to assist, or has any advice to share as to the feasibility of this, it would be graciously appreciated.

Cheers

N
On the Macbook just go to System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet sharing and set it up to share the MBP's internet via ethernet port. Then it should work. I did this exact setup for a short while when I first moved into an apartment a few years back, using an iPhone to MBP to ATV1 :D
Thanks Ned!

Unfortunately, I still can't seem to connect with this method. It simply doesn't recognize an internet connection.

I was wondering if there was some sort of changes to be made to the XBMC Network settings in order to get it to work?

I've tried several ethernet cables, have reset both systems, and have my MBP Internet Sharing set up via Ethernet to share Wifi.
Nevermind, got it to work!

Thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using iPhone Personal Hotspot/laptop to connect ATV1 with XBMC to the internet0