NFS issues continue with Gotham beta 2
(2014-03-27, 19:46)brazen1 Wrote: Switching O/S to accommodate NFS isn't an option for many of us imo. Personally I use Windows on 1 PC to do EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING including being an HTPC and a common everyday computer tasking many functions besides multimedia home theatre entertainment. I have added an AVR and some USB peripherals. There is nothing a NAS, standalone, or Linux/Unix/OpenElec, etc O/S is going to do more efficient, with ease of use, functionality, economically or popularity than my little ol' W7 PC aside from this XBMC NFS Windows issue and I can back that statement up.

SMB was ok for DVD material in the past. Not anymore. Streaming Blu-Ray WiFi with the best of routers and adapters is still impossible. Using AC1900 right now. Some titles work without buffering, some don't. NFS helps a bunch. Powerline adapters are also finicky. Wired there is no problems but many of us cannot add Ethernet cable throughout our homes so we depend on WiFi and that Wifi depends on NFS now and that NFS depends on Windows. Well, Microsoft gave up on NFS. It isn't even included in Windows anymore. So, we go to a 3rd party (Hanewin). I've been using it long enough to know it works better than SMB, it's simple, and I like it.

The point is, switching O/S from Windows to something more easily compatible with NFS is out of the question for users like me. I will use the broken functionality of libnfs and or an XBMC backward version before I would ever change my O/S or add a standalone device. It would be a step backward, not forward. Please pursue this issue and don't give up on it. I don't write code and I am not as techy as others here but I can follow directions and offer help where I can.

That's definitely fair enough. I ran mine with Windows for years. I found that I was really only running XBMC on it and a great xmbc user convinced me to use OpenElec and I haven't looked back. Super fast boot right into XBMC and all hardware is automatically set up, no messing with drivers. NFS works perfectly as well. You can install it onto a USB stick like I did and boot off that to test it out. Another user told me he would never use Windows on an HTPC. I found it a good learning experience. While I haven't gone with Ubuntu, OE is really just a Linux OS designed to run XBMC. While testing it on a USB stick, I found that I wasn't missing anything from Windows. Any hardware I plugged in was recognized. My Nyxboard, diNovo mini, etc. Try installing it to a USB stick and see if you like it. You might find that you don't need Windows at all.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4

Messages In This Thread
RE: NFS issues continue with Gotham beta 2 - by patseguin - 2014-03-28, 16:06
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFS issues continue with Gotham beta 20