HD from DVB-T2 "surround sound"
I'm well aware that 3.2 is not exactly current, however this is on an ATV1, not a dedicated Linux box...

You have said it looks like a kernel bug in ALSA, do you have a specific bug ID in mind ?
I just looked at the channel config it outputs.

Start sane debugging. speaker-test -c 6 and see what happens

Stop xbmc before (of course).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Code:
$ aplay -L
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
default:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, ALC889A Analog
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=Intel
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC889A Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=3
    HDA Intel, HDMI 0
dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=3
    HDA Intel, HDMI 0
hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=3
    HDA Intel, HDMI 0
plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=3
    HDA Intel, HDMI 0

If I run "speaker-test -Dhdmi:Intel -c 6 -twav" my receiver sees a 2 channel input, and I hear the front left and front right channels

I have also tried "speaker-test -Dhw:Intel,3 -c 6 -twav" & "speaker-test -Dplughw:Intel -c 6 -twav" with the same results.

Your suggestion of "speaker-test -c 6" produces no output, presumably because the default output is analog, and I only have HDMI connected.

If in xbmc I play the Fraunhofer AAC test https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/ChID-BLITS-EBU.mp4 my receiver sees a 2 channel input, and I hear the front left and front right channels.
the speaker-test -c 6 was obviously meant to be combined with your hdmi output. But that was what I wanted to tell you: kernel bug. If alsa with speaker-test, aplay does not work - xbmc can't too. So update your kernel and retry. That thingy that you run is debian based, so there should be an option to use a newer kernel.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Just to follow up, updating the kernel on an ATV1 is not a simple task...

I got an Intel i3 NUC and installed XBMCuntu, playing the clip, the receiver sees the multi channel audio, but XBMC still shows it as 2.0 on screen.
Depends on your settings ... and your output configuration, make sure to read the description.
Quote:Channel count : 2 channels
Original Channel count : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz / 22.05 KHz

Test that one: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...20Test.avi

You can use it as a test for multichannel (disable AC3) or as passthrough test.

For the nuc and xbmcbuntu, make sure you use the v13 version. The older xbmcbuntu which is based on 12.10 misses the same relevant kernel patches for this hardware.
XBMCuntu 13 git20140329.0731-beta3

I have the output set to 5.1 with "Best Match" and passthrough is enabled for all options

As per my previous, the receiver shows the multi channel audio, but XBMC displays onscreen that the audio is 2.0, and if I go to the audio output selection it only shows as Stereo.

The Dolby Digital test you linked to, displays as Dobly Digital, if I enable passthrough, the receiver sees the Dolby Digital signal and correctly decodes it, and if I disable passthrough, it sees the multi channel output

Apologies, I haven't made my point very clearly.

If the receiver is seeing the multi channel output from XBMC when playing the clip, why is XBMC only showing 2.0 ?
Cause it most likely parses the "2 channels" that I posted you above. The better question is: Do you hear anything on the other 4 channels? :-)
I hear the multi channel audio while XBMC is showing that it is only 2.0 audio.

So to my (uneducated) mind, it looks as if XBMC is not parsing the multi channel audio correctly, at least as far as displaying what it is playing.

Is this a bug ?
That's a bug, yes. But nothing critical, if it would be the other way round - that would be a big problem.

to be sure, post a xbmc debug log when playing that file correctly (with your non broken kernel machine)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD from DVB-T2 "surround sound"0