• 6(current)
SMB shares with Windows Vista does not work
Samba with Vista is not supported yet.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Ok, thanks a lot for your replies. I am searching in the forum to view some post about it....
The fix should be in svn now though... try it, if it works its a bonus Smile

Please let us know.
I've also been searching high and low for a solution to this! Looks like the latest SVN build could have a fix, as of 93 minutes ago!
http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/x...iew=markup

Shame I'm at work and can't try it out!Oo
I tried it out yesterday, and here's my experience.

It ALMOST works. My files show up like before, except the files aren't filtered so I see even my hidden files (desktop.ini, thumbs.db). And, every file is listed as a directory instead of a file.

When clicking on a file, or a folder, a username/password dialog appears, the title of the dialog being "Lock Preferences for sm..." I've tried messing with the passwords, I still get the dialog every time. You can browse folders, but files won't play because xbmc thinks they are a directory.

Don't know if it's an xbmc issue or a vista preference checkbox somewhere, but I've been unable to diagnose because I'm no developer.

Good work, so close!Rolleyes
I compiled a build today and have been messing around with it but no joy. As mentioned it is closer to working i.e. it can now see the workgroup and the directory shared but wont play the things inside. It also constantly asks for password even when trying to access through workgroup. I tried moving everything out of the shared folder then back in but that made no difference. I also tried various settings in secpol.msc but couldn't find a winning combination. It seems close but we must be missing something maybe at the Vista end. hmmmm
have you tried changing the directory's owner and user permissions? I know it wasn't something we had to do with WinXP but I suspect that is the change I did that got ccxgui working with Vista.
jeffmik Wrote:have you tried changing the directory's owner and user permissions? I know it wasn't something we had to do with WinXP but I suspect that is the change I did that got ccxgui working with Vista.

I have ccxgui working as well, but I have UAC (User Account Control) off. The problem just seems to be that files are being listed as directories and the constant prompting for un/pass when nothing is pw protected.
files listed as directories is the same as permission denied actually ( it fails to retrieve additional info on the entry )
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

elupus Wrote:files listed as directories is the same as permission denied actually ( it fails to retrieve additional info on the entry )

That is great to know, thanks!!!

Will have to keep trying...Oo
Are you trying this new update with the latest RTM Vista? Its just that I've seen the workarounds for previous attempts to resolve this and they all say to alter settings in 'secpol.msc' but that just doesn't exist in the RTM versions I have tried (Home Basic, Home Premium and Ultimate). I need to suss out the XDK and compile myself a version I suppose to try. How often are the CVS (well SVN now!) releases compiled?
fdrzrich Wrote:Are you trying this new update with the latest RTM Vista? Its just that I've seen the workarounds for previous attempts to resolve this and they all say to alter settings in 'secpol.msc' but that just doesn't exist in the RTM versions I have tried (Home Basic, Home Premium and Ultimate). I need to suss out the XDK and compile myself a version I suppose to try. How often are the CVS (well SVN now!) releases compiled?

Yes, RTM (Build 6000)
Never messed with the secpol.msc, will try that now. I have ultimate installed, and it's there. (Start - Run - secpol.msc). A lot of settings though, I'll play with it and see what I come up with.

As far as how often, depends on the releaser, Tech does one about once a week, sometimes longer. SVN was just updated with the smb fix yesterday though, I doubt you'll find a release with it somewhere.
Hmm, weird then, I'm also on build 6000...no secpol.msc or sec.msc found....very strange. Any ideas why I dont have it?

The instructions for changing settings are here, http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion...20929.html - post from 'ebob9' about half way down....let me know if it works!
just tried that post, and it didn't really help at all.

Next I'll try reading the whole thread from the beginning.

There has been some progression though, it still lists directories, but it will list the files as well, with the thumbnails and imdb info. It won't filter out the "CD1" out of the filenames, though. It will play the file after clicking it twice. And it keeps asking for a password that I have to keep setting a blank password, then it lets me through just to prompt me again after I try to change directories.
when I go into my movie shares with xbmc, I set a blank password, and then I get access to every other file.Stare
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB shares with Windows Vista does not work2