• 4(current)
SMB shares with Windows Vista does not work
for SMB you just have to wait until SAMBA fixed it, see http://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3794
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hi,

I just wanted to confirm what the symptoms are with trying to access shares on VISTA via SMB.

When I try and do this...

I get a dialog box saying "Cannot connect to network server"

Is this what is expected ? I seen a few people posted that they are getting the username/password dialog. I am not getting this.

Hope you can shed some light.

Cheers
Xan

Also has anyone tried the workaround at the very bottom of this article ?
https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3794
Hi,

What version of SAMBA is currently in XBMC ?

Samba 3.0.23c apparently fixes the issues with vista
http://de.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.0.23c.html
* Support raw NTLMSSP authentication for Windows Vista clients.

Cheers
Xan
xbmc currently is using 3.0.23b
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Any ideas of when it will be updated ?
More than likely some time after vista is publicly widely used or all the devs do a changeover to vista. I dont see the later of the 2 happening as I know some of the devs are VERY particular about some issues regarding privacy and to be honest.... vista is the greatest piece of spyware microsoft has ever developed.
well i'm not one of those, ( thou currently don't have a machine that will run it properly ). and no the c release didn't fix this, if you reread what you quoted, you will see that is says vista clients. we are a client vista is the server.

thou there is a fix for vista in the upcomming d release, wich I will update to when it comes out (and we have left feature freeze)

Thanks for the info elupus ...

I have just bought a new PC, installed Vista RC2 and migrated everything over without testing XBMC access to it Sad

Might just usee ccxGUI till this the d release comes out and is incl in XBMC

Cheers
Xan
or do the workaround that you would find if you searched this forums. (hint local policy)

Hi eluplus,

I tried the workaround using Local Policy but that didn't work for me. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I followed it exactly.

A few users keep getting the username/password prompt. All I get is a dialog box saying "Cannot connect to network server"

Just managed to get ccxstream working on Vista ...

..Unless you have any other suggestions regarding the workaround Wink am using Vista RC2.

Cheers
Xan
i would think it's something with windows firewall if you keep getting that message.

Hi again,

I had Windows Firewall disabled when I was trying this out.

Cheers
Xan
Sad 
I find this hard to believe that this is Vistas problem.
I have just upgraded from an older version of XBMC (well over a year old) to the latest 11-05-2006 CVS.
Prior to the upgrade, I have been accessing my Vista shares since I started Beta testing Vista, through the older XBMC. There were NO PROBLEMS at all.
Now, since this 2.0 version, there are problems.

I am constantly getting asked for USER/PASS when going through share directories and finally when I get to a file I want to open, say M3U, I get some NOT_A_DIRECTORY error.

Since this worked on an older XBMC with the exact same version of Vista (5744), this only points to be problem with newer versions XBMC and the way its dealing with the SMB shares......

Any ideas?
Not being able to read that SMB not working link from a few posts above, I'm not able to know whether or not this is a known SAMBA issue... or what... hence me continuing to post my last post.
Anyways, going through my XBMC.log I show the following:

13:54:07 M: 37273600 ERROR: DIRECTORY::CSMBDirectory::GetDirectory - Failed to stat file smb://blah:blah@POWER/FTP/some directory

I get a tonne of these, then

13:56:17 M: 35966976 ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://blah:blah@POWER/FTP/Incoming/MP3/01_i%5B1%5D.r.s.mp3'
unix_err:'7' nt_err : 'c0000103' error : 'NT_STATUS_NOT_A_DIRECTORY'
13:56:17 M: 35966976 ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(smb://POWER/FTP/Incoming/MP3/01_i[1].r.s.mp3/) failed
13:56:23 M: 35971072 ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://blah:blah@POWER/FTP/Incoming/MP3'
unix_err:'7' nt_err : 'c0000022' error : 'Access denied'
13:56:23 M: 35971072 ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(smb://POWER/FTP/Incoming/MP3/) failed

There's that NOT_A_DIRECTORY error... when im trying to open a single file to play in the player in XBMC....

Any ideas now? I'm going to manually write to the source.xml file for all of this to see if this helps....
I installed ccxgui with and without the service feature and cannot get it to work with Vista. The ccxtest app does not connect even though when I minimise ccxgui it says its running fine on port 1400. I have port forwarded in my router and disabled windows firewall completely to diagnose. Also have tried running some of the exe with windows xp SP2 compatibility mode.

Any suggestions?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB shares with Windows Vista does not work2