Xbmc freeze and reset issues
I honestly have no idea what to suggest next regarding the drives. This really shouldn't be happening. Is there some newer ROMs / firmware available for your box?

Xbmc on Android isn't quite where we would love to see it atm. General poor Android driver support and closed-source kernels have been holding back alot of progress. If you really love this on Android, give it time. If not - I strongly suggest OpenElec for low-power devices (or maybe even Windows 7/8 on a NUC).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Nah. Its an Ouya. She's updated. I've poked 9 devices in and all but 1 freak out. It's technology.

I don't knew what OpenElec or an NUC is. Google time for me.

I was hoping to just GET a box and not have to build something. I can figure it out, but I'm just sick of spending weeks learning stuff then never using the info again.

Regardless, I barely touched XBMC before Ouya, because Boxee was cool. I should have started Xbmc so long ago.
For the simple uses, XBMC is fairly intuitive - on pretty much any platform. That said it is very flexible, and can be adapted to most needs. This is where "complications" and hard work come in. It works fairly well out of the box, and the setups are fairly newbie friendly. The XBMC Wiki's are a haven of guides, pointers and other resources.

OpenELEC is a small Linux distro, designed for XBMC Media Center use. NUCs (Intel's "Next Unit of Computing") are tiny, fullworth computers. While the higher end NUCs pack some saucy price tags, the recent Celeron NUCs (like DN2820FYKH ) are about ~$120. They're not much for photoshop, but I have one of these and it performs much better than my i3 ultrabook. All else you need is a sata drive and a some RAM. If you choose to go with OpenELEC, you can even run it off a USB memory stick, and skip the internal storage (although I would reccommend a small SSD).

Personally I have 4GB RAM and a cheap 120GB SSD. Full cost, about $220. It is easily 2x the price of these android boxes... but it is also a fullworthy computer. Mine runs windows 8.1 pro - and while I mostly use it for XBMC - this also serves well for Netflix, UPnP Media server (using XBMCs library), utorrent server, small webserver.. and general web browsing etc. It can do anything other computers can do.

And when I want, I can use my Android tablet as a very intuitive and fully configurable toucscreen remote for XBMC on my NUC. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=117885

All along, my own intentions for media center was an Minix NEO X7 when they came out. You have no idea how glad I am, that I ended up with a "computer" instead (or, well... maybe you do). Those extra ~$70 was well spent. You get what you pay for, they say. Well - my personal experience, is that with this NUC, I got way more than expected.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc freeze and reset issues0