• 135(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
Can someone please clarify this line from the Wiki article:

Quote:VC-1 and MPEG2 are not hardware decoded in XBMC on the Fire TV.

What does that mean for playing DVD ISOs and VOBs and Blu-ray rips? Jerky video, frame rate drops, out of sync audio, or just not playable?
(2014-04-29, 20:24)ilovemymac Wrote: Anyone with experience on RC1 vs recent nightly on here?
Yep, installed xbmc-13.0-Gotham_rc1-armeabi-v7a.apk on all 3 of my FTV's. No issues so far, and not noticing any difference vs. the last nightly (April 18) I had.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I have had zero problem using SMB on the AFTV.

I detect a little hate towards SMB here. Maybe my good experience is because I'm using an actual server not a NAS.

Regardless, from my perspective SMB on the AFTV works flawlessly.
I want to copy my settings (library, skin, etc.) from one FTV to another FTV. Both have Gotham RC1. I just tried this (from the wiki)...
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml
...but, got a "does not exist" error. Is the command something different?
My HT
(2014-04-29, 22:55)hdmkv Wrote: I want to copy my settings (library, skin, etc.) from one FTV to another FTV. Both have Gotham RC1. I just tried this (from the wiki)...
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

did you ever create advancedsettings.xml where you're pulling from.
Okay, that could be my issue :$ ... to create advancedsettings.xml, do I do this from within settings?
My HT
(2014-04-29, 22:55)hdmkv Wrote: I want to copy my settings (library, skin, etc.) from one FTV to another FTV. Both have Gotham RC1. I just tried this (from the wiki)...
Code:

The code you posted will only pull the advanced settings.xml. Your error is vague, it could refer to the advancedsettings.xml file not existing, adb not existing. If you want to pull all data (ie. thumbnails folder, databases, etc) use

Code:
adb pull /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata

This will pull the entire userdata folder to your local machine.
(2014-04-29, 21:58)thefrog Wrote:
(2014-04-29, 21:08)who.is.matt Wrote: Okay, I know that we need to be focusing on using the Gotham build since that's the direction we're moving, but I'm using SPMC on my FTV since I'm sharing my media library among multiple devices, and Gotham isn't quite ready for all of those devices yet. That said, I'm seeing a bit of an odd error when exiting out of at least some videos.

When a video ends either by clicking the stop button in the OSD or when the video reaches the end, I briefly get a screen tiled with smaller versions of the OSD. It's primarily an annoyance, but it's the only real problem I've had using XBMC on the FTV. Any ideas on what might be causing it or how to fix it?

I see a similar thing when pressing play. It was brief and not terribly disturbing. We should each try capturing a camera video of it occurring and posting it. I hadn't thought of it as a problem before -- and now it escapes my notice because I am 'used' to it.

See the same thing on gotham nightlies when hitting 'stop', its not a problem, but since you guys mentioned it Smile
(2014-04-29, 23:09)kalikid021 Wrote:
Code:

The code you posted will only pull the advanced settings.xml. Your error is vague, it could refer to the advancedsettings.xml file not existing, adb not existing. If you want to pull all data (ie. thumbnails folder, databases, etc) use

Code:
adb pull /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata

This will pull the entire userdata folder to your local machine.
Thanks, that worked. Would I push the same way to a new FTV? Basically, don't want to go through adding sources, add-ons, etc. all over again on my 2nd and 3rd FTV's. Thanks.
My HT
(2014-04-29, 22:38)Knocks Wrote: Can someone please clarify this line from the Wiki article:

Quote:VC-1 and MPEG2 are not hardware decoded in XBMC on the Fire TV.

What does that mean for playing DVD ISOs and VOBs and Blu-ray rips? Jerky video, frame rate drops, out of sync audio, or just not playable?

I play DVD ISO files perfectly fine. Folks playing HD MPEG2 video streams may experience problems -- reports vary.

VC-1 encoded BD ISO videos are at low frame-rate (12-16 fps) and appear jerky -- I find them unwatchable.
(2014-04-29, 20:38)thefrog Wrote:
(2014-04-29, 20:26)jjhtpc Wrote:
(2014-04-29, 18:45)Methanoid Wrote: ISTR this was asked and answered in this thread already!!!!!!!! Wont happen due to licensing issues... Search for the full answer?

When I mean investigate. I mean a way to be creative. What if a vanilla xbmc app (no dts/dd or licensed items in the build, more of a place holder) were submitted. This would allow us to possibly replace the app store xbmc with a fully functioning one. Allowing xbmc to be seen as a supported app, but with limited functionality until you side load.

This conversation initiated somewhere around this post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1673731

Since this is a 'more than FireTV' post, it should be relegated to it's own thread. It is likely to be ignored in the context of FireTV thread since it applies generally to android based stores and licensing. I think thwarting licensing is a taboo subject and should be generally avoided -- doubly-so in this Amazon Fire TV for XBMC thread.

Just my .02

I agree, this comes up a lot and the bottom line is no, they aren't going to stick a gimped version in the store (Google Play or Amazon) that users can then surreptitiously add features back to. One, this is dumb. Two, the major app stores aren't run by idiots and sooner or later will crack down on that (i.e. take it right back out of the store). Three, XBMC is a free, open source application created by volunteers and they could care less about it's "adoption rate". It's managed to become incredibly popular without being in an official store.

Just sideload it and be happy that works as well as it does. If you really want a button on the main FTV interface just install Plex and follow the wiki to turn it's app icon in to something that launches XBMC, even non technical family members can work that out.
(2014-04-29, 22:44)D3w4yne Wrote: I have had zero problem using SMB on the AFTV.

I detect a little hate towards SMB here. Maybe my good experience is because I'm using an actual server not a NAS.

Regardless, from my perspective SMB on the AFTV works flawlessly.

In the past, with other low-CPU devices, NFS has served me better. On Windows PCs, SMB serves me better. On PC class hardware running Linux, it makes no substantive difference.

I have not, as of yet, been able to attribute any problems on the AFTV to SMB. Since I support both transports, I will attempt to compare them qualitatively with some videos (BD ISOs) that played with some low-incidence problem (2 or 3 times per hour) and see if it makes a difference.

Both NFS and CIFS/SAMBA/SMB can benefit from tuning -- probably beyond the scope of AFTV conversation.
(2014-04-29, 23:56)ixian Wrote: Just sideload it and be happy that works as well as it does. If you really want a button on the main FTV interface just install Plex and follow the wiki to turn it's app icon in to something that launches XBMC, even non technical family members can work that out.

I did not see this part in the Wiki. How do I convert any app icon to launch XBMC?
(2014-04-29, 23:56)ixian Wrote:
(2014-04-29, 20:38)thefrog Wrote:
(2014-04-29, 20:26)jjhtpc Wrote: When I mean investigate. I mean a way to be creative. What if a vanilla xbmc app (no dts/dd or licensed items in the build, more of a place holder) were submitted. This would allow us to possibly replace the app store xbmc with a fully functioning one. Allowing xbmc to be seen as a supported app, but with limited functionality until you side load.

This conversation initiated somewhere around this post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1673731

Since this is a 'more than FireTV' post, it should be relegated to it's own thread. It is likely to be ignored in the context of FireTV thread since it applies generally to android based stores and licensing. I think thwarting licensing is a taboo subject and should be generally avoided -- doubly-so in this Amazon Fire TV for XBMC thread.

Just my .02

I agree, this comes up a lot and the bottom line is no, they aren't going to stick a gimped version in the store (Google Play or Amazon) that users can then surreptitiously add features back to. One, this is dumb. Two, the major app stores aren't run by idiots and sooner or later will crack down on that (i.e. take it right back out of the store). Three, XBMC is a free, open source application created by volunteers and they could care less about it's "adoption rate". It's managed to become incredibly popular without being in an official store.

Just sideload it and be happy that works as well as it does. If you really want a button on the main FTV interface just install Plex and follow the wiki to turn it's app icon in to something that launches XBMC, even non technical family members can work that out.

1. How is this dumb this would make xbmc a more seamless application with fire tv. Because having to navigate through settings applications and then all the way down to xbmc is the smoothest way to integrate this application. BTW don't call something dumb just because you don't like the idea, this does not present a solid argument.

2. I don't honestly think the amazon app store would care if it was a stripped down version or care what you do with the application once it is on your fire tv as long as the app agrees with their policies they will put it out there.

3. I would tend to think the devs absolutely like adoption. The whole point of open source is to bring it to the masses. Make it free for EVERYONE. In this scenario not EVERYONE is going to want to side load and then have to navigate through menus to get to their main app.

I am fully appreciative of the app group. I think XBMC is great and that they are making an amazing cross-platform product. I do understand that one-off requests aren't usually a big priority for android boxes or different platforms, but I also see this post has been the top android post for going on 4 weeks now and there is a large amount of interest from the XBMC Community and there are many of us that would like a more seemless integration if that is possible. I know it is a request and that is why I threw it out there. If it is not feasible so be it, I'm sure there will be a hack that puts the app on the main menu eventually.
(2014-04-30, 00:10)underworld123 Wrote:
(2014-04-29, 23:56)ixian Wrote: Just sideload it and be happy that works as well as it does. If you really want a button on the main FTV interface just install Plex and follow the wiki to turn it's app icon in to something that launches XBMC, even non technical family members can work that out.

I did not see this part in the Wiki. How do I convert any app icon to launch XBMC?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ama...mazon_Home
  • 135(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10