• 167(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
Can anyone confirm if XBMC can launch amazon video player app? I see it listed under Programs -> Android Apps in XBMC, but when I click on it, it does nothing. Netflix and Hulu+ both launch just fine from XBMC.
It would be nice to be able to use Amazon video, without having to exit XBMC.
If it can, how can I get XBMC to do it? I did not find anything in the wiki or via search in this thread.

Thanks
-AL
(2014-05-12, 22:47)SwiCago Wrote: Can anyone confirm if XBMC can launch amazon video player app? I see it listed under Programs -> Android Apps in XBMC, but when I click on it, it does nothing. Netflix and Hulu+ both launch just fine from XBMC.
If it can, how can I get XBMC to do it? I did not find anything in the wiki or via search in this thread.

Thanks
-AL

I don't believe you can launch Amazon Video from XBMC. Something to do with how the app is embeded in the FireTV Launcher as far as I can work out.
(2014-05-12, 22:58)Resnoid Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 22:47)SwiCago Wrote: Can anyone confirm if XBMC can launch amazon video player app? I see it listed under Programs -> Android Apps in XBMC, but when I click on it, it does nothing. Netflix and Hulu+ both launch just fine from XBMC.

Thanks
-AL

I don't believe you can launch Amazon Video from XBMC. Something to do with how the app is embeded in the FireTV Launcher as far as I can work out.

I wonder if we sideloaded Amazon Instant it could be opened through XBMC. I don't have access to the Amazon.apk but hopefully someone can try this out.
(2014-05-12, 23:11)jhatfield Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 22:58)Resnoid Wrote:

Thanks
-AL

I wonder if we sideloaded Amazon Instant it could be opened through XBMC. I don't have access to the Amazon.apk but hopefully someone can try this out.

No, because it is already apart of the Fire OS.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-05-12, 23:26)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 23:11)jhatfield Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 22:58)Resnoid Wrote: I don't believe you can launch Amazon Video from XBMC. Something to do with how the app is embeded in the FireTV Launcher as far as I can work out.

Maybe a different version Huh One from a kindle fire tablet maybe
(2014-05-12, 23:27)SwiCago Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 23:26)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 23:11)jhatfield Wrote: I wonder if we sideloaded Amazon Instant it could be opened through XBMC. I don't have access to the Amazon.apk but hopefully someone can try this out.

That is what I meant to say. Sideload a different version.
(2014-05-12, 23:47)jhatfield Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 23:27)SwiCago Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 23:26)Tinwarble Wrote: No, because it is already apart of the Fire OS.

Not unless that "different version" has a different signature. 2 versions can't reside on the same device unless they are signed differently.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-05-12, 23:51)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 23:47)jhatfield Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 23:27)SwiCago Wrote: Maybe a different version Huh One from a kindle fire tablet maybe

Not unless that "different version" has a different signature. 2 versions can't reside on the same device unless they are signed differently.

Wouldn't it by definition have a different signature if the code is anything but identical? Sorry, I'm looking at it from a cryptographic perspective, which might not completely apply here.
(2014-05-12, 02:50)underworld123 Wrote: wifi works. Use the adb connect IP_ADDRESS command to connect to your Fire TV and then adb install APK_File. See Wiki for more details.
(2014-05-12, 04:02)jocala Wrote: You can only sideload via the network. USB does not work for sideloading.

adb connect 999.999.999.999: 5555 -- substitute your firetv IP for the 999s
(2014-05-12, 06:43)navigates Wrote: Connect using ip address of AFTV
adb connect 192.168.1.15
then adb install something.apk
ensure the apk is in the folder where apk exists or have apk in its path.
(2014-05-12, 16:09)civicguy Wrote: Try this link or this link
Thanks for all the responses. I know what I am supposed to do I think. I just can't get the commands in the CMD window to work.I am guessing two possible problems. I did not download java upgrade I saw recommended once. I am somehow in the wrong location when I type the address for the command. I keep getting a message about adb bot being recognized as a command. .
(2014-05-13, 01:29)haikuginger Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 23:51)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 23:47)jhatfield Wrote: That is what I meant to say. Sideload a different version.

Wouldn't it by definition have a different signature if the code is anything but identical? Sorry, I'm looking at it from a cryptographic perspective, which might not completely apply here.

No, and I think you're confusing things. It would install to the same "folder structure", just like you can't install different versions of the "official" XBMC apk side by side because they all install to the same folder structure so they would be either a "upgrade" or "downgrade" depending on the version. However, you can install the official XBMC and XBMC for Ouya side by side because they have different signatures.

Also, this has nothing to do with the function or operation of XBMC, so it really should end here since this forum is for XBMC specific issues or discussions.
(2014-05-13, 01:46)Lake Camelot Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 02:50)underworld123 Wrote: wifi works. Use the adb connect IP_ADDRESS command to connect to your Fire TV and then adb install APK_File. See Wiki for more details.
(2014-05-12, 04:02)jocala Wrote: You can only sideload via the network. USB does not work for sideloading.

adb connect 192.168.1.15
Thanks for all the responses. I know what I am supposed to do I think. I just can't get the commands in the CMD window to work.I am guessing two possible problems. I did not download java upgrade I saw recommended once. I am somehow in the wrong location when I type the address for the command. I keep getting a message about adb bot being recognized as a command. .

a quick google search came up with this page that shows you step by step with big photos, should be dummy proof

http://www.alashiban.com/running-xbmc-am...-tutorial/
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
Yes that link is in the responses above. My problem is not knowing what I am supposed to do. It is the fact I must be doing something wrong because. when I type the path and those command it says it doesn't recognize the command.

Anyone know of a possible cause of that? I realize this thread isn't here to solve my problems so I won't ask any more. But if anyone else has this problem and I figure it out It could help someone else. I am still on XP by the way if that is the problem.
(2014-05-13, 01:46)Lake Camelot Wrote:

adb connect 192.168.1.15

assuming you are using windows, open the folder that has the adb and the xbmc.apk file in it (they are supposed to be in the same folder). hold shift, right click on open command window here and then enter the commands you are supposed to enter.
(2014-05-13, 02:29)Lake Camelot Wrote: Yes that link is in the responses above. My problem is not knowing what I am supposed to do. It is the fact I must be doing something wrong because. when I type the path and those command it says it doesn't recognize the command.

Anyone know of a possible cause of that? I realize this thread isn't here to solve my problems so I won't ask any more. But if anyone else has this problem and I figure it out It could help someone else. I am still on XP by the way if that is the problem.

why not try the app someone wrote to automate the process.. i think its available in this thread and over on xda developers.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2014-05-12, 20:39)jtr2006 Wrote:
(2014-05-07, 14:02)jtr2006 Wrote:
(2014-05-06, 20:03)who.is.matt Wrote: Okay guys... Assuming Amazon will let me do it once they finally accept the app into the App Store, I'm thinking of changing the name of my app from "XBMC For Fire TV" to "XBMC On Fire". I'd also change the icons to something like this:

It's less device-specific while still remaining similar to the original idea. Since Fire TV users are the primary audience for the app, what do you guys think?

Like the new icon and the new name. Seems like a winner to me. Hoping Amazon lets it into the app store soon!

@who.is.matt: Any update on your app? Have you heard anything from Amazon? I think there are a lot of people wondering if this is going to make it into the app store and praying that it does! Soon!

According to the Amazon Developer Console for my account, the app is currently listed as "Under Review". Since I've never submitted an app to the Amazon App Store (or any app store) before, I don't have any idea how long it usually takes for an app to be approved.

I have a feeling based on some comments I've read on other sites that they're currently being a bit picky about approving apps for the Fire TV since the device is new and they want the apps that are initially available for it to be higher-than-usual quality. But once it's been on the market a while, they'll have to loosen up in order to keep it competitive with other Android-based set-top boxes. And since there's nothing really objectionable about my app, even if it's not accepted soon I'm pretty confident it will be accepted eventually. I'm keeping an eye on it, and I'll post if the status changes.
  • 167(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10