• 10(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-03, 20:57)ilovemymac Wrote:
(2014-04-03, 20:50)newbie2517 Wrote: Were you able to do any live streaming? I do alot of that. Will a newbie like myself be capable of installing? I currently have a gbox and was thinking of buying another box.

If this doesn't id re commend not getting a gbox. Why people use those I don't know they are slow and the company is awful with support. Well really they won't provide any support.
I like the minix x7 mini with quick shot rom on it it runs Xbmc quite well. But this with Netflix HD and AMA on could be great

I use the gbox because it came preloaded. Not really that tech savy. Just want to enjoy xbmc.
(2014-04-03, 21:11)thess Wrote:
(2014-04-03, 21:09)kentoe Wrote: Thess, thanks for checking some of this out.

What in particular APK are you using to sideload onto the Fire TV?

Super intrigued how well this will work out. Currently using a Raspbmc build on a raspberry pi and this device could potentially be a gamechanger.

xbmc-12.3-Frodo-armeabi-v7a.apk

I would strongly suggest you use Gotham beta 3, this is tailored to run smoothly on Android devices

Super intrigued how well this will work out. Currently using a Raspbmc build on a raspberry pi and this device could potentially be a gamechanger.

Thanks! Glad it's the latest and not some-one off build or something too.

Do you or anyone else know what the huge difference would be running XBMC off an apk like this and using an entire underlying linux build for xbmc? I haven't used it on Android before. Was hoping someone could crack this Fire TV open with Linux.
Voice control works within XBMC, meaning the voice control UI comes up, and then it'll take you back out to whatever you selected in the main menu (or the closest approximation). Trying to speak the names of items in XBMC (videos, weather) takes you to app store searches etc. (I assume we didn't think voice control would ON xbmc options, but in case we did...no.)
(2014-04-03, 21:16)kentoe Wrote:

Thanks! Glad it's the latest and not some-one off build or something too.

Do you or anyone else know what the huge difference would be running XBMC off an apk like this and using an entire underlying linux build for xbmc? I haven't used it on Android before. Was hoping someone could crack this Fire TV open with Linux.

Well it's actually not the latest but it's just good to know that the sideload worked with ease.

Here is the latest "nightly" of xbmc

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/androi...bi-v7a.apk

ARM processor
(2014-04-03, 21:20)daweeze02 Wrote: Well it's actually not the latest but it's just good to know that the sideload worked with ease.

Well I meant the latest "stable release" not including Gotham: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/android/
the only thing I want to use voice for is text to speech say you are in an app and want to search (if the app has a search option) can you push the search and instead of text use the voice button?
(2014-04-03, 21:23)kentoe Wrote:
(2014-04-03, 21:20)daweeze02 Wrote: Well it's actually not the latest but it's just good to know that the sideload worked with ease.

Well I meant the latest "stable release" not including Gotham: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/android/

Gotcha, I'm sure someone will load gotham tonight but if not I will test it out for tomorrow
I do not want to use a keyboard and mouse and remotes are a pain to do a search function
(2014-04-03, 21:25)daweeze02 Wrote: Gotcha, I'm sure someone will load gotham tonight but if not I will test it out for tomorrow

Sounds great, look forward to hearing back about this. I'm wondering how well it'll handle 1080p w/ 5.1 (DD+ | DTS | etc..) like someone said apparently the Gotham builds are much more stable for that stuff on Android: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Android_hardware

I also wonder if the Android remotes like Yatse or The Official XBMC Remote will work to connect through the Fire TV.
(2014-04-03, 21:27)kentoe Wrote:
(2014-04-03, 21:25)daweeze02 Wrote: Gotcha, I'm sure someone will load gotham tonight but if not I will test it out for tomorrow

Sounds great, look forward to hearing back about this. I'm wondering how well it'll handle 1080p w/ 5.1 (DD+ | DTS | etc..) like someone said apparently the Gotham builds are much more stable for that stuff on Android: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Android_hardware

Trust me I want to know as well. I have a 7.1 onkyo with pass through so with my Ouya I have to use SPMC with 5.1 since 7.1 doesn't work. I should have just used my prime overnight because now I'm itching to test it.
(2014-04-03, 21:06)thess Wrote: I still can't think of a way to get test content to it. While it's browsing nfs shares at work okay on the network, the local smb shares aren't showing up in the way I would have expected. I expect this has more to do with my work network than xbmc though, and I expect my NAS at home will be fine. It just means I don't have anywhere to drop stuff for the moment.

Meanwhile, I connected an NTFS formatted external drive to the Fire's USB port, but I don't think it's really working. You can browse to 'external storage' on xbmc but it looks like it's actually showing you local (device) files there.

XBMC does not appear in launcher, just in the Settings menu as per amazon's page.

(FWIW--I'm not any kind of XBMC expert, just an 'intermediate' user of several years, and I have no idea what I'm doing with android for the most part. I think I only ended up here with it working first because a) I got overnight shipping to my office, b) I'm extremely stubborn and have been trying to find the holy grail xbmc solution for a while, and c) I follow instructions pretty well. By which I mean to say: I think people who actually know what they are talking about will be involved soon enough.)

Can you see your external drive contents when you choose 'Root filesystem' -> 'mnt' folder on XBMC?
What is to prevent XBMC devs from submitting a build to amazon to include in the store in the near future to avoid having to go through settings to launch the app?
(2014-04-03, 21:16)kentoe Wrote: Do you or anyone else know what the huge difference would be running XBMC off an apk like this and using an entire underlying linux build for xbmc? I haven't used it on Android before. Was hoping someone could crack this Fire TV open with Linux.

AIUI one of the main differences between Android and Linux builds is that the Android XBMC has less direct access to the underlying hardware - so useful things like being able to adjust refresh rate based on the video format (very useful for those of us in Europe who watch 50Hz, 60Hz and 24Hz content and want them played at native frame rate to remove judder) are possible under Linux, but Android doesn't let apps control refresh rate. Similarly bit streaming audio is trickier under Android AIUI.

On the other hand you get all the Android ecosystem apps (potentially including Netflix or Amazon Instant Video depending on Android platform?) with Android.
to get XBMC to show up on the launch menu couldn't you you just decompile the app and edit the manifest. android-apktool: https://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10