• 27(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-05, 13:11)nordr Wrote: Wired ethernet, only libstagefright enabled. Hopefully you can make something of this?
Strange. Even on wired, it seems to suffer.
Once again, to confirm, I'd need a video with "o".

It would be interesting to have some speed stats of the network (outside XBMC), both on wifi and wired.
(2014-04-05, 13:01)garvani Wrote:
(2014-04-05, 12:29)~Craig~ Wrote: Also highly unlikely that this question is answerable but what would happen in terms of the services on the box itself, i.e I assume back here in the UK they would be unusable?
I assume they are software based so is it likely if and when it launches here they could be changed to what the UK will be offered?

I know that last question is pretty much impossible to answer but perhaps someone with better knowledge than me may have some insight into it (Perhaps through previous Amazon products?).
This is actually very easily done. All you need to do is subscribe to a DNS service such as unblock.us, you then add the dns entries they give you into your firetv. This basically tricks your box into thinking its in the US. Netflix, Amazon, etc etc, they all work as you would expect. They give you a free trial, so sign up and try it on your pc before you by the firetv.. nothing to lose Smile

(2014-04-05, 13:02)thezoggy Wrote:
(2014-04-05, 13:01)garvani Wrote:
(2014-04-05, 12:29)~Craig~ Wrote: Also highly unlikely that this question is answerable but what would happen in terms of the services on the box itself, i.e I assume back here in the UK they would be unusable?
I assume they are software based so is it likely if and when it launches here they could be changed to what the UK will be offered?

I know that last question is pretty much impossible to answer but perhaps someone with better knowledge than me may have some insight into it (Perhaps through previous Amazon products?).
This is actually very easily done. All you need to do is subscribe to a DNS service such as unblock.us, you then add the dns entries they give you into your firetv. This basically tricks your box into thinking its in the US. Netflix, Amazon, etc etc, they all work as you would expect. They give you a free trial, so sign up and try it on your pc before you by the firetv.. nothing to lose Smile

or use vpn?

Thanks for both the suggestions, That was something I had considered and would be a good solution to use before a UK launch happens.

When that does happen I ideally would like to set it to access UK content but that's where the situation becomes a little more unclear, After a search I found the original kindle never worked well for those who imported but some later hardware versions which did get a worldwide release were issued a software update to default it to their region.
I guess the question is if the same would happen with the Fire TV and nobody at this stage will know (Probably not even Amazon Confused )
(2014-04-05, 13:22)Koying Wrote: Strange. Even on wired, it seems to suffer.

It would be interesting to have some speed stats of the network (outside XBMC), both on wifi and wired.
Sure, I just PM'd you a video.

As far as network speed, I'm able to stream via the wired ethernet on XBMC on an Apple TV 2 just fine, so I don't think the bottleneck is there. I could do some tests anyway - just not sure how to accomplish that exactly.
(2014-04-05, 14:00)nordr Wrote:

As far as network speed, I'm able to stream via the wired ethernet on XBMC on an Apple TV 2 just fine, so I don't think the bottleneck is there. I could do some tests anyway - just not sure how to accomplish that exactly.

I believe hes just trying to see what sort of throughput the fire tv has, to see if the network soc is the bottleneck. Im not sure what sort of benchmarks can be done on such things however
(2014-04-05, 14:00)nordr Wrote: As far as network speed, I'm able to stream via the wired ethernet on XBMC on an Apple TV 2 just fine, so I don't think the bottleneck is there. I could do some tests anyway - just not sure how to accomplish that exactly.
Thanks. The behaviour is strange... At one point, the network seems stuck (all buffers emptying quickly). When the network keeps up, playback seems fine.
When I speak about network speed, I'm thinking about a firmware issue with the box, not the quality of your network.
(2014-04-05, 08:02)thezoggy Wrote: please update first post, for instructions / latest build / info use:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV

Updated
(2014-04-05, 14:00)nordr Wrote:

Ditto here on the ATV2, or even wifi, but I'm only pushing 720p files usually (the same files choking on the Fire).
Koying: It says you are in Belgium. I see you asking people to test out your builds. I was wondering if you have a firetv on the way to you in Belgium, seems it would be much easier to develop if you had one. Are you even able to order one in your country yet?
(2014-04-05, 03:41)AiRTiMe34 Wrote: @thess I've been able to get my Harmony One remote to control my Fire TV by just selecting my TV under devices and the CEC on my TV controls the Fire TV.

Oh, nice. I noticed my Samsung was referring to the Amazon Fire as being on "HDMI1-CEC", thought 'huh that's weird' and forgot about it. CEC has been the only way I've been able to (sort of) control the PS4 so far, so I'm picking up what you're putting down. Thanks a lot.

Oh, and EDIT: I played around some more with Plex last night (to be clear: I've tried and rejected Plex many times, I vastly prefer XBMC), just as a point of comparison/troubleshooting. I have a vanilla plex server installed on a mac mini. The same files (and 1080i files) play fine, even over my wifi (N/5ghz). There was some discussion earlier in the thread about whether plex transcodes on the backend. (Some said yes, some said no.) I have no idea. Is there anything I can do to prove it one way or another, AND does the fact that these files stream okay to the plex client on the Fire prove anything useful about potential networking issues on the Fire?
(2014-04-05, 15:41)fnc1 Wrote: Koying: It says you are in Belgium. I see you asking people to test out your builds. I was wondering if you have a firetv on the way to you in Belgium, seems it would be much easier to develop if you had one. Are you even able to order one in your country yet?
Nah, I cannot even order it Wink
It will take mucho time before it comes in Europe, if ever...

I'll be in the US in September, but I'm not sure I want to spend $100 on yet another droid box Wink
(2014-04-05, 15:45)thess Wrote: Oh, and EDIT: I played around some more with Plex last night (to be clear: I've tried and rejected Plex many times, I vastly prefer XBMC), just as a point of comparison/troubleshooting. I have a vanilla plex server installed on a mac mini. The same files (and 1080i files) play fine, even over my wifi (N/5ghz). There was some discussion earlier in the thread about whether plex transcodes on the backend. (Some said yes, some said no.) I have no idea. Is there anything I can do to prove it one way or another, AND does the fact that these files stream okay to the plex client on the Fire prove anything useful about potential networking issues on the Fire?

The best way to check would be to watch/screenshot the CPU utilization on your host PC while playing back. If it doesn't climb a fair amount, there's probably not any transcoding going on.

If you're using a surround sound receiver, you can also watch to see if the codec the Fire is passing it is the same as is actually stored in the file.
Is there a way to import one of these to europe? Amazon.com wont ship outside us.
Charliebrown: Looks like youd have to have someone buy one for you now and ship it to you.
Koying: PM
(2014-04-05, 14:13)Koying Wrote:
(2014-04-05, 14:00)nordr Wrote: As far as network speed, I'm able to stream via the wired ethernet on XBMC on an Apple TV 2 just fine, so I don't think the bottleneck is there. I could do some tests anyway - just not sure how to accomplish that exactly.
Thanks. The behaviour is strange... At one point, the network seems stuck (all buffers emptying quickly). When the network keeps up, playback seems fine.
When I speak about network speed, I'm thinking about a firmware issue with the box, not the quality of your network.

if the Amazon Fire TV fireware was causing lag why is it working on the XBMC on Ouya version? on the video i run XBMC v13 xbmc-20140404-eb4e0ea-fixamcoutput-armeabi-v7a.apk to compare gotham vs the ouya version of xbmc.
(2014-04-05, 16:05)DiegoMejia Wrote:
(2014-04-05, 14:13)Koying Wrote:

if the Amazon Fire TV fireware was causing lag why is it working on the XBMC on Ouya version? on the video i run XBMC v13 xbmc-20140404-eb4e0ea-fixamcoutput-armeabi-v7a.apk to compare gotham vs the ouya version of xbmc.
Indeed. As I said, it's quite strange...
Did you try libstagefright on Gotham?
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10