• 31(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
So I have seen a few mentions regarding the USB port,
It is "live" for a keyboard, mouse etc but not USB thumb drives / hard drives at the moment correct? However Amazon are planning an update for this?

Could somebody do me a favor and try plugging in a standard 2.5" hard drive,
I know it cant be used but does the Fire provide enough power for it to be usable? i.e any light indicators flashing on the HDD?

Thanks
no difference still frame drops ... the nightly is the best with both mediacodec and libstagefright off

for me anyways
(2014-04-05, 20:50)MediaPi Wrote: goodbye Ouya. you was a good stepping stone.

Once Gotham's working, the next thing will be getting XBMC to display on the FireTV home screen. Once we have that, I'm selling my OUYA.
BTW - I did try sideloading a new launcher on the FireTV (TVLauncher, which I use on my OUYA), but it seems like the Home button will always launch the FireTV home screen.

(2014-04-05, 20:55)~Craig~ Wrote: So I have seen a few mentions regarding the USB port,
It is "live" for a keyboard, mouse etc but not USB thumb drives / hard drives at the moment correct? However Amazon are planning an update for this?

I know it cant be used but does the Fire provide enough power for it to be usable? i.e any light indicators flashing on the HDD?

Thanks

I believe this was already done prior in this thread.
(2014-04-05, 20:56)radiohead6969 Wrote: no difference still frame drops ... the nightly is the best with both mediacodec and libstagefright off

for me anyways

can you provide me the name of the file thats not working?
(2014-04-05, 20:56)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-04-05, 20:50)MediaPi Wrote: goodbye Ouya. you was a good stepping stone.

Once Gotham's working, the next thing will be getting XBMC to display on the FireTV home screen. Once we have that, I'm selling my OUYA.
BTW - I did try sideloading a new launcher on the FireTV (TVLauncher, which I use on my OUYA), but it seems like the Home button will always launch the FireTV home screen.

(2014-04-05, 20:55)~Craig~ Wrote: So I have seen a few mentions regarding the USB port,

Thanks

Why did you buy an ouya to begin with? They suck. Had nothing but issues with all I've seen. Wifi is horrible.
Hehe, looks like some contender(s) coming: http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/5/5584604...android-tv
(2014-04-05, 20:56)elmerohueso Wrote:

Thanks

Correct it has been asked but not really answered, The only answer I have see was from thess who said it "doesn't recognize storage"
That is helpful but I am wondering if the port actually has enough power for a standard USB 2.5" hard drive, I understand at this stage it is not accessible.
Hey all... I've been following this thread and have been playing with the Fire and different versions.

12.3.3 is definitely the smoothest, but it's still dropping frames like crazy.
The lower bit rates seemed to work well but 1080p The Hobbit destroyed it.

This is via 802.11n, I'm running a cable now.

I'm open to being a guinea pig.
(2014-04-05, 21:02)ilovemymac Wrote: Why did you buy an ouya to begin with? They suck. Had nothing but issues with all I've seen. Wifi is horrible.
Wifi is horrible, but I'm using a and old router as a wifi bridge. Originally bought the OUYA for XBMC, to replace my ATV2 (which I've now sold). I never ran the official OUYA XBMC release, but always test Frodo builds with libstagefright or Gotham builds. It's been awesome for XBMC, and plays all my 1080p content fine.
Honestly, the main reason for me getting the FireTV was to have a nicer Netflix interface (the official Netflix Android app isn't the best for using a remote).

(2014-04-05, 21:07)forestrat Wrote: Hey all... I've been following this thread and have been playing with the Fire and different versions.

Try previously mentioned XBMC for OUYA 12.3.2. I linked to it earlier in the thread. That seems to yield the smoothest HD playback for now. That didn't drop any frames in my 1080p x264/DTS MKV test.
seems like Amazon Fire Tv will be what Ouya promised BUT better. In 2 days you got smooth playback of 1080p. You should get a fund together to get a Fire Tv to Koying. Since it seems like this will be THE android box to go to for price/performance.

Imahine how fast development will be on this if Koying had a box to mess around with!!!

Everyone that wants an amazing experience on their Fire TV. Donate $1 to Koying.
Koying what is your donation account?
(2014-04-05, 21:13)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-04-05, 21:02)ilovemymac Wrote: Why did you buy an ouya to begin with? They suck. Had nothing but issues with all I've seen. Wifi is horrible.
Wifi is horrible, but I'm using a and old router as a wifi bridge. Originally bought the OUYA for XBMC, to replace my ATV2 (which I've now sold). I never ran the official OUYA XBMC release, but always test Frodo builds with libstagefright or Gotham builds. It's been awesome for XBMC, and plays all my 1080p content fine.
Honestly, the main reason for me getting the FireTV was to have a nicer Netflix interface (the official Netflix Android app isn't the best for using a remote).

(2014-04-05, 21:07)forestrat Wrote: Hey all... I've been following this thread and have been playing with the Fire and different versions.

Try previously mentioned XBMC for OUYA 12.3.2. I linked to it earlier in the thread. That seems to yield the smoothest HD playback for now. That didn't drop any frames in my 1080p x264/DTS MKV test.

I still use my atv2 works great and then I got a minix x7 mini as well both great but no Netflix HD on the minix.
(2014-04-05, 21:04)Koying Wrote: Hehe, looks like some contender(s) coming: http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/5/5584604...android-tv

I had to buy one box and the FireTv looked like the Holy Grail, but now with a lot of options and newcomers like that Google Tv, Xunity Tv Eclipse, neo X7, etc. I´m back at the Crossroads.

BTW: Awesome work here, i´m following this threads closely since the first day.
(2014-04-05, 20:56)radiohead6969 Wrote: no difference still frame drops ... the nightly is the best with both mediacodec and libstagefright off

for me anyways

You do realize that this whole thread and the WHOLE issue every person here is trying to work on is to make XBMC work with libstagefright on right?

Otherwise, you're using the CPU to heavily decode and you'll get stutters with high bit rate content.
Google

Android
Android Wear
Android Tv

They will own this space! just like they pawned Apple ios. I'm more excited about this than Fire Tv now. Its like comparing Kindle Fire tablet with lockedown andorid to nexus 7 android
(2014-04-05, 21:19)MediaPi Wrote: seems like Amazon Fire Tv will be what Ouya promised BUT better. In 2 days you got smooth playback of 1080p. You should get a fund together to get a Fire Tv to Koying. Since it seems like this will be THE android box to go to for price/performance.

Imahine how fast development will be on this if Koying had a box to mess around with!!!

Everyone that wants an amazing experience on their Fire TV. Donate $1 to Koying.
Koying what is your donation account?

Did he ever respond to this?

I'd consider a donation
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10