• 35(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-06, 03:36)rj2763 Wrote: C:\Users\Robert>adb install Xbmc.apk
can't find 'Xbmc.apk' to install

I have Xbmc in the platform tool in the sdk folder on my c drive any help would be great I have been reading for hours and figure its something small Tongue

The APK doesn't necessarily need to be in the platform tools folder, but it needs to be in your working directory.
As per your comment, the Command Prompt is currently working in your C:\Users\Robert folder. So, it's looking for C:\Users\Robert\Xbmc.apk.
(2014-04-06, 03:47)rj2763 Wrote: I tried the whole path

adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb connect 192.168.1.16
C:\android sdk\sdk\platform-tools

C:\Users\Robert>adb kill-server
C:\Users\Robert>adb start-server
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

C:\Users\Robert>adb connect 192.168.1.16
connected to 192.168.1.16:5555

C:\Users\Robert>C:\android sdk\sdk\platform-tools
'C:\android' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

this is the variables path

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\;C:\android sdk\sdk\platform-tools

You can't have spaces most likely.

CD to the directory then run the install command.
(2014-04-06, 03:41)Topken Wrote: Is the apk in the same folder as adb.exe and are you typing the correct name and I do believe it is CaSe SeNsEtIvE

I just right clicked the path where it is at so I would think its the exact path
(2014-04-06, 03:47)rj2763 Wrote: this is the variables path

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\;C:\android sdk\sdk\platform-tools

It was original suggested to put the APK in the platform tools directory under the assumption that the platform tools folder isn't is your PATH variable, so that you'd actually be using the platform tools folder as your working directory.
rj:

just copy the xbmc.apk into the same folder as adb.exe - which in this case it looks like C:\Users\Robert

if you can type "adb connect 192.168.1.16" and it connects, as long as xbmc.apk is in the same folder, all you have to type is "adb install xbmc.apk"

case sensitive, apparently.
@Everyone
Stop

@rj
Just put Xbmc.apk in C:\Users\Robert, then run
Code:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb connect 192.168.1.16
adb install Xbmc.apk
just like you were doing before.
Since platform tools is in your PATH variable, you can run ADB from anywhere, so ignore the other chatter about using the same folder, etc.
If you are in Win 7 / 8, which I assume you are given the file paths. Put the .apk file in the same folder at the program-tools folder using file explorer. After that hold Ctrl+Shift and right click in the folder You will be given an option to "Open Command Prompt Window Here".
Quick "thess's Logitech harmony remote control obsession" update--thanks to an earlier poster I realized the Fire can be controlled via CEC, so once the CEC device link is up over HDMI, the tv itself can send commands to the box. That said, I can emulate everything BUT the "return" (back out) button on the Amazon remote, which is really crucial for xbmc. This is via a newer model Samsung smartv. I at least have a Stop button working now. Going to look into a key map addon that was mentioned earlier.
(2014-04-06, 03:57)elmerohueso Wrote: @Everyone
Stop

@rj
Just put Xbmc.apk in C:\Users\Robert, then run
Code:
adb install Xbmc.apk
just like you were doing before.
Since platform tools is in your PATH variable, you can run ADB from anywhere, so ignore the other chatter about using the same folder, etc.

Kind of rude since every single person who posted to help him actually told him a viable way to fix his problem.
But yes, this is one solution that will work and is the simplest one for a nontech savvy user.
(2014-04-06, 04:02)tential Wrote: Kind of rude since every single person who posted to help him actually told him a viable way to fix his problem.
But yes, this is one solution that will work and is the simplest one for a nontech savvy user.

I know everyone was trying to help, but, unfortunately, most suggestions were misguided in this specific case. Everyone seemed to just be shooting from the hip, with suggestions on moving his APK to the platform tools folder, not using spaces, etc. It was just so confusing. I'm sorry for seeming rude, but the correct answers (like yours) were getting buried and missed.
Agreed with tential, try using your nice voice next time. We are all here for the same goal. I've used adb many times and the easiest way (for me) is to open up cmd as administrator, CD to the directory of adb, then run the install commands as others have already listed. And XBMC or whatever apk should be in the same directory as adb.
Yeah, the "not using spaces" wasn't the problem, it looked like it was just lack of command line experience. No need to pile on the person who was trying to cut through the chaff and provide the simplest fix.

Harmony update: keymap addon worked. Found one button on my samsung remote that was sending something I didn't care about (skip to next file), the hyphen button. Go figure, CEC is so arbitrary. Anyway, remapped, I now have what I consider to be the lowest acceptable level of functionality in a single-remote solution. Still missing stuff like the context menu.

Which means: with the Ouya build that fixes the video problems, I have an acceptably functional replacement for my jail broken ATV2 xbmc box, which was developing weird problems lately. (And the Fire outperforms the ATV2 on larger/higher quality files). However, I don't think surround sound is really working, but I'll wait for other people with better understanding to chime in. (All I know is, with dts enabled, my receiver sends stereo to all channels. On a test file with Dolby digital enabled, there is either no audio, or Dolby surround seems to work for a bit (per receiver) and then drops out.)

A lot of my files also seem to have audio sync issues, but that can at least be tweaked in the UI.
(2014-04-06, 04:37)thess Wrote: Harmony update: keymap addon worked. Found one button on my samsung remote that was sending something I didn't care about (skip to next file), the hyphen button. Go figure, CEC is so arbitrary. Anyway, remapped, I now have what I consider to be the lowest acceptable level of functionality in a single-remote solution. Still missing stuff like the context menu.

Which means: with the Ouya build that fixes the video problems, I have an acceptably functional replacement for my jail broken ATV2 xbmc box, which was developing weird problems lately. (And the Fire outperforms the ATV2 on larger/higher quality files). However, I don't think surround sound is really working, but I'll wait for other people with better understanding to chime in. (All I know is, with dts enabled, my receiver sends stereo to all channels. On a test file with Dolby digital enabled, there is either no audio, or Dolby surround seems to work for a bit (per receiver) and then drops out.)

A lot of my files also seem to have audio sync issues, but that can at least be tweaked in the UI.

Glad you have something working acceptably, until Gotham's Fire TV issues are fixed.
I've got my Fire TV currently hooked up in the bedroom (no surround sound), but I'll try to find some time to move it to the main room and mess around with it.
anyone worked on a keymap file for the firetv remote? no stop button / cant do more info / home button on it takes you out to fire os / etc
(2014-04-06, 04:57)thezoggy Wrote: anyone worked on a keymap file for the firetv remote? no stop button / cant do more info / home button on it takes you out to fire os / etc

The Keymap Editor addon in the official repo might be the easiest way to set one up, then we could share out the resulting file.
The only change I've made so far is mapping the Menu button to More Info.
Do you have any suggestions on what to map?
  • 35(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10