• 39(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
If you have installed this would you please see if the following works. Can you play music from your lan and does it play gapless playback? Alac or Flac if you have it.
(2014-04-06, 14:38)ktrdsl23 Wrote:
(2014-04-06, 14:32)nero12 Wrote: @ktrdsl23 that would be great, also if you could link to the most stable version of xbmc for both Gotham and frodo. I can imagine this thread will past the 100 pages within a week or two.

Yup, already have done that although I don't know if there is a truly stable Gotham release yet. I cleaned up the first post a bit. Let me know if people want other info on it.

(2014-04-06, 14:40)Koying Wrote: Please update the wiki, instead: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV
Would be even better to just have the wiki link in post #1, to avoid duplication.

Thanks for keeping this organized with this new box.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=167513

Crash from new build as soon as I try to play. The background menu fades as if it's going to load and then it drops back to the fire launcher.

Software multi-threaded still works fine.

Btw I noticed you said leave mediacodec on, but was I supposed to turn off libstagefright?
(2014-04-06, 14:32)nero12 Wrote: @ktrdsl23 that would be great, also if you could link to the most stable version of xbmc for both Gotham and frodo. I can imagine this thread will past the 100 pages within a week or two.

They're in the wiki
(2014-04-06, 14:14)Koying Wrote: Another Gotham test build, to be tested with mediacodec ON: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/andr...bi-v7a.apk
Please report the result (and provide logs, obviously).
Instant app crash on playback. http://pastebin.com/Hzqhygwv
(2014-04-06, 11:15)samukas Wrote: I've read about people replacing the FireTV remote with another one, I wonder though... Do USB remotes/keyboards work only once inside XBMC or do they work as well for the FireTV interface? 'Cause it would be a pain having the use the oficial remote to get to XBMC and then switch.

on the video i showed a mele pro f10, which also works outside of xbmc. having that keyboard on the back makes everything easier.

(2014-04-06, 11:51)kim1406 Wrote:
(2014-04-06, 10:58)charliebrown Wrote: so, in comparison (and i know that the xbmc isnt nearly done to be optimized for the fire tv) how much faster than the ouya can one expect this to be?
I want to know this too, as I was just a minute a way to order an Ouya, then sow the Fire.
What I like about Ouya is the capability of handling heavy skins like Aeon with good menu navigation speed, I hope Fire can do this.

if you want skins i suggest spmc, i was having some issues with xbmc for ouya on certain skins.
(2014-04-06, 12:52)dismantler Wrote: A word about speed on this box:

It blows away any android device I've ever used. My Samsung Galaxy SII, 1rst gen Nexus 7, Gbox Midnight 2.2, do not hold a candle to this thing.

Just for an example, my single core GBOX could handle 1080p decoding (In linux, only recently in Android) at 24 fps with audio passthrough. I cannot tell you how many ROMs I've tried on that GBOX, nor how many different builds of XBMC. I've been trying to get a good Android experience out of that box for a year now, and even learned how to re-package ROMS and edit source code in APKs to get the experience I really wanted. I would say I only made it 80% of the way. I still couldn't get Netflix to work on the same build that would play 1080Pp mkvs in XBMC. No 1080p kernel either, which I would have been fine with so long as I could still play 1080p files and have Netflix. Never quite got there, although it's closer now than it ever had been. In fact, I'd say for the $50 that I paid for it, it served me well and has been my only source of entertainment for a year.

A common process for me was to install a new ROM on the GBOX, then XBMC, then wait for it to settle down before I even tried playing HD. Basically when I opened XBMC for 1rst run I'd go smoke a cigarette or do some laundry. Then come back and check to see if the CPU usage had settled down. When it got below 10% I knew it was ready to start viewing content. I still feel it's a decently fast machine for what it is, and I dare say that it's color output and clarity are almost better than fire tvs.

That being said. The Fire TV is as far from a slouch as I think you could get. While it was playing a 1080p movie with Dolby D off of Netflix I adb'd into just to see what would happen. I installed XBMC and BeyondXBMC while it was doing that, and I never even saw it miss a frame. Installing apps on the GBOX grinds it to a halt. The 1rst time setup honest to god made me drop my jaw. The load bar FLEW accross the screen in comparison. And when it loaded, the add-ons updated as fast as they would on my I5 OC'd to 4.5 Ghz. It was ready to roll in probably less than 1/10th of the time. Obviously the build needs some help to make it flawless, but do not for 1 second think this box doesn't have the balls for XBMC. The system information in XBMC was glorious after dealing with a chines box for a year: Full 1080 at 60 fps in confluence. That's what I'm talking about right there.

to add on what dismantler already posted, The only box that performs better then the amazon fire tv is the madcatz Mojo. Not enough to justify paying twice the price, then again the madcatz comes with a game controller ($40 for an amazon fire tv controller) so the different is really $60. My movie collection is 800+ and the mad catz displays it in 2 secs while the amazon fire tv takes 4-5secs (same as ouya). Also is anyone worried that amazon might eventually block and/or change certain codecs/settings that might hinder xbmc? for example currently only older builds of frodo are working. what if after the next update the ouya version and spmc stop working making this into a cat and mouse game.

Ouya and Madcatz dont sell their own video content so i never feared they would attempt to block access to xbmc. Amazon and Google on the other hand do have their own video stores, but out of the two i see google being less restrictive.
i know this is an xbmc forum but for those interested, looks like we have root!!

thanks jcase from xda
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost...tcount=105
Of course gbox grinds to a hault. It's a single core box copy of a pivos. Even the mx2 is a dual core still slow and problematic.

Looking to try a madcatz but didn't know it ran xbmc
(2014-04-06, 16:02)dismantler Wrote: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=167513

Crash from new build as soon as I try to play. The background menu fades as if it's going to load and then it drops back to the fire launcher.

Software multi-threaded still works fine.

Btw I noticed you said leave mediacodec on, but was I supposed to turn off libstagefright?
Right, thanks.
Updated build: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/andr...bi-v7a.apk

If mediacodec is ON, it's picked up whatever the value of libstagefright...
(2014-04-06, 14:22)ktrdsl23 Wrote: I'd like to update the first post with a link to some instructions to help people get their remote controls in order. I'll put a link to the wiki for remapping the included remote but I've also heard people are using the Flirc or are using CEC to gain functionality. Does anybody have a link to instructions on how to do either of these or if not could somebody write up some simple instructions that noobs could follow that I could link to?

Thanks.

Unfortunately CEC will vary from TV to TV. The basic idea is:

1) Verify your TV model actually has CEC (for Samsungs it may be called Anynet)

2) Find out where you activate CEC in your TV (for my Samsung it's under Tools)

3) Is your device listed? My PS4 and now the Fire show up in that menu. I select the Fire and I get some sub-menu to select things like "Amazon Fire Tools". It doesn't really matter which one I select for my TV, either way my TV's remote is now sending controls to the Fire. (Or more precisely: my TV is now controlling the Fire via the HDMI connection.)

If your device is not listed, you may want to try a different HDMI cable. Google for more info.

4) Press every single button on your TV's remote and write down if they do anything on the target device. Expect some of them to make no sense whatsoever. (On my Samsung, the hyphen/dash button = Return on the Fire. This is why you have to try every single button, even if some obvious ones like Play work as expected.)

5) If you're a universal remote user, you can now spoof your TV's remote signals onto your universal remote. Between this and the xbmc keymap addon, things are tolerably functional, if limited. I had to add some steps in my Fire activity to navigate my TV's Tools menu and engage the CEC. (Silly looking but works).

As Koying said, it would be great if Amazon and Logitech worked something out for us Harmony users, but I think even then the flirc sounds like a superior option.
(2014-04-06, 17:15)DiegoMejia Wrote: i know this is an xbmc forum but for those interested, looks like we have root!!

thanks jcase from xda
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost...tcount=105

Now it's getting interesting...Big Grin

(2014-04-06, 05:30)Netix Wrote:
(2014-04-05, 20:34)HenryFord33 Wrote:
(2014-04-05, 19:25)Netix Wrote: Anyone could give me the package dimensions & weights so I could estimate the shipping cost to Canada with reship.com ?

What price did you come up with from reship.com to ship to PQ?

To Montreal.

US Postal Service

USPS First Class International
(Estimated upto 90 Days) $15.91

USPS Priority International
(Estimated 7 - 10 Business Days) $36.03

DHL

DHL Express Worldwide
(Estimated 2 - 5 Business Days) $31.80

UPS

UPS Standard
(Estimated 7 - 10 Business Days) $26.70

Fedex

FedEx International Economy
(Estimated 5 - 7 Business Days) $46.18

FedEx International Priority
(Estimated 2 - 5 Business Days) $52.82

The only thing is I've read bad review about reship.com so I'm not sure i'm gonna go through with it.

If anyone in the US would like to make some $$ with me, I will gladly pay someone on this forum before a shady company

I've already set up an account and expect the fire tv to be with them tomorrow, I didn't find any bad reviews other than a few complaints at the shipping costs

I'll opt for the ups standard and hope all goes ok if it does ill use them again, I'll report back any way because I can see many people in Europe wanting one whilst content issues will no doubt make a European launch a long way off.
Just want to confirm that CEC works great on the Sharp Aquos with Aquos Link
has anyone tested out vc-1 or mpeg-2 files on this? heres a sample https://www.dropbox.com/s/ji0d8q4h322pd8...29-001.mkv
  • 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10