• 43(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-06, 21:02)jdtimmons Wrote: I can confirm that the flirc works well on the firetv .. I am using the harmony one with a vizio costar profile. .. I'm going to test out a few more profiles but this one is very usable so far for both xbmc and the amazon side of it. .. The only issue I have is that the back button takes you to xbmc home screen, so you have to navigate through your collection using arrow keys and the ".." to go up in the directory structure. I believe this is an issue with costar profile though. ..

When it comes to the Harmony/XBMC combo, at least there's always many different ways to get at the problem. You could either use the keycap add-on within XBMC to assign one of your buttons to the 'parent directory' navigational command...or maybe try a different device. I would probably (once I got a flirc) add an MCE Keyboard device profile to my FireTV activity, and use that to send keystroke commands to XBMC.
Hi all

I currently have an Ouya for XBMC which i love but i get juddery sport etc as i am in uk and its locked to 60hz, Will the amazon fire be locked to 60hz as well or will i be able to select 50hz?
(2014-04-06, 20:56)dogatemyrouter Wrote:
(2014-04-06, 20:51)calev Wrote:
(2014-04-06, 20:30)jocala Wrote: Confirmed here. Mine is 1.0a.

mce receivers never worked in android as far as I know. Flirc does though.

dont know what to tell you but this IR receiver works fine for me on my Fire TV: http://www.amazon.com/Ortek-Windows-Infr...B00224ZDFY

That remote just emulates a keyboard. Its not a genuine mce rc6 remote. So it would work since android just sees it as a keyboard.
(2014-04-06, 22:12)chrisnewton Wrote: Hi all

I currently have an Ouya for XBMC which i love but i get juddery sport etc as i am in uk and its locked to 60hz, Will the amazon fire be locked to 60hz as well or will i be able to select 50hz?

Looks like it's Euro friendly already.
(2014-04-06, 19:28)davilla Wrote:
(2014-04-06, 19:25)jjd-uk Wrote: Baytrail NUC is about $140 so hardly double the price.

In a nice case, with power supply and an IR remote ? Apple to Apples when comparing please.

I take it you haven't seen the new Celeron NUC :)

No included remote, but with built in IR receiver, nice case, and power supply. You only have to add RAM, USB boot stick, and a cheap remote these days. Intel just released a nice stable x86 build of Android for it, too.
(2014-04-06, 23:15)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-04-06, 19:28)davilla Wrote:
(2014-04-06, 19:25)jjd-uk Wrote: Baytrail NUC is about $140 so hardly double the price.

In a nice case, with power supply and an IR remote ? Apple to Apples when comparing please.

I take it you haven't seen the new Celeron NUC Smile

No included remote, but with built in IR receiver, nice case, and power supply. You only have to add RAM, USB boot stick, and a cheap remote these days. Intel just released a nice stable x86 build of Android for it, too.

Is it fanless though? I have an i3 nuc (3rd gen) and the thing is so loud I can't stand it. I bought fire tv to replace it as my xbmc box since it is silent
I just read a review on Amazon that said Gotham Beta 4 is working fine on the Fire TV now?? I haven't seen anything about that on this thread, did I miss it?

Never mind, he clarifies later he is using SPMC
What is spmc ?
http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?8220-SPMC-Koying
(2014-04-06, 23:32)brundon Wrote:
(2014-04-06, 23:15)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-04-06, 19:28)davilla Wrote: In a nice case, with power supply and an IR remote ? Apple to Apples when comparing please.

I take it you haven't seen the new Celeron NUC Smile

Is it fanless though? I have an i3 nuc (3rd gen) and the thing is so loud I can't stand it. I bought fire tv to replace it as my xbmc box since it is silent

It has a fan, but most people say they can't even hear it. They also sell fanless heat-sink cases for that NUC, so it can be 100% no moving parts.
(2014-04-06, 22:11)thess Wrote:
(2014-04-06, 21:02)jdtimmons Wrote: I can confirm that the flirc works well on the firetv .. I am using the harmony one with a vizio costar profile. .. I'm going to test out a few more profiles but this one is very usable so far for both xbmc and the amazon side of it. .. The only issue I have is that the back button takes you to xbmc home screen, so you have to navigate through your collection using arrow keys and the ".." to go up in the directory structure. I believe this is an issue with costar profile though. ..

When it comes to the Harmony/XBMC combo, at least there's always many different ways to get at the problem. You could either use the keycap add-on within XBMC to assign one of your buttons to the 'parent directory' navigational command...or maybe try a different device. I would probably (once I got a flirc) add an MCE Keyboard device profile to my FireTV activity, and use that to send keystroke commands to XBMC.

Thanks for the info...I'll try the keycap addon next... i actually tried the mce profile and the timing was off. .. Had to click multiple times for the flirc to register the keypress... And couldn't find a working back button on it either. .. so I went back to the costar profile...
(2014-04-07, 00:22)jdtimmons Wrote:
(2014-04-06, 22:11)thess Wrote:

Thanks for the info...I'll try the keycap addon next... i actually tried the mce profile and the timing was off. .. Had to click multiple times for the flirc to register the keypress... And couldn't find a working back button on it either. .. so I went back to the costar profile...

(Sorry, should be "keymap" addon, typo earlier. But it's an XBMC program addon.)
(2014-04-07, 00:02)ozkhan1 Wrote: What is spmc ?
(2014-04-07, 00:05)Hitcher Wrote: http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?8220-SPMC-Koying
Keep in mind that the latest version of SPMC also has video stuttering issues. You must use the 12.3.3 linked on the wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV

I'm using that version and it works perfectly on the Fire TV. Will keep testing the Gotham builds to help out, though.
So what are the limitations of this device?

Does it output native 23.976 over HDMI?
Does it pass-through HD audio over HDMI? DTS HD? True HD?
What is the maximum bitrate it can decode? Can it do full BD remuxes at ~50 Mbps?
What codecs can it decode? Just H.264 or also VC1 and MPEG2?

Until those questions are answered, I'm not sure how this compares to the many other android boxes selling at similar prices.
(2014-04-07, 00:38)nordr Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 00:02)ozkhan1 Wrote: What is spmc ?
(2014-04-07, 00:05)Hitcher Wrote: http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?8220-SPMC-Koying
Keep in mind that the latest version of SPMC also has video stuttering issues. You must use the 12.3.3 linked on the wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV

I'm using that version and it works perfectly on the Fire TV. Will keep testing the Gotham builds to help out, though.
Thanks nordr..

So what are the limitations of first and xbmc?
Can it handle 24p, hd audio bit streaming, etc? If I remember correctly android xbmc doesn't do bit streaking.. But wanted to check if that has improved.

Damn wizzi.... U beat me to it.

Haha
  • 43(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10