• 45(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
Quick question for those getting green bands or not being able to play 1080p video with the Gotham release, are you able to play 720p video without any issues using the latest Gotham beta?

Apologies if it has been answered earlier.
Testing out the Ouya now and it plays 1080p and 5.1 audio

I have the fire tv connected through hdmi and when playing video with hdmi audio setting only 2.0 sound came trough once i changed it to optical/coax it played 5.1

i guess Ouya is the keeper
(2014-04-07, 09:53)Starstream Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 00:41)wizziwig Wrote: So what are the limitations of this device?

Does it output native 23.976 over HDMI?
Does it pass-through HD audio over HDMI? DTS HD? True HD?
What is the maximum bitrate it can decode? Can it do full BD remuxes at ~50 Mbps?
What codecs can it decode? Just H.264 or also VC1 and MPEG2?

Until those questions are answered, I'm not sure how this compares to the many other android boxes selling at similar prices.

1) Nope, Android has no control over display driver it cant dynamically switch from 60Hz to 24Hz though some Android boxes do have a manual 24Hz setting.
2) Wait and see if XBMC can work any magic here, the chip the FireTV uses is the Snapdragon 600 series 8064M which supported DTS-HD at one point but it's not supported by Amazon's own internal media player. DTS is not supported by the FireTV but has been proven to work with XBMC at least stereo decoding it.
3) According to the specs from Amazon average 20Mbps but other places in relation to Qualcomm SoC's mention a peak 40Mbps ?
4) H.263, H.264, VC-1, MPEG-4 ASP and VP8.

I believe Amazon mislabelled the part in it as an APQ8064 in their docs which is a tablet development platform but Qualcomm also had a TV version called the MPQ8064 which was renamed the 8064M and there is even a video demo on Youtube of the MPQ8064 sporting a cruder version of the FireTV UI from last year.

This tear down has a good enough image to see Qualcomm chip. I don't see 8064m, but it is likely a custom build with a unique model number. http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-wha...pen-2014-4
(2014-04-07, 15:51)joseruinyc Wrote: I have the fire tv connected through hdmi and when playing video with hdmi audio setting only 2.0 sound came trough once i changed it to optical/coax it played 5.1

Just to confirm, 5.1 sound works over optical in XBMC? Which audio codec? DD/DTS?
(2014-04-07, 15:51)joseruinyc Wrote: Testing out the Ouya now and it plays 1080p and 5.1 audio

I have the fire tv connected through hdmi and when playing video with hdmi audio setting only 2.0 sound came trough once i changed it to optical/coax it played 5.1

i guess Ouya is the keeper

what version of xbmc are you using? spmc or XBMC for ouya?
Ouya sucks get a real box

Worst wifi of any android box. No sdcard slot

(2014-04-07, 15:08)DiegoMejia Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 14:11)ktrdsl23 Wrote: I should be getting my Fire TV later today. I currently run XBMC on my OUYA in my bedroom (audio straight through the TV) and was wondering if anybody could comment of the performance of the Fire TV on SPMC 12.3.3 or OUYA 12.3.4 as compared to XBMC running on the OUYA.

Thanks.

As far as navigating within xbmc the fire TV is snappy. Movie list loads quick (I have a 800+) collection. When scanning for content it also performs quicker but playback of media is pretty much the same.

Ouya version I've noticed is best for plugins, pass through audio options.
Spmc is better for skins.

Both version play 720p, 1080i, 1080p and neither play bluray remux files.

That's likely the hardware limitation of the ouya. It has an older Tegra 3 chip and only 1gb ram. Try a minix x7 or x7 mini. 2gb ram quad core rockchip 3188 and overclock it and it rocks pretty good. Still want to try this amazon fire TV for the Netflix HD and amazon play
Someone know if the android version of NHL Gamecenter Live work on the FireTV ?
(2014-04-07, 15:17)joseruinyc Wrote: I have been playing around with the fire tv for two days and so far I'm super happy with it. I'm running SPMC 12.3.2 and it runs pretty well super responsive. the only issue i have is the audio is only lpcm 2.0

no lag on video at 1080p
I also have atv2 and the fire tv is a lot faster in the past two days that i have used it it has never crashed were with the apple tv sometimes it freezes and has to be unplugged

have tested gothem but video lags and you have to fast forward and rewind in order for it to even play

its upper easy to sideload xbmc onto to it the app in under settings/apps a little anting to have to go to but hopefully owe will be able to put it in the home screen

Hope this helps

Thanks. Sounds like the Fire TV running SPMC 12.3.2 is the best setup as a box connected directly to a TV. I use a high end HTPC in my family room but I need a box for my bedroom. 2.0 audio is all I need so I want a box that is responsive and plays video without lagging. I think the Fire TV is going to be that box.
Anyone care to share how long boot time is? Is there anything wrong with never turning it off?

Looking to replace AirVideo HD on my Apple TV 3 as a streamer. Wish I hadn't sold the ATV 2. Confused
(2014-04-07, 16:40)Netix Wrote: Someone know if the android version of NHL Gamecenter Live work on the FireTV ?

It does work, but is not practical. When I tested it the menus were skewed and it was displaying them sideways (as if i was holding a phone vertically).

The NHL gamecenter add on does work, however you must be on a Gotham build.

(2014-04-07, 16:59)Dealwagon Wrote: Anyone care to share how long boot time is? Is there anything wrong with never turning it off?

Looking to replace AirVideo HD on my Apple TV 3 as a streamer. Wish I hadn't sold the ATV 2. Confused

As far as I can tell, it's always on. It goes to a screen saver / slideshow after x minutes, then it shuts off the display after another set amount of time.
Airplay... (within XBMC)

Anyone tried this? Reports please? Im on the fence about to order.

Very specifically, looking to share photos / youtube videos from iphone to TV.
(2014-04-07, 16:59)Dealwagon Wrote: Anyone care to share how long boot time is? Is there anything wrong with never turning it off?

initial boot time is fast, once on you never turn it off. if you leave it on xbmc it wont tigger screensaver or sleep mode. if you go to the main screen a screensaver will kick in and display colorful pictures (like the chromecast) and eventually if my eyes arent mistaken go into sleep.

(2014-04-07, 17:17)Dealwagon Wrote: Airplay... (within XBMC)

if all you want is audio than yes airplay on xbmc works. if your device is IOS7 then it break airplay video. If im not mistaken its an xbmc issue (not fire tv, ouya, etc...) that was caused after IOS 7 update

I tested it with a few youtube videos the day I received my Fire TV and they did work for me. Some people were only getting audio and I have noticed this behavior with my HTPC as well, sometimes it will work other times not so much. Since XBMC devs have to reverse engineer airplay everytime apple changes it, I'd expect it behave better once an official version of Gotham comes out.
(2014-04-02, 18:59)skrowl Wrote: Came here just to see if there would be any support for this device (I'm looking to upgrade from my aging Ouya)

Really? So Ouya is seen as "aging" already? Flash in the pan?

AirPlay is not working with the current XBMC releases but you can stream youtube directly from the iOS youtube app to FireTV.

• 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10