• 48(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
Are we talking about the same ATV2 that can't playback in 1080p? Seems like a fairly significant limitation for a dedicated media streamer.
(2014-04-07, 21:56)ozkhan1 Wrote: You should read your original post again and understand that it can be misinterpreted as in you using the term "mini" can be misconstrued as you referring to the mac mini which I now realize you were not. You were talking about IPAD Mini.

I was referring to the mac mini, of course.

Nonetheless we are deviating from the subject here, so I will say no more.

No issue with that at all. Just don't want an applefanboy who has his username saying "Ilovemymac" then tell people misinformation about products. We don't need fanboyism here like what happens on a lot of tech forums.
FireTV is what we should talk about, but just gotta protect people from hardware fanboys who ALWAYS push their favorite company.
After reading some 48 pages and not seeing the answer (or missing it because i'm jetlagged as all get out), i'd like to chime in with a quick question, since i'm a newbie on the android side (but an old hand at XBMC itself):

I'm working with a build that's a couple versions old on my fire and it's working great (at least with 720p/stereo sources - haven't tried anything more beefy than that yet), but if i want to upgrade, will my settings be preserved if i push a new APK to my device, or will they be reset? I'd like to keep up with new builds as they come out, but i don't want to have to redo all my customizations every time.
ok maybe dumb question, how do I bring up the contextual menu using the amazon remote?

Duh, nevermind i got it
(2014-04-07, 22:28)MrMichaelJames Wrote: ok maybe dumb question, how do I bring up the contextual menu using the amazon remote?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ama...oth_remote
(2014-04-07, 21:59)tential Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 21:56)ozkhan1 Wrote: You should read your original post again and understand that it can be misinterpreted as in you using the term "mini" can be misconstrued as you referring to the mac mini which I now realize you were not. You were talking about IPAD Mini.

No issue with that at all. Just don't want an applefanboy who has his username saying "Ilovemymac" then tell people misinformation about products. We don't need fanboyism here like what happens on a lot of tech forums.
FireTV is what we should talk about, but just gotta protect people from hardware fanboys who ALWAYS push their favorite company.

thank you for laying out the other post. I been wanting to leave reply to "ilovemymac", who apparently has nothing but negativity about this product through almost all of his posts.
Mini I'm taking about is the x7 mini from minix. And excuse me all the reviews that I read people have said the ouya is an old processor and I'm sorry the x7 mini far outweighs the ouya.
I'm saying the ouya is crappy build and I know I sell them and I have had many with wifi issues, Ethernet port not working and a number of other issues

(2014-04-07, 22:46)yocoldrain Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 21:59)tential Wrote:

thank you for laying out the other post. I been wanting to leave reply to "ilovemymac", who apparently has nothing but negativity about this product through almost all of his posts.

I have not said neg about the fire TV. I'm saying you can't compare apple to android. In saying sure the atv2 only does 720p but I'm taking speed. Ever tried to install Xbmc on a pivos or gbox midnight? Hope you don't want to anything for awhile it runs horribly slow. You need min of a dual core in a android to run and 1gb ram.

I have and sell android boxes from my store. I don't like the ouya. I do like the x7 and x7 mini and the cx919 looking at the tronsmart vega and I have a fire TV.
No I don't like android because someone needs to build like Apple did take a mobile OS strip it down and make a box os out of it. Any honest person can say that. Do I like Apple? Yea I do they make excellent products. I wish they would open up the products more. But I love my iphone and iPad. But for a set top box I'm very interested in the tronsmart and the fire TV.

Quit putting words in my mouth
(2014-04-07, 22:17)Ryoga79 Wrote: After reading some 48 pages and not seeing the answer (or missing it because i'm jetlagged as all get out), i'd like to chime in with a quick question, since i'm a newbie on the android side (but an old hand at XBMC itself):

I'm working with a build that's a couple versions old on my fire and it's working great (at least with 720p/stereo sources - haven't tried anything more beefy than that yet), but if i want to upgrade, will my settings be preserved if i push a new APK to my device, or will they be reset? I'd like to keep up with new builds as they come out, but i don't want to have to redo all my customizations every time.

depends on the version of xbmc you are currently running and the one you update to.

For example:
XBMC for Ouya: Data file gets created as tv.ouya.xbmc
XBMC v13: Data file gets created as org.xbmc.xbmc
spmc: Data file gets created as com.semperpax.spmc (if i remember correctly)

So if you have XBMC for Ouya installed then a gotham (v13) xbmc for android fire tv gets released you will have to recreate your library because the data folder will be named different.

You can try to rename the folder to the version you are upgrading to

example if you have SPMC installed and a gotham v13 comes out for android fire tv, go to \sdcard\android\data\ and rename com.semperpax.spmc to org.xbmc.xbmc then open up xbmc v13 gotham.
(2014-04-07, 21:19)tential Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 18:58)ilovemymac Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 17:29)joseruinyc Wrote: I'm using bouth the ouya plays 5.1 when I change it to optical although it's connected via hdmi. Haven't tried changing the audio settings on spmc from hdmi to optical to get 5.1 sound will test soon. Spmc seams faster and more responsive but either on performs rather well. Like it a lot more than apple tv2 I might actualy sell my atv2 and get another fire tv

Remember the Apple TV 2 is years old now but it kicks android but spec for spec all over. If the atv3 could be JB I think Xbmc would fly on it. And if Apple announces an atv4 I would bet it would kick some butt. I mean try to run android Xbmc on any single core box it lags it's like watching paint dry. Even the ouya with 1gb ram and quad core box is not that fast.
Ouya is ok but in all honesty it's cheaply built. Come on my atv2 has dual band wifi and much better wifi throughput and speed then the ouya.

If you want to talk specific hardware please know what you're talking about. Please don't give your extremely biased "I love my mac" username opinion. Give facts.

The Iphone 4 was competitive with the Nexus One when it came out. The SAME chip that's in the Iphone 4 is also found in the Apple TV 2 (This is common practice with apple produces. The Ipad/Phone/TV will share the same chip. THis includes the mini. The only difference is the clockspeed.).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-i...-review/12

As you can see it's competitive with Android Nexus One. Today, The Apple TV2 would be a joke in hardware terms compared to what is out on the market today. No one is running around with their Iphone 4 or 4S (Which shares the same processor as the Apple TV3) and claiming it to be the fastest thing today!

If there was an AppleTV4 running the newest Apple Mobile processor (Which is a HUGE improvement and even though I hate Apple, is the best mobile processor out IMO but that's hard to prove given the different OS between Android/iOS. It is extremely competitive with BayTrail, intel's TABLET processor), then yes, it'd be something to talk about. The Apple TV 2 shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as "Good hardware" when talking about 2014 processors. It's a joke.

This is a FireTV thread, but if you want to talk Apple TV, at least get your facts straight.

The Apple TV 2 is still a great box. I have been using mine daily for years with no issues. Yea it getting older but people brag on the pivos and the gbox which are far slower then the Apple TV 2 so why you dogging on me?
This product has generated more negativity from people who have never even used it than I've ever seen. Even before people got it the Amazon reviews were flooded by people who didn't even buy or hadn't even used the device.

I've been waiting for an good Android media center for a long time. I know this box won't do everything anyone asks of it, but it's the best experience I've had in XBMC on and Android device. The OUYA version plays 1080p content with DTS/DOLBY D pass-through very well. The only thing I've seen beat it is a real full fledged comp, but those cost way more than $99.

I keep seeing this compared to a NUC and I was definitely about to give up and pull the trigger on one. The Fire tv is sooo much better for my purposes. I don't have to worry about my daughter or mother screwing it up, the remote is perfectly simple and the interface is unified. Meaning I don't have to wake up from my precious daytime sleep to explain shit over and over and over. That was the worst part about a PC as an HTPC.

Here's what this offers me, personally, over a NUC or low-end desktop:

120 hz. My tv will not allow a PC signal to display in 120 hz. It locks to 60 hz when receiving a PC signal. I feel the refresh rate adds significantly to picture quality.
Netflix + Prime with actual real remote navigation along with 1080P and Dolby. No mouse. So easy a caveman could do it.

There are no other boxes offering that, along with the ability to sideload apps. Not for the same money.
(2014-04-07, 23:04)dismantler Wrote: This product has generated more negativity from people who have never even used it than I've ever seen. Even before people got it the Amazon reviews were flooded by people who didn't even buy or hadn't even used the device.

I've been waiting for an good Android media center for a long time. I know this box won't do everything anyone asks of it, but it's the best experience I've had in XBMC on and Android device. The OUYA version plays 1080p content with DTS/DOLBY D pass-through very well. The only thing I've seen beat it is a real full fledged comp, but those cost way more than $99.

I keep seeing this compared to a NUC and I was definitely about to give up and pull the trigger on one. The Fire tv is sooo much better for my purposes. I don't have to worry about my daughter or mother screwing it up, the remote is perfectly simple and the interface is unified. Meaning I don't have to wake up from my precious daytime sleep to explain shit over and over and over. That was the worst part about a PC as an HTPC.

Here's what this offers me, personally, over a NUC or low-end desktop:

120 hz. My tv will not allow a PC signal to display in 120 hz. It locks to 60 hz when receiving a PC signal. I feel the refresh rate adds significantly to picture quality.
Netflix + Prime with actual real remote navigation along with 1080P and Dolby. No mouse. So easy a caveman could do it.

There are no other boxes offering that, along with the ability to sideload apps. Not for the same money.

I can agree. That is one of my other complaints about the ouya. You ever tried using a air mouse with it?? You can't control it it goes all over and to click on anything you still have to use the ouya controller.
I'm excited at this box. My only complaint at the moment is lack of adding Xbmc to the main screen but that will be solved soon.
(2014-04-07, 21:06)pinyot Wrote: Hey guys, has anyone tried to see if XBMC through the Fire Tv can do the DTS- passthrough yet? I saw Diego's video which is great but he didn't have an AV receiver or Home theater setup to test. I finally gave up on this on my Ouya. ..Thanks.
I have the SPMC 12.4.1 installed and DTS passes through on HDMI. This is the build with video issues, though my video really doesn't stutter very much. The working video build 12.3.x didn't provide me with surround options.
(2014-04-07, 23:42)cstark27 Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 21:06)pinyot Wrote: Hey guys, has anyone tried to see if XBMC through the Fire Tv can do the DTS- passthrough yet? I saw Diego's video which is great but he didn't have an AV receiver or Home theater setup to test. I finally gave up on this on my Ouya. ..Thanks.
I have the SPMC 12.4.1 installed and DTS passes through on HDMI. This is the build with video issues, though my video really doesn't stutter very much. The working video build 12.3.x didn't provide me with surround options.

It's good to know that it's possible at least. Someday, we'll have a build with a perfect intersection of all the good options. With DTS bitstreaming ticked off, my fingers are just crossed for Blu-Ray-quality remuxes working.
(2014-04-07, 23:50)haikuginger Wrote:

It's good to know that it's possible at least. Someday, we'll have a build with a perfect intersection of all the good options. With DTS bitstreaming ticked off, my fingers are just crossed for Blu-Ray-quality remuxes working.

same here,with my ouya less than half of my remixes play properly even h264 ones and its not a bit rate issue just weird pixilated issue,I'll upload a sample later for someone to test
(2014-04-07, 23:50)haikuginger Wrote:

That's good to hear guys. Made my decision ordering this device easily.
  • 48(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10