• 51(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-08, 08:29)rj2763 Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 08:08)ilovemymac Wrote: I dont understand using the Eclipse eviro or how to sideload this. Can someone give better instructions. Im very familiar with terminal i have used it a number of times to install XBMC on apple tvs and so on. I have used terminal for other things as well. I saw on amazons page you can use eclipse but im still not seeing what it says i should be seeing.

ADB was easier for me than eclipse

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/connect-adb.html

Then install from command line

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/app-install.html

I had issues but finally got terminal to work. It just was giving errors got it all installed
Thanks

Now how do we enable the USB port? I see people saying they had but didn't see how.
(2014-04-08, 05:48)davilla Wrote: Actually, bitrate is also meaningless. The one true king is knowing the video format, profile and level Smile
Are you sure?

An mkv wrapped h264 [email protected] video can be as low as 60Mbps (which I've known people to successfully test the Arctic M001 at) or as high as 120Mbps (which I've heard the Arctic M001 couldn't handle smoothly)

Also, the jellyfish tests are not very useful comparatively, since nearly *everything* can do h264 these days (i.e. rpi, nearly all android devices, iOS, etc)

MPEG2 and VC-1 are the gotchas for me, since at least 10% of my blu ray library is VC-1 and live-tv backends in the US are still pretty much MPEG2 exclusive until Silicondust finally releases that h264 transcoding tuner
(2014-04-08, 09:10)dismantler Wrote: I didn't really know which to pick here so I did this one: http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/redire...animal.jpg

It had a bit-rate of 8.8 Mbps and a fps of 29. The format was .m2ts

Played great and stayed at 29 fps the whole time.

I was thinking those by DTS or Dolby would be decent test files
(2014-04-08, 05:48)davilla Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 03:35)nickr Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 03:09)calev Wrote: You clearly have not done much testing because i have watched 30gb bluray remuxes on the ouya from start to finish with no stuttering. Some do stutter but others play fine.
30GB is meaningless unless you know the length of the movie. bitrate is what is relevant!

Actually, bitrate is also meaningless. The one true king is knowing the video format, profile and level Smile

Well, at high bitrates you have other problems than pure decoding popping in (network, memory bandwidth,...), so it's not quite meaningless Wink
(2014-04-08, 09:40)Dark_Slayer Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 05:48)davilla Wrote: Actually, bitrate is also meaningless. The one true king is knowing the video format, profile and level Smile
Are you sure?

An mkv wrapped h264 [email protected] video can be as low as 60Mbps (which I've known people to successfully test the Arctic M001 at) or as high as 120Mbps (which I've heard the Arctic M001 couldn't handle smoothly)

Also, the jellyfish tests are not very useful comparatively, since nearly *everything* can do h264 these days (i.e. rpi, nearly all android devices, iOS, etc)

MPEG2 and VC-1 are the gotchas for me, since at least 10% of my blu ray library is VC-1 and live-tv backends in the US are still pretty much MPEG2 exclusive until Silicondust finally releases that h264 transcoding tuner

h264 [email protected] is a standard for h264 encoding. As a standard, the max bit-rate is also specified. If you have files that exceed this max bit-rate. Guess what ? It's not [email protected] anymore but some wacky encoding by someone that 'thought' they knew better than the people that actually designed and created h264. The reason why standards exist are so software and more important hardware decoders actually work as designed Smile Step outside the standard and it will be hit or miss if the decoder can handle it. FFMpeg software decoders are very forgiving. Hardware decoders are an entirely different story.

And yes, I do know what I'm talking about. I've been working with software and hardware video decoders for years.
(2014-04-04, 01:55)elmerohueso Wrote: Just got mine hooked up. Enabled ADB, then installed SSHDroid, ES Explorer, and XBMC Gotham Beta 3.
Pushed my advancedsettings.xml to it, to tie it into my shared DB (sharing videos over SAMBA).
Disabled libstagefright acceleration and enabled only mediacodec acceleration.
I've run through a few SD XviD, DivX, and 720p and 1080p x264 w/ DTS MKVs. So far, CodecInfo is only showing any dropped or skipped frames when I skip/FF/RW, so that's good.
I haven't played with the cache/buffer settings, which would only really help skip/FF/RW at this point.

(2014-04-04, 01:47)thess Wrote: Mediacodec and libstagefright enabled = green screen and choppy playback
Mediacodec only = same thing
All my videos show the green/choppy screen at the beginning, but if you skip forward then back, it all plays fine.

sorry for the new user question - can you tell me where you got the sshdroiid apk and how you start the ssh servers so i can scp files to the fire tv?

I have found one and installed it - but i can't seem to figure out how to start it (it does not show up on the apps list) and i tried ./adb shell berserker.android.apps.sshdroid.command.START and that did not help.

Thanks,

Wrong.

Profile and level define upper limits (for bitrate, res, ref frames, etc).

Simply knowing the profile and level of a tested video does not tell you how close you are to the upper limits.

You need to know every aspect of the video spec. If you ensure that every aspect - res, bitrate, ref frames, fps - is right on the max limit for a given profile and level, THEN you can declare compliancy. So to say that bitrate is meaningless is absurd.
(2014-04-08, 08:08)ilovemymac Wrote: I dont understand using the Eclipse eviro or how to sideload this. Can someone give better instructions. Im very familiar with terminal i have used it a number of times to install XBMC on apple tvs and so on. I have used terminal for other things as well. I saw on amazons page you can use eclipse but im still not seeing what it says i should be seeing.

all i get is when i type the ./adb kill-server it says ADB no such file or server

Wiki has step-by-step for Windows. Other OSes will be similar.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ama...om_Windows

(2014-04-08, 15:45)wranglerdriver Wrote: sorry for the new user question - can you tell me where you got the sshdroiid apk and how you start the ssh servers so i can scp files to the fire tv?

I have found one and installed it - but i can't seem to figure out how to start it (it does not show up on the apps list) and i tried ./adb shell berserker.android.apps.sshdroid.command.START and that did not help.

Thanks,

SSHDroid is a paid app, so I pulled it off my phone. It showed up under Settings > Applications just fine. Inside the app, you can configure a password and tell it whether to run on boot.
(2014-04-08, 16:21)elmerohueso Wrote: [
(2014-04-08, 15:45)wranglerdriver Wrote: sorry for the new user question - can you tell me where you got the sshdroiid apk and how you start the ssh servers so i can scp files to the fire tv?

Thanks,

SSHDroid is a paid app, so I pulled it off my phone. It showed up under Settings > Applications just fine. Inside the app, you can configure a password and tell it whether to run on boot.

OK, it seemed (from googling) that there was a free version SSHDroid and a paid version SSHDroid Pro.

Thanks for your help.
(2014-04-08, 09:49)Topken Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 09:10)dismantler Wrote: I didn't really know which to pick here so I did this one: http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/redire...animal.jpg

It had a bit-rate of 8.8 Mbps and a fps of 29. The format was .m2ts

Played great and stayed at 29 fps the whole time.

I was thinking those by DTS or Dolby would be decent test files

Sorry, I should have tested the videos you posted earlier from http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/ as well.

Of the 1080P files, Only Monsters.mkv which was a "Typical recompressed 1080p" played at 24 fps.

All 3 played on my PC at 24 fps.

Neither of the remuxed played correctly with the Ouya build.
(2014-04-08, 00:10)DiegoMejia Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 23:50)haikuginger Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 23:42)cstark27 Wrote: I have the SPMC 12.4.1 installed and DTS passes through on HDMI. This is the build with video issues, though my video really doesn't stutter very much. The working video build 12.3.x didn't provide me with surround options.

It's good to know that it's possible at least. Someday, we'll have a build with a perfect intersection of all the good options. With DTS bitstreaming ticked off, my fingers are just crossed for Blu-Ray-quality remuxes working.

have you seen any android boxes play bluray remux files? I've tested it on Ouya/Mojo and the firetv and they all stutter with xbmc for ouya. spmc and gotham v13 beta 3.

My HTC One plays all my Bluray rips (except the landing scene in Saving Private Ryan, which is apparently bottlenecked by the wifi) flawlessly using Gotham beta3, over wifi. The HTC One has a 1080p screen, and specwise seems identical to the FireTV AFAICT (Krait 300, Adreno 320). So the current issues with the Fire TV are mostly likely software related.
Though, it is somewhat disappointing that the Krait300 cpu isn't capable of pure software 1080p decoding.
(2014-04-08, 16:03)voochi Wrote:

Wrong.

Profile and level define upper limits (for bitrate, res, ref frames, etc).

Simply knowing the profile and level of a tested video does not tell you how close you are to the upper limits.

You need to know every aspect of the video spec. If you ensure that every aspect - res, bitrate, ref frames, fps - is right on the max limit for a given profile and level, THEN you can declare compliancy. So to say that bitrate is meaningless is absurd.

How does this make any sense? If it's not within the limit then it's out of spec, yes? So both of you are saying the same thing. It doesn't matter how "close" it is to the max as long as it is within the spec. That's how standards work. If you are within the spec then it really won't matter what the exact bitrate is, because any bitrate that causes an issue will be out of spec.
(2014-04-07, 17:10)eracknaphobia Wrote: As far as I can tell, it's always on. It goes to a screen saver / slideshow after x minutes, then it shuts off the display after another set amount of time.

I let it sit overnight doing nothing, but it's still hot as hell in the morning, which means it's not really putting itself to sleep. as this thing is designed to be on all the time, with no hardware or software power switch, the power draw could be a problem.
Or is it just my one that's defective?
(2014-04-08, 17:28)sadboy Wrote:
(2014-04-07, 17:10)eracknaphobia Wrote: As far as I can tell, it's always on. It goes to a screen saver / slideshow after x minutes, then it shuts off the display after another set amount of time.

I let it sit overnight doing nothing, but it's still hot as hell in the morning, which means it's not really putting itself to sleep. as this thing is designed to be on all the time, with no hardware or software power switch, the power draw could be a problem.

So no one has been able to measure the power consumption yet? I'm curious how efficient this is. Couldn't find anything on Google.
(2014-04-08, 17:28)sadboy Wrote:

On amazons website it states it shuts off after 30 minutes. I just checked mine this morning, and it is not warm. So it shut off last night.
  • 51(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10