• 53(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
quick question Smile

Once we have more developers are working on the fire TV will we use a standard build like XBMC 13.0 Gotham or will the fire TV always have a different build like XBMC for OUYA 12.3.2 or SPMC 12.3.3.

I ask because I need to retire my old HTPC (family Room) and was wondering if I should pull the trigger and get the fire TV now and use SPMC 12.3.3. Till the dust settles and then move to XBMC 13.0

I have another HTPC (Basement) that has XBMC 12.3 "Frodo" and all my media on it; I was planning to use the UPnP to get media on to the fire TV. Once XBMC 13.0 is ready I plan to use it on both my HTPC and Fire TV.

Any advice?
(2014-04-08, 20:19)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 19:39)awp0 Wrote: Yeah, I noticed that earlier. I'm interested in the actual power consumption in various scenarios (streaming, idle, standby). I have a couple of Raspi's which use so little electricity that I just leave them on 24/7 even when I don't use them sometimes for a week or two. They use like 3 watts idle. I also used to have a Boxee Box which never had a proper standby and always used like 16 watts. That bugged me.

I know it's not as low as it could be, but 16 watt power consumption for 24 hours is only .384 kWh. Where I live, that's 4.6 cents per day. In comparison, that's less than leaving my bedroom lights on for 3 hours.

Yeah, I know it's not that bad price-wise. It's just an interest of mine I guess. I think the ATV3 was measured at something crazy like 1.5w in operation. I'm wondering where the Fire TV lands. Obviously it's less than 16w.
(2014-04-08, 20:58)kamla Wrote: quick question Smile

Once we have more developers are working on the fire TV will we use a standard build like XBMC 13.0 Gotham or will the fire TV always have a different build like XBMC for OUYA 12.3.2 or SPMC 12.3.3.

I ask because I need to retire my old HTPC (family Room) and was wondering if I should pull the trigger and get the fire TV now and use SPMC 12.3.3. Till the dust settles and then move to XBMC 13.0

I have another HTPC (Basement) that has XBMC 12.3 "Frodo" and all my media on it; I was planning to use the UPnP to get media on to the fire TV. Once XBMC 13.0 is ready I plan to use it on both my HTPC and Fire TV.

Any advice?

I have been using the XBMC UPnP for my testing and haven't noticed issues, though my testing really has been minimal. The HTPC was running 12.2 and 12.3. The builds that I have played with on the Fire TV were the SPMC 12.3.3 and 12.4.1.
(2014-04-08, 21:11)cstark27 Wrote: I have been using the XBMC UPnP for my testing and haven't noticed issues, though my testing really has been minimal. The HTPC was running 12.2 and 12.3. The builds that I have played with on the Fire TV were the SPMC 12.3.3 and 12.4.1.

Thax
will we get a XBMC 13.0 Gotham build for the fire TV?
i would like to have all my devices on the same build so that i can use the tablet to play video on any machine Smile

Thax
I noticed that it seems to cache slower then my minix box does. Otherwise not to bad. What would be awesome if we could enable voice search within Xbmc
Now that we have root and can load custom boot images all sorts of possibilities arise. I'm also hoping for a system wide voice search but it maybe up to amazon to implement that unfortunately.
Xbmc up with all other apps would be great and next would be opening it up to all of the App Store. Right now I can't seem to just search for any app
(2014-04-08, 21:19)kamla Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 21:11)cstark27 Wrote: I have been using the XBMC UPnP for my testing and haven't noticed issues, though my testing really has been minimal. The HTPC was running 12.2 and 12.3. The builds that I have played with on the Fire TV were the SPMC 12.3.3 and 12.4.1.

Thax
i would like to have all my devices on the same build so that i can use the tablet to play video on any machine Smile

Thax

Put it this way, if Gotham isn't going to work on it, I can't see why anyone would want it for xbmc.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Don't see why we won't. After all we didn't hav for ouya Xbmc at first.
(2014-04-08, 22:07)nickr Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 21:19)kamla Wrote:

Thax

Thax

Put it this way, if Gotham isn't going to work on it, I can't see why anyone would want it for xbmc.

So the answer is yes... Smile

HURRAY!

I will be watching this closely for the next few months before I order FTV. I have a feeling the way things are shaping up, it will be the GO TO Hardware for XBMC.

Hopefully Amazon wont do anything stupid to lock the device down for such third party apps.
With XBMC side-loaded, has anybody been able to add content in XBMC from an NFS or SMB share? I have Linux server hosting my media. I'm interested in the future possibility of CyanogenMOD or Vanilla Android on this box. I'm thinking of getting one now as I can use the Netflix, Hulu, & Prime stuff now, and if we get something other than Amazon's FireOS on it the future, then all the better. I know development on this thing is in the early stages, but I'm digging the hardware. Not too worried about the hardware decoding still being a Work-In-Progress at the moment as most of my local content 480 DVD content & I don't have anything currently that is over 720P. Just wondering if the app can currently see any network shares at all.
(2014-04-08, 22:11)ozkhan1 Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 22:07)nickr Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 21:19)kamla Wrote: Thax

Thax

So the answer is yes... Smile

HURRAY!

I will be watching this closely for the next few months before I order FTV. I have a feeling the way things are shaping up, it will be the GO TO Hardware for XBMC.

Hopefully Amazon wont do anything stupid to lock the device down for such third party apps.

hopefully the dev's can get it to work on fire tv as an app,
so that we dont have select 5 options to start xbmc on fire tv.
(2014-04-08, 22:24)hogfan Wrote: With XBMC side-loaded, has anybody been able to add content in XBMC from an NFS or SMB share? I have Linux server hosting my media. I'm interested in the future possibility of CyanogenMOD or Vanilla Android on this box. I'm thinking of getting one now as I can use the Netflix, Hulu, & Prime stuff now, and if we get something other than Amazon's FireOS on it the future, then all the better. I know development on this thing is in the early stages, but I'm digging the hardware. Not too worried about the hardware decoding still being a Work-In-Progress at the moment as most of my local content 480 DVD content & I don't have anything currently that is over 720P. Just wondering if the app can currently see any network shares at all.

Yes, I currently have my fire tv streaming media from my Qnap NAS via samba.
(2014-04-08, 21:55)garvani Wrote: Now that we have root and can load custom boot images all sorts of possibilities arise. I'm also hoping for a system wide voice search but it maybe up to amazon to implement that unfortunately.

AFAIK, we don't have root yet. The custom splash screen didn't require it.
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
(2014-04-08, 21:55)garvani Wrote: Now that we have root and can load custom boot images all sorts of possibilities arise. I'm also hoping for a system wide voice search but it maybe up to amazon to implement that unfortunately.

Did you see a publicly released root method? I know Justin Case was able to root it, but I don't think the method's been released yet.
Custom ROMs shouldn't be hard. Amazon released their source and OTA dump already (check XDA).
  • 53(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10