• 79(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-04, 18:39)ktrdsl23 Wrote: Seems this thread has taken off. If anybody can point me to important post numbers listing directions for getting XBMC setup on the Fire TV, I will update the first post of the thread to make it more informational than it currently is.

I used the minimal adb kit from xda. (rather than the full SDK download). On Windows 8.1 64Bit
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2317790
And the Amazon instructions posted here, and on the XDA thread....
And the SPMC build link from this thread...

All with great success.
Only add-on I have tested is the SageTV add-on. And it seems to work fine so far.

FYI: For old displays...
I will say this. The FireTV DOES NOT like HDMI to DVI converters. In the bedroom I have an old Panasonic Plasma display (no tuner, industrial display, not even HD it's 480P Wide - what they call Enhanced definition). In that display is a DVI blade. It'll take up to 1080P 60HZ without issue from other devices (SageTV HD200, modded original Xbox console).
The Fire TV is another issue alltogether. On boot it'll go display splash animation and launch the home screen - but it looks like ass. Going to settings, and trying turn off auto resolution and force 1080P - it flat out says the display cannot handle it. I suspect it needs some hand shaking from the display that the HDMI-DVI dongle blocks, or the display is too old. In any case despite the fact that the menu system and search work as normal - when attempting tp play video (Amazon Prime Video specifically) - it reports errors.
I've answered my own question. After reading through the logs I saw this:
14:43:24 T:1654390840 DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(libbluray.so)
14:43:24 T:1654390840 DEBUG: Loading: libbluray.so
14:43:24 T:1654390840 ERROR: Unable to load libbluray.so, reason: (null)
14:43:24 T:1654390840 DEBUG: Dll libbluray.so was not found in path
14:43:24 T:1654390840 ERROR: CBlurayDirectory::GetDirectory - failed to load dll
14:43:24 T:1537834640 ERROR: - Error getting bluray://smb....

So, I decided maybe it's an issue with the Ouya build and I loaded both Gotham and SPMC to try for more luck. Both work fine with my bluray directories! So, there is an issue using Ouya on FireTV with libbluray.

(2014-04-11, 21:07)insaneoctane Wrote: I'm fairly new to xbmc, because I have been waiting for a worthy box. I have been fairly happy with my boxee box, and need something upstairs. I am evaluating the firetv with xbmc at the moment and it looks promising. One thing I am struggling with its the scraper working on my Blu Ray rips. How do I get it to properly id the m2ts file that is buried down under bmdv/stream? I read some stuff about libbluray but I don't know if that is included already or not. I am using ouya right now...
(2014-04-12, 23:50)jocala Wrote: I was hoping it would allow me to change the time (I'm stuck on Pacific) and turn on developer debug
Don't need anything special to set Time Zone. Settings > System > Time Zone.
(2014-04-13, 00:40)davilla Wrote: Both Martijn and Koying are correct. The fix would require AE engine to assume that passthough is present for this device, even though there is no indication that such capabilities exist. In other words, what we coders call, a quirk.

Yeah, passthrough is working for sure.
The issue at hand is whether we can get lossless 5.1 / 7.1 thru HDMI.

Android has provision for it but, as I said earlier, it's pretty much hit and miss...
I can report this

FAVI Entertainment SmartStick Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse, FE02RF-BL (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090BT...UTF8&psc=1

works perfectly with the Fire and the latest Gotham build. Plug in the receiver in the USB slot and go. Media keys work, touchpad, keyboard.
(2014-04-13, 01:36)ialand Wrote: I can report this

FAVI Entertainment SmartStick Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse, FE02RF-BL (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090BT...UTF8&psc=1

works perfectly with the Fire and the latest Gotham build. Plug in the receiver in the USB slot and go. Media keys work, touchpad, keyboard.

Put it in the wiki too please Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
is anybody else having an issue with audio on anything other than dts. My firetv is passing through the dts hd ma as regular dts but any other audio format passing nothing video with mp3 audio file no audio and same with aac. also no audio on dolby truehd.

Tried a couple of different things tried disabling passthrough, and i would get audio on via pcm. re-enabled passthrough and disabled just dolby digital on my settings and its passing through as pcm. tried the same files on my just to double check that the reciever is capable of playing those audio formats through xbmc on windows 8.1 64bit and audio file displays as dolby-truehd

this issue appeared on xbmc-20140412-1d32fd0-AmazonFire-armeabi-v7a.

*edit* disregard my issue was created by firetv settings for dolby digital. *edit*
I think many of you that prefer Linux over Android (when a Linux build comes out) will find a single USB port unacceptable.

IR is a must IMO and that alone will consume the USB port.
An RF mini keyboard will also be required. (Bluetooth is finicky IMO).

In addition, any kind of external USB hub would also negate the nice form factor of this little box.

I am going to try and give the ODROID-U3 a try.
(2014-04-12, 17:09)jsp1 Wrote:
(2014-04-12, 16:35)Martijn Wrote: There will may be any exceptions at time as manufacturers actually implement it like it should but don't count on it.
Also it's not our responsibility to provide any hardware info on capabilities. Only Pivos has proper pass-through capabilities and some others

I didn't mean to imply it was your responsibility. It just seems the community at large is not well informed on this issue and that questions regarding it (usually) go unanswered. It would be pertinent information for many people so including it in the wiki or on the first post of the thread would save some trouble/money for future android xbmc rookies. I don't quite understand if it isn't a hardware limitation and someone such as pivos can do it why a much more capable box cannot. Chalk that up to my ignorance but in general android versions have left a bad taste in my mouth anyway. I appreciate all the effort that has gone into it though. So, please take all my comments with the respect and appreciation that is intended (even if it doesn't come across properly).

I've posted my test of Lossless Audio on XBMC a couple of times on this thread, and its on my first post if you went to the Xda thread (i try to keep my posts here more to xbmc settings and findings) but i dont know how true the comment about no lossless audio plays on any android box. Atleast thats the first time i've heard about it. I'll keep looking but i believe there was a build i used where i played DTS-HD MA and there was no static

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2703716
(2014-04-12, 11:28)Koying Wrote: This Gotham build should bring you passthrough (to be enabled in audio settings, of course): http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/andr...bi-v7a.apk

You rock

just tested it and this is my new favorite xbmc version.
(2014-04-13, 02:03)FishOil Wrote: I think many of you that prefer Linux over Android (when a Linux build comes out) will find a single USB port unacceptable.

IR is a must IMO and that alone will consume the USB port.
An RF mini keyboard will also be required. (Bluetooth is finicky IMO).

In addition, any kind of external USB hub would also negate the nice form factor of this little box.

I am going to try and give the ODROID-U3 a try.

Is there another USB header inside?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Tinwarble. Thank you. That worked perfect. You da man. Grateful for you taking a min to help.

I will post on the libstagefright thread that they should post this within the first post for newbies. Had it been there I'd have been okay without asking.
E.g. Within XBMC, go to: "System> Settings> Display> Scroll down to the bottom and change it to "Expert" mode> Then go to Acceleration> And then turn off mediacodec but leave libstagefright on." Easy. Thank you again.

Koying. Actually, you're the man. Haha. And I wanted to let you know that this version ( http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/andr...bi-v7a.apk ) is playing flawlessly for me. At least to my eye.
I need to learn how to get the real time stats up on the screen so I can see if there are dropouts, but it doesn't look like there are ANY. Makes movie watching fun again.

I don't use optical out nor any pass through type audio, so can't report back. Not that I'm against it. I just need to learn about what's a good receiver to buy and I might get into it. It will have to be low wattage though I won't buy. (PM'd suggestions or thread links always appreciated. Then I can contribute on future builds to help the community.)

The only thing that isn't working is skip ahead on my FTV remote. That not enabled or I need to do something special? Or just use another remote?
I have a Harmony and a FLIRC. Should I just get those going instead? I'd still love to just get the FTV remote to skip ahead. I like its simplicity.

About the FTV:
I wanted to take a minute to share my thoughts on the FTV itself if you all don't mind.

I have to say, this is hands down the BEST experience I've had yet with any player. Any. I own an OUYA. I owned a MINIX X7 with Finless latest. I own a 2820 NUC. I have an ATV 1 & ATV3. And I run XBMC on my desktops. But I have to say, there's something about the hardware they've chosen and the OS they've designed for the FTV that makes it just SMOOTH AS HELL. Even in watching Amazon Prime, Plex and Netflix videos I find the FTV to finally give me the experience I've been longing for. Even the menu's are fast and smooth with a great look. Why has it taken so long for someone to get it right? When watching my FTV I have the experience of forgetting I'm watching through a software based device. It's so smooth to me and never hangs or skips that I feel like I did when watching analog broadcast TV back in the day, only in HD! It's just flawless. I finally can relax and just enjoy the movie. Thank you Amazon! Add to that that it's FANLESS and therefore completely silent, cool to the touch, super low wattage and only $99. I think I'll be buying more. Amazon might be doing Apple fit and finish better than Apple these days. No. Actually they ARE. My Fire HDX 7" tab also rocks.

Anyway. It's also looking like Koying here has given me that same smoothness for my XBMC now as well. Thank you Koying. Do you accept donations?

Thanks all.
R
Got 2 question for you guys,

Like I said before i'm using SPMC on Ouya.. waiting for my FireTV but I was wondering if the colors on the FTV are better then on the OUYA ? I find that every movies/tv show looks very dark on the ouya.. is it an android problem ? (The brightness of my tv is at max and it's still dark compared to my main pc)

Also, i'm running frodo on mySQL server, if I put gotham on the FTV would it keep the watched status or I have to switch the version on the MySQL ? Is there a quick way to upgrade from frodo to gotham without redoing everything (scrapping library, setting skin)

Thx !
(2014-04-13, 01:23)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-04-12, 23:50)jocala Wrote: I was hoping it would allow me to change the time (I'm stuck on Pacific) and turn on developer debug
Don't need anything special to set Time Zone. Settings > System > Time Zone.

I can't believe I missed that. Thanks Smile
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
(2014-04-13, 04:05)Netix Wrote: Like I said before i'm using SPMC on Ouya.. waiting for my FireTV but I was wondering if the colors on the FTV are better then on the OUYA ? I find that every movies/tv show looks very dark on the ouya.. is it an android problem ? (The brightness of my tv is at max and it's still dark compared to my main pc)

I have never used Ouya, but I had a similar experience with my XBMC on my Windows machine. The colors on FTV are way better.

(2014-04-13, 04:05)Netix Wrote: Also, i'm running frodo on mySQL server, if I put gotham on the FTV would it keep the watched status or I have to switch the version on the MySQL ? Is there a quick way to upgrade from frodo to gotham without redoing everything (scrapping library, setting skin)

Thx !
I used XBMCbackup addon (Under XBMC.org Addons) to backup the desired settings from either Frodo or Gotham. I can then easily restore the settings to any installation. May be there is an easy way, but this approach works very well.
  • 79(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10