• 82(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-13, 14:30)nero12 Wrote: Since i like to include custom remote install on simple installer.

I need to know how to create a folder using adb ?
as i need to create the folders "userdata" and keymaps" as these wont be generated before first xbmc start.
please advice how to create a folder using adb client.

adb shell mkdir /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata

etc
[/quote]
The guy you’re quoting is comparing the XBMC experience of the boxes, it was a well written being that his audience is an XBMC community. Root is handy but the device has only been out for 10 days, give it time. As for overclocking which might sound cool really, let’s be honest the firetv doesn’t need to be overclocked currently (maybe later but not currently) because their hardware is mostly top notch (not having gig nic is only drawback i can think of) you can’t play retro games? I have a PSX, psp, mame, n64 and super nintendo emulator running on my firetv. Sorry for that rant, just wanted to defend the firetv quickly but let’s get back on topic. I dont have a an x7 only a ouya, mojo, and a firetv and the firetv has not only had a working XBMC version the quickest out of the other two but it has the best response time from loading, skipping ahead and not crashing as much as other players. So my question for you is if you compared the x7 to the fire tv solely on XBMC experience who deserves the crown and why?

[/quote]

Xbmc runs the same on both boxes same interface same smoothness I can play 1080p content I can play live TV I really don't notice a difference in Xbmc alone on either box.
I haven't tried minix Xbmc version in awhile. I know that both are considered beta. They seem to be waiting on Gotham for a full release. I will try more skipping around to see how it works. I typically play a movie not jump around.

How did you get emulators on the box? And how do you control it? You can't use the USB port for mounting so where are your games?
The x7 is much better out if box with minix latest software. They really seem to listen to customers feedback. My only issue with FTV is what if amazon decides to lock it down at some point. Doubtful but who knows.
The FTv is polished mostly because it's not a standard stupid interface they custom designed the software for it. That is my biggest complaint about droid boxes. Apple took a mobile interface and made it great for the Apple TV. Android just ports over the tablet to box. So you have maps apps and browsers that think your mobile. You have so many issues and seems amazon is fixing that.
I would like to see a 16gb version too down the road because 8gb don't last long if you start running emulators and Xbmc and other apps.
Oh yeah, the Pi. Haha. I have one of those too. Forgot all about it. It was just too slow in the menus for me to enjoy it. But it was fun for a day playing with OE. Been sitting in the corner for months now. Not enough juice to make the menus as smooth as I demand. Especially with the mouse pointer. But it was a great value for its time. Now that others only about 2x its a new era.

Also on the brightness/darkness issue: I noticed that my FTV is very bright. I was looking for a way to turn it down. Almost gives a grey screen instead of black on my Sony LCD. The OUYA is darker for sure. Hope that helps.
(2014-04-13, 12:12)Koying Wrote: Could someone do a

Code:
adb shell cat /system/etc/audio_policy.conf

and link the output, please.

I see one has already been posted, but just in case you need more for reference or comparison.

http://pastebin.com/2Ppk3XuY
Unlike many of you, I'm willing to live without high-def audio, so I typically rip my movies with just the core 5.1 audio tracks (DTS or Dolby Digital). I'm a little more particular about PQ, though, and I do like to keep the movies at the full Blu-ray bitrate. Some of that is VC-1 or MPEG-2. Also, I have a Windows Media Center that I use to record content, which is also HD MPEG-2. This Fire TV, like most of these modern low-cost boxes, seems to support hardware MPEG-4 decoding just fine, but there doesn't appear to be hardware MPEG-2 or VC-1. But with a more powerful CPU than my Apple TV, I'm wondering if it's able to still pull off smooth playback of those via the CPU?

Also, any possibility that we'll be able to see 24fps support with this box?
(2014-04-13, 16:13)Scott R Wrote: Also, I have a Windows Media Center that I use to record content, which is also HD MPEG-2. This Fire TV, like most of these modern low-cost boxes, seems to support hardware MPEG-4 decoding just fine, but there doesn't appear to be hardware MPEG-2 or VC-1. But with a more powerful CPU than my Apple TV, I'm wondering if it's able to still pull off smooth playback of those via the CPU?

One user posted that installing PVR.WMC works perfectly, and both 720P and 1080i MPEG-2 play back without an issue.
Koying, is there any sort of change that could be made that would allow proper rebinding of the fastforward and rewind keys? I've tried everything I can think of to rebind them but the most recent build of SPMC does not recognize the inputs.
(2014-04-13, 12:21)Koying Wrote:
(2014-04-12, 22:41)n3on Wrote: Per Koying's instructions I've uploaded a sample file http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/51...e-avi.html

During xvid/divx playback there is an annoying stutter or jerkiness. It's very subtle but incredibly annoying if you try and actually watch a video with it. Especially noticeable during the panning sequence of the sample. It plays smoothly with an OUYA using MediaCodec and turning off stagefright.

Could others verify they are experiencing the same problem? Thank you!
Could some of you try @n3on sample and confirm/infirm a jitter, please.

The site is not letting me download the sample right now; however, I am also seeing a jitter on divx files. As n3on states, it's easiest to see during panning; many times it's not noticeable.

Otherwise, in my experience so far the latest Gotham builds are running quite well with libstagefright on and MediaCodec off.
(2014-04-13, 16:22)haikuginger Wrote: One user posted that installing PVR.WMC works perfectly, and both 720P and 1080i MPEG-2 play back without an issue.

A surprising number of users accept 1080i with no or poor de-interlacing so I don't consider the verdict in yet.

Martin
(2014-04-13, 17:05)emveepee Wrote:
(2014-04-13, 16:22)haikuginger Wrote: One user posted that installing PVR.WMC works perfectly, and both 720P and 1080i MPEG-2 play back without an issue.

A surprising number of users accept 1080i with no or poor de-interlacing so I don't consider the verdict in yet.

Martin

1080i sucks anyway and should die in a fire Smile
Yeah, I saw that post, but as emveepee alluded, there are a lot of people out there that accept sub-standard quality (including stutters, pauses, etc.), so I was hoping to hear more first-hand reports on how well the Fire TV's CPU is able to software-decode MPEG-2 and VC-1.
(2014-04-13, 17:05)emveepee Wrote:

Martin

Well, we "accept" it only because in the US it's the best format we can get over cable. Most US cable subscribers can't get anything higher than 1080i. I believe that's true for Comcast and TWC anyway.

For me it's critical that FTV supports 1080i MPEG2, but I couldn't care less if it supports 1080p MPEG2. I'm not sure I have any other MPEG2 content outside of PVR.

Edit: I think I misunderstood your comment. Anyway, if there's a concern that the quality of 1080i live TV is poor (due to poor deinterlacing) then I'd welcome more feedback!
I got My FTV and its working great thank you guys for all the hard work and also to Koying lemme know if you don't have a box yet i would like to contribute and get you one .
I did airplay with iTunes music and its working great
(2014-04-13, 12:14)nero12 Wrote: hi,

wiki is misisng uninstall instructions

I am writting this simple bat file with 1 click installation of XBMC or any other app onto FireTV.

Can someone tell me how to do an uninstall through adp ?

i believe i need to know the package name for the following apk :
"XBMC", "SPMC", or "XBMC on OUYA

adp uninstall+re <package-name>

correct ?

anyone know the package names for the above once ? or where i can find it ? [/align]
I don't think the wiki really needs uninstall instructions, as you can easily uninstall XBMC via the Fire TV itself through the same menu used to launch it.
Anyway...
It's not ADP, it's ADB (as in Android Debug Bridge).
Command to uninstall is "adb uninstall <package name>". You can list all installed packages with "adb shell pm list packages". But like I said, this seems unnecessary.

(2014-04-13, 14:30)nero12 Wrote: Since i like to include custom remote install on simple installer.

I need to know how to create a folder using adb ?
as i need to create the folders "userdata" and keymaps" as these wont be generated before first xbmc start.
please advice how to create a folder using adb client.

I'd recommend you do some research on ADB via the Android SDK documentation, as these questions really aren't XBMC-specific.

(2014-04-13, 16:35)tomatosoup Wrote: Koying, is there any sort of change that could be made that would allow proper rebinding of the fastforward and rewind keys? I've tried everything I can think of to rebind them but the most recent build of SPMC does not recognize the inputs.

Grab the Keymap Editor in the official repo, and you can easily modify them to do whatever you want.
I've got mine working as FF and RW, among other things.
(2014-04-13, 17:29)Scott R Wrote:
Yeah, I saw that post, but as emveepee alluded, there are a lot of people out there that accept sub-standard quality (including stutters, pauses, etc.), so I was hoping to hear more first-hand reports on how well the Fire TV's CPU is able to software-decode MPEG-2 and VC-1.

short of sitting on my couch, there is no way to satisfy that viewpoint other than testing it for yourself.
  • 82(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10