• 89(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-14, 17:39)ktrdsl23 Wrote: I posted this earlier in the thread but never saw a response so I thought I would try again.

What are people seeing when the proper shutdown procedure isn't done (shutdown within XBMC).

As my wife and kids will use this they often just turn a TV off or will switch over to DVR no matter how many times I try and tell them to quit out of it. I try to have automated remote macros which forces a proper shutdown at the end but there are always times where something slips by. I see two main things that could happen with the Fire TV outside of a proper shutdown and am wondering what happens when these things happen:

1) XBMC is left running and you just switch away to another source or turn off your TV
2) You hit the Amazon home button so that you leave XBMC but you didn't shut it down

If either of these things are done I wondered if Fire TV would either switch to the screensaver or go to sleep mode and what occurs with the power usage compared to if it was exited properly and Fire TV goes to sleep mode.

Thanks.

If I leave XBMC on, my XBMC screensaver comes up and stays on. I could set it to quit after a certain time period in XBMC's power saving settings, but I don't. If I just home out of XBMC, the Amazon screensaver comes on and then it goes to sleep about 30 minutes later. Hope this helps.
(2014-04-14, 17:39)ktrdsl23 Wrote: I posted this earlier in the thread but never saw a response so I thought I would try again.

What are people seeing when the proper shutdown procedure isn't done (shutdown within XBMC).

As my wife and kids will use this they often just turn a TV off or will switch over to DVR no matter how many times I try and tell them to quit out of it. I try to have automated remote macros which forces a proper shutdown at the end but there are always times where something slips by. I see two main things that could happen with the Fire TV outside of a proper shutdown and am wondering what happens when these things happen:

1) XBMC is left running and you just switch away to another source or turn off your TV
2) You hit the Amazon home button so that you leave XBMC but you didn't shut it down

If either of these things are done I wondered if Fire TV would either switch to the screensaver or go to sleep mode and what occurs with the power usage compared to if it was exited properly and Fire TV goes to sleep mode.

Thanks.

Considering this thing is using about 2.6 watts while streaming a 720p video (measured with my kilowatt p3) my main concern was how to make it AUTO start xbmc in case of a power failure/etc. This thing will be running 24x7 in my home. Once the quirks are figured out I'll be getting a few more to be "always on" devices. It costs me like 20 cents a month if I had it stream a 720 video 24x7. That's a joke. My old xbox running xbmc4xbox ran at about 50 watts while streaming costing about 5 bucks a month if streaming 24x7. The concern is moot in my eyes.
(2014-04-14, 17:44)cstark27 Wrote: Have you set the shutdown function in XBMC to quit after a certain time limit of inactivity? Also, if you go to like Netflix, and XBMC is still running, the box will go to 'sleep' (no white led). I cannot answer the power usage question.

No, I didn't know that function existed. In which setting menu is it in? I'm assuming inactivity would mean no movie is running and not simply no button presses, correct?
(2014-04-14, 17:19)n3on Wrote:
(2014-04-13, 09:44)Tinwarble Wrote: @Koying,

I may have spoken a little too soon. With xbmc-20140412-1d32fd0-AmazonFire-armeabi-v7a.apk I'm still seeing some jittery playback, it's not constant but seems to happen mostly with left to right motion (panning). Not sure what is causing it, but if you need any log files just let me know.. Right now I'd have say that video playback is about 95% perfect.

Thank you for all you hard work.

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Is the media you're watching Xvid/Divx? I've uploaded a sample for people to try.

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/51...e-avi.html

(2014-04-13, 16:51)sspectre Wrote:
(2014-04-13, 12:21)Koying Wrote: Could some of you try @n3on sample and confirm/infirm a jitter, please.

The site is not letting me download the sample right now; however, I am also seeing a jitter on divx files. As n3on states, it's easiest to see during panning; many times it's not noticeable.

Otherwise, in my experience so far the latest Gotham builds are running quite well with libstagefright on and MediaCodec off.

I just tested the link and it is working. As most of my media is in Xvid/Divx this jitter is really stopping me from being able to enjoy spmc.

It's not just panning, but that's when it is extremely noticeable, any fast paced action scenes and even just fastforward/rewind are hiccupy compared to an x264. I tried watching a movie and you can almost forget that it's there on the occasion and then it will become painfully obvious in some scenes.

I'm upgrading from an old Xbox with xbmc4xbox which plays divx/xvid content flawlessly. Having a hard time convincing the girlfriend as to why the FireTV is so awesome when it doesn't play our content as well haha. She's gonna have to deal with it for now.

I'm not sure what the problem was on Saturday; I was getting an SQL error from the site. My divx/xvid files are showing similar symptoms though.
(2014-04-14, 15:03)Apothis Wrote:
(2014-04-14, 13:32)Koying Wrote: From https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/faq.html#General , it appears Amazon checks if an app is sideloaded and doesn't show it on the main screen if it is.

One of the way they could do so is to check from which application the apk was installed, which would return nothing when we sideload via adb. There is a way to spoof this, though.

Could you try to re-install SPMC/xbmc with:
Code:
adb install -r -i com.amazon.venezia <apk file>
and report, please. You might need to reboot for the launcher to pick up the change.

Still doesnt seem to show in amazon launcher, even after a reboot.

I suspect there is some validation with applications that are in the Amazon App Store. I sideloaded ES Explorer which shows as unavailable for the Fire TV in the Amazon App Store. ES Explorer does show in my Recent list along with the other recent apps. XBMC has never made it onto my Recent list.
Does anyone know if hdmi cec somehow works with the firetv remote/firetv so that it will turn your television off so I won't need two remotes?
(2014-04-14, 17:59)ktrdsl23 Wrote:
(2014-04-14, 17:44)cstark27 Wrote: Have you set the shutdown function in XBMC to quit after a certain time limit of inactivity? Also, if you go to like Netflix, and XBMC is still running, the box will go to 'sleep' (no white led). I cannot answer the power usage question.

No, I didn't know that function existed. In which setting menu is it in? I'm assuming inactivity would mean no movie is running and not simply no button presses, correct?
I think it's under System>Power Saving
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Set...wer_saving

(2014-04-14, 18:31)lolwatpear Wrote: Does anyone know if hdmi cec somehow works with the firetv remote/firetv so that it will turn your television off so I won't need two remotes?
From the first post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1674589
(2014-04-14, 18:36)cstark27 Wrote:
(2014-04-14, 17:59)ktrdsl23 Wrote:

I think it's under System>Power Saving
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Set...wer_saving

(2014-04-14, 18:31)lolwatpear Wrote: Does anyone know if hdmi cec somehow works with the firetv remote/firetv so that it will turn your television off so I won't need two remotes?
From the first post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1674589

Sorry, but I don't know/think that answers my question. I know HDMI cec will work (and that my television remote could control everything), but I'd like to use the amazon remote for it's smaller size and voice recognition feature and nothing else. How would I turn on/turn off the television with only the amazon remote itself (using hdmi-cec)?
Quote:Sorry, but I don't know/think that answers my question. I know HDMI cec will work (and that my television remote could control everything), but I'd like to use the amazon remote for it's smaller size and voice recognition feature and nothing else. How would I turn on/turn off the television with only the amazon remote itself (using hdmi-cec)?

It doesn't work like that. You can use your TV's remote to control the FireTV, not the other way around. Also the voice recognition is for the Amazon services only, not xbmc.
(2014-04-14, 20:15)n3on Wrote:
Quote:Sorry, but I don't know/think that answers my question. I know HDMI cec will work (and that my television remote could control everything), but I'd like to use the amazon remote for it's smaller size and voice recognition feature and nothing else. How would I turn on/turn off the television with only the amazon remote itself (using hdmi-cec)?

It doesn't work like that. You can use your TV's remote to control the FireTV, not the other way around. Also the voice recognition is for the Amazon services only, not xbmc.

thanks, okay, well that'll be good enough i suppose. as for the voice recognition, i'm interested in hopes that they make it system-wide.
How far away are we from having a single android apk for all devices or is that not even a goal?
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
It will be sweet to see what clever uses devs come up with for that remote microphone. Or is it "siloed" in such a way that this won't be possible? Or too early to tell?
(2014-04-14, 18:18)sspectre Wrote:
(2014-04-14, 17:19)n3on Wrote:
(2014-04-13, 09:44)Tinwarble Wrote: @Koying,

I may have spoken a little too soon. With xbmc-20140412-1d32fd0-AmazonFire-armeabi-v7a.apk I'm still seeing some jittery playback, it's not constant but seems to happen mostly with left to right motion (panning). Not sure what is causing it, but if you need any log files just let me know.. Right now I'd have say that video playback is about 95% perfect.

Thank you for all you hard work.

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Is the media you're watching Xvid/Divx? I've uploaded a sample for people to try.

(2014-04-13, 16:51)sspectre Wrote: The site is not letting me download the sample right now; however, I am also seeing a jitter on divx files. As n3on states, it's easiest to see during panning; many times it's not noticeable.

Otherwise, in my experience so far the latest Gotham builds are running quite well with libstagefright on and MediaCodec off.

I just tested the link and it is working. As most of my media is in Xvid/Divx this jitter is really stopping me from being able to enjoy spmc.

It's not just panning, but that's when it is extremely noticeable, any fast paced action scenes and even just fastforward/rewind are hiccupy compared to an x264. I tried watching a movie and you can almost forget that it's there on the occasion and then it will become painfully obvious in some scenes.

I'm upgrading from an old Xbox with xbmc4xbox which plays divx/xvid content flawlessly. Having a hard time convincing the girlfriend as to why the FireTV is so awesome when it doesn't play our content as well haha. She's gonna have to deal with it for now.

I'm not sure what the problem was on Saturday; I was getting an SQL error from the site. My divx/xvid files are showing similar symptoms though.

In my testing, it is only jittery if I skip forward or backward. It fixes it if I stop then resume playing or just don't skip forward/backward.
(2014-04-14, 21:37)sbingner Wrote:
(2014-04-14, 18:18)sspectre Wrote:
(2014-04-14, 17:19)n3on Wrote: I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Is the media you're watching Xvid/Divx? I've uploaded a sample for people to try.

In my testing, it is only jittery if I skip forward or backward. It fixes it if I stop then resume playing or just don't skip forward/backward.

No, mine are all mkv/h.264 1080p @4.1 or @4.0, Handbrake encoded (all of which I have encoded myself and that have been tested on various media players, like my WDTV Lives as well as my RPi). I also don't see it if I skip forward/backwards, although if I skip backward multiple times in a row the vid will become pixelated for a few secs.

The jitter seems to primarily happen when the vid is panning (left to right or right to left) and looks like what happens when I turn the "motion enhancements" On on my TV.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-04-14, 20:15)n3on Wrote:

Actually, it could work like that, if Amazon added such support. CEC is a two-way street.
  • 89(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10