• 93(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-15, 17:01)sadboy Wrote:
(2014-04-15, 04:21)cstark27 Wrote:
(2014-04-15, 01:53)XmemphistoX Wrote: How did you change the home button to launch xbmc?
I side loaded Llama, then basically set a variable at startup to true. Have to launch XBMC manually the first time, which changes said variable to false. Then one more event that says if variable is false and current app is KFTV Launcher, launch XBMC. This actually will just take you back to where you were in XBMC last, but oh well. And sometimes you'll see the Amazon home for a second before XBMC comes up. Not perfect, but also way easier for letting other people cruise around on the box.
See Llama events: http://i.imgur.com/MBcKNcA.jpg

That's really neat. But does sleep work if you leave XBMC on?

(2014-04-15, 04:32)elmerohueso Wrote: Posted my keymap, now that the FF and RW buttons are working.

Thanks. Your one makes the most sense so far Smile

Sleep does not work with this solution. It did however work with Gotham running before I put Llama on using this method. Kinda strange.

(2014-04-15, 07:04)cstark27 Wrote: Nope, sorry. That's one caveat since Amazon decided to implement (kind of poorly IMO) their content into the Home app.

Edit: this just means with the way I decided to keep XBMC always up. If/when we get root or a way to bypass Amazon Home with the stock remote, there could be a lot better solutions. Or maybe with some fancy remote but I'm not sure on that one.

Yeah, I figured as much. I agree though, I absolutely hate the stock home screen UI. I was hoping amazon video could be launched as an app from xbmc, but no luck on that. Strangely, Amber crashes when I try to access android apps and I have to favorite them from Confluence (after which they work fine in Amber). Anyway, thanks for the quick fix...It makes the box infinitely more user friendly IMO.
(2014-04-15, 17:41)renhack Wrote: Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you get to the expanded movie information? The screen for rescraping the movie for images and info. I'm on the Gotham build.

Depends on the skin, however on most you would push 'up' and at the bottom is library update. For the 'right click' menu you would use the 'menu' button with three lines on it up (with fire tv remote).
So sorry to ask but which xbmc build is the best for this box now? I know it was xbmc ouya but i thought i read we had done a better version
Has anyone had a problem disabling a pvr client in the gotham build on fire tv? I can enable one but nothing happens when I click on the disable button. It appears it will let me deinstall, but I have two different clients enabled and want just to disable one.
(2014-04-15, 18:11)jsp1 Wrote: Sleep does not work with this solution. It did however work with Gotham running before I put Llama on using this method. Kinda strange.
Hm, did you have the Power Saving option in XBMC set to quit, before? Llama is probably just infinitely making XBMC open back up. At the moment, I am not sure how we could change the variable if XBMC is completely exited, since Llama defines the action as "Stopped or in background". But anyway, I feel we are possibly getting away from the thread topic here.

Koying, are you familiar with invoking intents on Android and do you know if the Gotham XBMC build you provided lately supports them? I mean I see some in the AndroidManifest.xml but get issues when trying to use them.
(2014-04-15, 19:13)ilovemymac Wrote: So sorry to ask but which xbmc build is the best for this box now? I know it was xbmc ouya but i thought i read we had done a better version

Wiki... Read the Wiki.. it answers your question
(2014-04-15, 01:53)underworld123 Wrote:
(2014-04-15, 01:48)cstark27 Wrote:
(2014-04-15, 01:38)ilovemymac Wrote: Anyone load a different launcher on this?

I loaded Nova and TVLauncher. You can't set any other app as the default launcher if that's what you're wondering. But with some Llama trickery, you can get the home button to take you back to the selected launcher...or XBMC like I have. I have the Amber skin, favorited the Netflix/Hulu/etc apps and added them to the home menu. Now I see this when I press Home. Smile

http://i.imgur.com/VPuY6dt.jpg

That is neat. Is there a limit on the number of Apps that you can add to the home menu? Can you display them in a grid format to add more apps?

I don't have a Fire TV yet, but it's only a matter of time before I purchase one. The best skin I used on my Ouya (still android based) was Xperience1080. Adding app short cuts as tiles on the home screen looked great and very professional. I imagine it would work even better on Fire TV with Netflix, Hulu, WatchESPN, etc... I can't wait to try it out once I buy one of these. You could have about 15 apps as shortcuts on the homescreen using this skin. Should be plenty for most people.
(2014-04-15, 18:11)jsp1 Wrote: Yeah, I figured as much. I agree though, I absolutely hate the stock home screen UI. I was hoping amazon video could be launched as an app from xbmc, but no luck on that. Strangely, Amber crashes when I try to access android apps and I have to favorite them from Confluence (after which they work fine in Amber). Anyway, thanks for the quick fix...It makes the box infinitely more user friendly IMO.

So KFTV Launcher opens just fine for me under android apps. I can even favorite it and launch it from the favorite slide-in menu from confluence. I cannot add it as a shortcut under programs in confluence, KFTV launcher will not show up. Amber used to crash on me all the time back before Gotham when opening the android apps folder, seemed like they got Amber fixed with the last update for Gotham.

(2014-04-14, 18:31)lolwatpear Wrote: Does anyone know if hdmi cec somehow works with the firetv remote/firetv so that it will turn your television off so I won't need two remotes?

I have Samsung tv from around 2009 with Anynet+ CEC. It detects the Fire and will power on my tv if I wake up the Fire with my Ortek remote (or whaterver). That's pretty much where it stops for me, I have random play-back control in random programs. For example FF works to skip tracks in pandora, but that's it. In XBMC all I can do is pause it. In Amazon IV it works to skip ahead and behind and pause. I've tried every button in every program, that's all I got. It could be my cable, but I have no other CEC devices to test with.

FYI TO ALL USERS: To reboot the fire remotely hold "Play/Pause" and "Select" for 5 seconds. I would be glad to add to wiki, but I'll have to wait a bit it seems.
Regarding skins. One of the major problems with android that I have encountered was that if I was using a skin other than confluence if I rebooted the box all of the guisettings would disappear. On another android box you had to have root to be able to run a script manager and copy guisettings back to userdata at boot from a backup. So the question is are skins guisettings remaining after a reboot of the box (unplug for 3 minutes, and plug back in)?
(2014-04-15, 19:59)jjhtpc Wrote: Regarding skins. One of the major problems with android that I have encountered was that if I was using a skin other than confluence if I rebooted the box all of the guisettings would disappear. On another android box you had to have root to be able to run a script manager and copy guisettings back to userdata at boot from a backup. So the question is are skins guisettings remaining after a reboot of the box (unplug for 3 minutes, and plug back in)?
Never seen that anywhere, personally.
This issue seems to popup from times to times on the forums, on buggy devices, but it's an hardware issue.

Don't FUD, please.
(2014-04-15, 19:59)jjhtpc Wrote: Regarding skins. One of the major problems with android that I have encountered was that if I was using a skin other than confluence if I rebooted the box all of the guisettings would disappear. On another android box you had to have root to be able to run a script manager and copy guisettings back to userdata at boot from a backup. So the question is are skins guisettings remaining after a reboot of the box (unplug for 3 minutes, and plug back in)?

I used to get this all the time on my G-Box until someone came out with a custom ROM mounting the external SD Card as the internal. So I tested this out a bit. I added a shortcut and then force closed XBMC, no problem. Then I added a couple more things to home screen and did a remote reboot, all good. Then I came back in XBMC added a few shortcuts while I was playing a song in the Pandora app and began playing a link from the Youtube add-on. With all that going on I yanked the power and waited. No loss of settings, however XBMC did crash the first time I tried to launch it. Opened it again and everything was still there.
(2014-04-15, 19:15)cstark27 Wrote:
(2014-04-15, 18:11)jsp1 Wrote: Sleep does not work with this solution. It did however work with Gotham running before I put Llama on using this method. Kinda strange.
Hm, did you have the Power Saving option in XBMC set to quit, before? Llama is probably just infinitely making XBMC open back up. At the moment, I am not sure how we could change the variable if XBMC is completely exited, since Llama defines the action as "Stopped or in background". But anyway, I feel we are possibly getting away from the thread topic here.

Koying, are you familiar with invoking intents on Android and do you know if the Gotham XBMC build you provided lately supports them? I mean I see some in the AndroidManifest.xml but get issues when trying to use them.

That's the funny thing...I did not have it set, nor is it set now. The box went to sleep in XBMC and would wake in XBMC. Now it won't sleep at all. I'm sure that this was happening because I couldn't figure out how or why. I realize Llama should have no effect on this, so I'm stumped. Confused

Anyway, I'm fine with having it just stay on for the time being.

Dismantler, are you saying KFTV will launch with the Llama settings from the thread and stay open without reverting to XBMC? Or just in general. For me Llama will immediately push it back into XBMC (desired effect).
I just got my firetv hooked up and installed this build: xbmc-20140414-9c1cc08-AmazonFire-armeabi-v7a

Are there any settings I should change out of the box? I'm attempting to play a 13GB h.264 movie over an https source and while it plays there is very noticeable stutter/jitter in the video. 0 dropped frames are being reported by xbmc however, and cpu usage doesn't seem to go above 50%. Everything seems to be working fine with the same video/source on SMPC 12.4.2 though, which is great!
I've been running XBMC on my Fire TV and so far it's been great. I was wondering if it would ever support 24p output? I know this is a limitation of the Fire TV itself, but I wasn't sure the status on controlling the hardware.
(2014-04-15, 21:13)touser Wrote: I just got my firetv hooked up and installed this build: xbmc-20140414-9c1cc08-AmazonFire-armeabi-v7a

Are there any settings I should change out of the box? I'm attempting to play a 13GB h.264 movie over an https source and while it plays there is very noticeable stutter/jitter in the video. 0 dropped frames are being reported by xbmc however, and cpu usage doesn't seem to go above 50%. Everything seems to be working fine with the same video/source on SMPC 12.4.2 though, which is great!

Try turning off MediaCodec acceleration in the Video settings (you will have to put the settings into Expert mode at the bottom left).
  • 93(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10