• 99(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
I've been following the thread but now I'm about 20 pages behind. Things are moving quickly.

for all my testing (GBox midnight, RPi etc), I've always used HDMI for audio. I've got a mixed bag of media on my NAS, just about every video format, lots of different audio formats etc.

For right now I'm going to put my Fire on my Bedroom TV which I have been using with RPi. It's a Samsung Smart TV (2012). I've been using CEC and the samsung remote to control. Audio has been fed through the HDMI to the TV, no outboard amplification or audio formats.

What build of xbmc should I use? I was going to use the Oyua build but I just read somewhere that it didn't support CEC. I see some of the xbmc builds are now working much better but I'm still a little confused. I'd like to avoid having to plow through a bunch of builds if possible.

Thanks,

Roveer
See the builds here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
i just wanna drop some repos like fantastic in spmc version cause the installer is empty even using force refresh . i have them in gotham but wanna try spmc version too .
Can anyone shed some light on one what the preferred video settings are for the SPMC 12.4.2 build? Should "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" and/or "Sync playback to display" be enabled?
Anyone having the latest Gotham build (Apr 14 build) crashing to the amazon home screen while performing library scans? Mine has done it a few times now, here is the xboc.log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=176134
(2014-04-17, 04:23)touser Wrote: Anyone having the latest Gotham build (Apr 14 build) crashing to the amazon home screen while performing library scans? Mine has done it a few times now, here is the xboc.log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=176134

Nope.
Everyone. Followed this thread since the fireTV was released. Finally got around to buying it today, and I cannot believe how well this thing works. Set Up, ADB install, Live TV (Myth and HDHOMERUN server) running in under an hour. If I see any issues, I will definitely pass them along, because I really think this is going to be a great box!
(2014-04-16, 19:51)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2014-04-16, 19:21)n3on Wrote: Because I have 10+ years of a media collection and not the resources/desire to re-encode them all. Also what container do you recommend? I find it incredibly hard to believe that playing old 480p video in Xvid/Divx should be a problem considering my xbox running xbmc4xbox streams it flawlessly. There's gotta be a simple solution if it was mastered 10+ years ago.

Again, those are just containers. Most likely they are MPEG 4 (codec), which is supported by the Fire TV, but that does not mean that divx/xvid/MPEG 4 is supported, Amazon doesn't make the distinction.

Yes, h.264 may be having the same or similar issues but that doesn't mean that they are caused by the same thing and it depends on what you mean by "jerky" since if you have a lot of jerkiness then it's not the same as h.264 which is small and irregular.

But as far as recommendation, either mkv/h.264 or mp4/h.264 which are more "universal".

Also, you don't necessarily need to re-encode. You could just run them through mkvtoolnix and do container swap, which should only take a couple of mins. per vid.

I am very into this idea and downloaded mkvtoolnix to give it a whirl but I'm kind of lost. Is there a guide you can point me to? The program suggests a few guis to try but they both seem geared toward using an mkv file as input.
(2014-04-17, 06:29)denmalley Wrote:
(2014-04-16, 19:51)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2014-04-16, 19:21)n3on Wrote: Because I have 10+ years of a media collection and not the resources/desire to re-encode them all. Also what container do you recommend? I find it incredibly hard to believe that playing old 480p video in Xvid/Divx should be a problem considering my xbox running xbmc4xbox streams it flawlessly. There's gotta be a simple solution if it was mastered 10+ years ago.

Again, those are just containers. Most likely they are MPEG 4 (codec), which is supported by the Fire TV, but that does not mean that divx/xvid/MPEG 4 is supported, Amazon doesn't make the distinction.

Yes, h.264 may be having the same or similar issues but that doesn't mean that they are caused by the same thing and it depends on what you mean by "jerky" since if you have a lot of jerkiness then it's not the same as h.264 which is small and irregular.

But as far as recommendation, either mkv/h.264 or mp4/h.264 which are more "universal".

Also, you don't necessarily need to re-encode. You could just run them through mkvtoolnix and do container swap, which should only take a couple of mins. per vid.

I am very into this idea and downloaded mkvtoolnix to give it a whirl but I'm kind of lost. Is there a guide you can point me to? The program suggests a few guis to try but they both seem geared toward using an mkv file as input.

I don't know what platform you are on, but assuming it is linux or os x I just ran this as a quick test as i'm in a similar situation to you and it seems to work just fine:

Code:
find /media/raid/testconvert/ -name "*.avi" | while read i; do mkvmerge -o "${i%avi}mkv" "${i}"; done

Replace "/media/raid/testconvert/" with the path to your Movies. That command will find all .avi files and convert them to .mkv
(2014-04-17, 06:29)denmalley Wrote: I am very into this idea and downloaded mkvtoolnix to give it a whirl but I'm kind of lost. Is there a guide you can point me to? The program suggests a few guis to try but they both seem geared toward using an mkv file as input.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "a few guis", unless you are referring to the individual tools. Mkvtoolnix is a combination a several tools, what you want to use is mmg.exe, (in Windows it should show up as MKVMerge Gui) then in that gui just click "Add" and browse to the vid you want to remux.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
amazing work guys.

Is there a plan to create a table of things that are currently working/not working etc?

I ask as the thread is getting pretty big.

I wanted to find out whether DTS and Dolby (not hd) will downmix as I just have plans to plug it directly into a tele via hdmi.
im doing the android adb connect, my fire tv tells me its ip is 10.1.1.4, but i can't seem to connect..
do i need like the 192.xxxx?

im not sure how? any helpers would be appreciated, can't live with plex.

msg 'adb: not found'

using terminal editor.. my phone isn't rooted..
This to mention that all AFTV patches have been merged to master/Gotham, so you can use nightlies as of today.
Oh thats sweet!!! nightlies it shall be!!
(2014-04-17, 11:10)JenkNZ Wrote: im doing the android adb connect, my fire tv tells me its ip is 10.1.1.4, but i can't seem to connect..
do i need like the 192.xxxx?

im not sure how? any helpers would be appreciated, can't live with plex.

msg 'adb: not found'

using terminal editor.. my phone isn't rooted..

10.x.x.x is actually a series of local IP addresses like 192.168.x.x, so that alone isn't a cause for concern. If the rest of your network is on 192.168.x.x, though, then your Fire TV is getting its IP address from somewhere else. If it's on WiFi, have you set up a range extender of some kind?
  • 99(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10