• 101(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-17, 15:06)Natedawg87 Wrote: I have followed this thread pretty closely, and I have a question that I don't remember seeing a clear answer for. I am currently using the SPMC build in the wiki (which I am pretty sure is based on Frodo). I want to try moving to Gotham to test out the new features that are being worked on/discussed here. If I create a backup in SPMC (Frodo) can I restore that backup once I install a Gotham build? I tried a Google search because I realize this is probably not limited to the Fire TV, but didn't find anything solid.

When following this thread, take a look at the first post from time-to-time, it gets updated with new summary-level details.

One of the really nice updates is the XBMC FireTV Wiki page, which mentions this:

Quote: Ouya, SPMC, and Gotham have different signatures, so they are completely independent from each other

You can upgrade from SPMC to Gotham and keep both versions concurrently. No problems at all. You could also transfer between them using XBMC Backup, which an earlier poster replied with. It's a plug-in that is built-in, URL: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:XBMC_Backup

I really do not see any value to SPMC over XBMC Gotham, as long as you're using 4-17 Nightlies (today) or later, which have the bug-fixes. I think you will be extremely happy with Gotham 4-17+ NIghtlies vs SPMC.
Any particular reason why the last nightly (4/17) has "bad" in the file name?

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/androi...40416-3c72bad-Gotham-armeabi-v7a.apk
(2014-04-17, 20:06)ktrdsl23 Wrote: Any particular reason why the last nightly (4/17) has "bad" in the file name?

Probably just coincidence that the hex ended up that way (A-F are only letters available)
Put the gotham build on my fire but I don't get any CEC.

I'm coming from a RPi environment. One of the things I like about RPi was that CEC worked out of the box allowing me to use my TV Remote to Control XBMC.

I put the Gotham build on my AFTV and noticed that CEC did not work. No box in the right hand corner on boot saying CEC was installed or initialized.

Now, that being said. I'm finding I can do almost everything I want with the included fire remote. Once I'm done configuring and want to turn it over for real world use I guess using the fire remote will work just fine. I got keyboard entries to work by turning on the "keyboard button press" option or whathever that was buried in the menu's. So I guess if I am unable to get CEC to work than the fire remote will be just fine.

Is CEC supposed to work in Gotham? I just sideloaded the SP version along side of gotham but did not have a chance to set it up. Was looking to see if that version makes any difference.

Thanks,

Roveer
(2014-04-17, 20:14)crackd Wrote:
(2014-04-17, 20:06)ktrdsl23 Wrote: Any particular reason why the last nightly (4/17) has "bad" in the file name?

Probably just coincidence that the hex ended up that way (A-F are only letters available)

The ghost of Michael Jackson!

couldn't resist
(2014-04-17, 20:15)roveer Wrote: Is CEC supposed to work in Gotham? I just sideloaded the SP version along side of gotham but did not have a chance to set it up. Was looking to see if that version makes any difference.

My understanding is that CEC is managed by the OS itself, not by XBMC. I could be wrong on that, though; don't quote me.
(2014-04-17, 20:15)roveer Wrote: Is CEC supposed to work in Gotham? I just sideloaded the SP version along side of gotham but did not have a chance to set it up. Was looking to see if that version makes any difference.

Thanks,

Roveer

I had to connect my TV to my AFTV through the menu settings in my TV. Once connected it did have very limited playback functionality in XBMC (Play/Pause, Skip), but no navigation abilities. It was not neccesary to change any settings in XBMC for that to happen. I've seen some people reporting full control through CEC so I suspect it may have to do with the AFTV itself as to whether you'll have full CEC control from your sepecific TV.

(2014-04-15, 20:53)jsp1 Wrote: Dismantler, are you saying KFTV will launch with the Llama settings from the thread and stay open without reverting to XBMC? Or just in general. For me Llama will immediately push it back into XBMC (desired effect).

Sorry, I mis-understood how Llama worked. Gave Llama a try and picked a random app to link to instead of the KFTV Launcher (I went with The Smithsonian App) and that gave me an easy way to launch XBMC from the KFTV launcher. Not exactly efficient, but quicker at least. Thanks for the guide!
My comments on XBMC on FIRE TV

Putting XBMC on a AFTV couldn't have been easier. Just followed the steps and was off to the races.

I put the gotham build on first. Keep in mind my config us pretty simple. I just want XBMC to serve up my movie collection on my NAS. I turn off Music, Pictures, Programs & Weather and when I'm done configuring I turn off Video so I just have Movies, TV Shows and Settings on the menu. I don't do any kind of fancy audio, just HDMI to the TV. I may expand this in the future but for now it's very simple. The only add-on I put in is the Universal Movie Scraper. I do let XBMC add You-Tube so it can play trailers, but again, very simple.

I have a lot of junk video's. Lots of low bitrate stuff, all manner of formats both audio and video and even a few HD videos, but not tons. I've always used a particular movie in my collection as my reference for testing XBMC builds as it's particularly crappy. I look for studders. My Samsung Smart TV plays this movie (streaming through smarthub) about as good as I could ever imagine). Smooth, no studdters or pauses. The smarthub app seems to make all my movies look better but has a lousy Gui which is nothing more than a crude file manager. So I use this as my comparison. My GBox midnight plays this video with all kinds of studders. Tried different firmware, different XBMC Builds etc no improvement. Not a buffering issue but a playback issue. Even moved the movie onto the box itself with no improvement. My RPi played the movie with slightly less studdering and when I turned on De-interlace it played it almost as good as the samsung TV. This became my new reference point for XBMC. Unfortunatly while I love the price of the RPi and the fun I had tinkering around with it, the GUI is slow. Now I've got a Fire and love the speed of the GUI. Nice and zippy. When I try and play my reference movie, it does have studder (Gotham). I can't turn on de-interlace because I believe that function is disabled because we have to use libstragefreight instead of mediacodecHuh When I allowed mediacodel and turned on deinterlace I got lots of slow mo playback.

So I just installed the SP Frodo build and will configure and try that. To be honest the way I use XBMC I could live using FRODO.

I'm enjoying this box so far. Still have tinkering to do, but like it's speed. Oh, and there is the whole Amazon side as well.

Roveer

I was so surprised when I loaded the SP Frodo build and didn't get an XBMC icon or splash screen. What is the SP Build and how does it get to be called something other than XBMC? I'm guessing it's an experimental build?
(2014-04-17, 19:37)kalikid021 Wrote: I actually have a douche question. I have been using the stable Frodo android version from day 1. I want to move to gotham, if I copy the contents of the userdata folder to gotham after the first run, should I be good to go as far as database, artwork, settings? I have a large collection, and it takes forever to scan, and then go through and make identification fixes, etc.
If you move from XBMC Frodo to XBMC Gotham, you actually have nothing to do. You might want to take a backup of /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/ in case you want to go back, though.
If you move from SPMC to Gotham, just copy /sdcard/Android/data/com.semperpax.spmc/ to /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/
(2014-04-17, 20:43)Koying Wrote:
(2014-04-17, 19:37)kalikid021 Wrote: I actually have a douche question. I have been using the stable Frodo android version from day 1. I want to move to gotham, if I copy the contents of the userdata folder to gotham after the first run, should I be good to go as far as database, artwork, settings? I have a large collection, and it takes forever to scan, and then go through and make identification fixes, etc.
If you move from XBMC Frodo to XBMC Gotham, you actually have nothing to do. You might want to take a backup of /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/ in case you want to go back, though.
If you move from SPMC to Gotham, just copy /sdcard/Android/data/com.semperpax.spmc/ to /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/

I wasn't sure it they had different signatures, and thus installed as 2 separate programs. Thank you for the reply, and THANK YOU in the most awesome manner for all your work on XBMC in general, as well as your work regarding this new device. You are a rockstar!
i have both spmc and gotham installed in my aftv. i like to use frodo only becuz i use lot fast forwarding ,which is problem in gotham.
everyday there is an update for gotham version . is there a way to just upgard from gotham version from one to an other gotham or got to do unistall &install again . thx

remember i wanna keep spmc . wanna just upgrade from gotham to gotham .
(2014-04-17, 21:04)Japgeisha Wrote: i have both spmc and gotham installed in my aftv. i like to use frodo only becuz i use lot fast forwarding ,which is problem in gotham.
everyday there is an update for gotham version . is there a way to just upgard from gotham version from one to an other gotham or got to do unistall &install again . thx

remember i wanna keep spmc . wanna just upgrade from gotham to gotham .

Use adb install -r <apk-file-name> to update without losing all your settings.
(2014-04-17, 11:37)Koying Wrote: This to mention thar all AFTV patches have been merged to master/Gotham, so you can use nightlies as of today.

Excellent! Thanks for that news Smile
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
(2014-04-17, 20:37)roveer Wrote: I've always used a particular movie in my collection as my reference for testing XBMC builds as it's particularly crappy. I look for studders.

Could you post a sample of this video? Would be interesting to investigate what caused the stutters.
(Probably some form of avi/vfw packed b-frames).
Hi,
Long time user of XBMC, but just got my newest toy yesterday.
Loaded SPMC 12.4.2 and copied my usual advancedsettings.xml, sources.xml, textures13.db and Thumbnails from my Pivos XIOS box. All is working exceedingly well.

One issue, though. I've enabled the subtitles addon, but keep getting errors when selecting a subtitle for download.
Full logfile: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=177187
The interesting parts apear to be lines 2505 to 2510.
Code:
15:01:44 T:1524690992   DEBUG: ### [XBMC Subtitles-utilities] - vfs module copy /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.semperpax.spmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/script.xbmc.subtitles/sub_tmp/Arrow.S02E19.HDTV.x264-LOL.HI.srt -> nfs://manas01.man.local/volume1/video/TV Serier/Arrow/Season 02/Arrow - s02e19 - The Man Under the Hood.srt
15:01:44 T:1524690992 WARNING: FileNFS::OpenForWrite() called with overwriting enabled! - //TV Serier/Arrow/Season 02/Arrow - s02e19 - The Man Under the Hood.srt
15:01:44 T:1524690992   ERROR: CNFSFile::Open: Unable to open file : '//TV Serier/Arrow/Season 02/Arrow - s02e19 - The Man Under the Hood.srt' error : 'open call failed with "NFS: Lookup of //TV Serier failed with NFS3ERR_NOENT(-2)"'
15:01:44 T:1520838272  NOTICE: Opening Subtitle stream: 0 source: 1024
15:01:44 T:1520838272   ERROR:  - Unable to create subtitle parser
15:01:44 T:1520838272 WARNING:  - Unsupported stream 0. Stream disabled.

The NFS share is exported as follows (RW)
Code:
/volume1/video *(rw,async,no_wdelay,insecure,no_root_squash,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

This is working just fine on my XIOS box, btw.

Hope someone can shed some light on what the issue might be.
/Mikkel
  • 101(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10