• 117(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
Pardon me if this has been discussed before, how does FTV in XBMC handle 24 p content?
(2014-04-22, 20:06)ozkhan1 Wrote: Pardon me if this has been discussed before, how does FTV in XBMC handle 24 p content?

XBMC on Android doesn't have the ability to change the display refresh rate, so I would assume that 24p content is being played back using 3:2 pulldown.
thanks haikuginger.
(2014-04-22, 08:23)Koying Wrote: XBMC on OUYA is "unofficial". It belongs to ouya, not us.

We already had heated internal discussions on whether to enter the Ouya store in our own name, even before the dts/dd drama, and we never reached a consensus.
Then dts/dd asked ouya to remove decoding or get a license (note that actually both companies are chasing for unlicensed decoding), which pretty much ended the discussion so far.

The question is still open, but don't forget we doing xbmc for free in our free time, and none of us is really keen in handling cease-and-desist injunctions and/or stripped builds just for added exposure ;-)
Ahh, thanks for the history lesson, was not aware of any of that.
Guys, for those have used both, how does the XBMC on FTV compare to that on NUC?

- In terms of ease of setup (e.g. MCE remote).
- Performance.

I am new to XBMC and not looking to do anything heavy duty with it. Just trying to decide which hardware to go for.

Thank you.
NUC is better (I have both Celeron and i3 versions, both with OpenELEC). But, for price and ability to have Netflix, Amazon Prime and games, Fire TV makes a great secondary box. Not for dedicated home theater use.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2014-04-22, 19:50)ukyank Wrote: If no one's tried it, emulators work great in the Fire TV

Could this be any more vague? Which ones!!!!!!!!!!! Amiga, Atari ST, PSP, PSX - which?
(2014-04-22, 20:54)hdmkv Wrote: NUC is better (I have both Celeron and i3 versions, both with OpenELEC). But, for price and ability to have Netflix, Amazon Prime and games, Fire TV makes a great secondary box. Not for dedicated home theater use.

I already have Apple TV 3 and Roku 2, so don't really need FTV as such, except for XBMC.

Is it just as easy to setup remote, navigate, etc in FTV as compared to Celeron NUC?

Thanks for your response.
(2014-04-22, 18:38)DJ B-Roll Wrote: Running SBMC works fine; however, when I installed the latest nightly of gotham separate from SPMC, I encounter an issue when trying to add the fusion source. It freezes and I have to quit xbmc to work. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there a way to fix it?

no illegal addon support here my friend
(2014-04-22, 21:02)squarecut1 Wrote: I already have Apple TV 3 and Roku 2, so don't really need FTV as such, except for XBMC.

Is it just as easy to setup remote, navigate, etc in FTV as compared to Celeron NUC?

Thanks for your response.

It is hard to get a feel for how easy it is to operate XBMC on AFTV without trying it out. There are couple of videos on Youtube that should give you some idea. It is a capable device and I would strongly suggest that you consider it, given the price point. I was considering a NUC, but it ends up costing lot more than an AFTV.

Amazon has hassle free returns, if you don't like it Smile
Been Following thread for while now. I have AFTV and have been using latest nightly gotham build from April 22nd. I have not seen it reported so i figured I will post. If it has apologies. I noticed that when I play SD or HD content time window on bottom does not show you where you are in tv show or film your watching. You can fast forward or rewind and you never know where you are in film according to time because its always at 00:00:00. Are you guys aware of this and if so is there an easy fix for it.

Thanks.
(2014-04-22, 20:49)squarecut1 Wrote: Guys, for those have used both, how does the XBMC on FTV compare to that on NUC?

- In terms of ease of setup (e.g. MCE remote).
- Performance.

I am new to XBMC and not looking to do anything heavy duty with it. Just trying to decide which hardware to go for.

Thank you.

Sold my NUC in favor of FTV because of remote friendly netflix/amazon and xbmc all in one box.
I have an i5 box with win7 and another with openelec. The intel boxes are more powerful and flexible, no doubt, but here are the negatives IMO:
- Cost of the os (if win7)
- Not as easy to load and search Amazon and Netflix
- Power and heat
- Not the stability of an appliance

While I really like the nuc, my main issue is relegating Fire TV to a secondary box. It really depends on your needs.
To me, the pluses of the fire TV box are:
- It has never crashed or hung on me once...solid as a rock
- Voice search on Amazon
- Very quick start times and great resolution on both Amazon and Netflix
- XBMC is new on this box but look what we have already
- If xbmc ever hangs or crashes it is very quick to restart with a force stop and re launch
- Small, quiet, cool, cheap, very low power
- Works well with mythtv live tv/pvr and playing online content on my NAS
- Very user friendly for non-techies

I will be keeping my nuc, but for me, this will hands down become my primary box
I just came across an application - Android ADB that may be useful for noobs. It provides a GUI for adb commands. I have not tried it myself, but sounds useful.

Along those lines, there is another tool ADBGUI. Take a look.
(2014-04-22, 21:57)PK21 Wrote: I have an i5 box with win7 and another with openelec. The intel boxes are more powerful and flexible, no doubt, but here are the negatives IMO:
- Cost of the os (if win7)
- Not as easy to load and search Amazon and Netflix
- Power and heat
- Not the stability of an appliance

While I really like the nuc, my main issue is relegating Fire TV to a secondary box. It really depends on your needs.
To me, the pluses of the fire TV box are:
- It has never crashed or hung on me once...solid as a rock
- Voice search on Amazon
- Very quick start times and great resolution on both Amazon and Netflix
- XBMC is new on this box but look what we have already
- If xbmc ever hangs or crashes it is very quick to restart with a force stop and re launch
- Small, quiet, cool, cheap, very low power
- Works well with mythtv live tv/pvr and playing online content on my NAS
- Very user friendly for non-techies

I will be keeping my nuc, but for me, this will hands down become my primary box

I had an i5 with steam big picture mode/xbmc. I used to use that but have also changed to the small simplified fire tv.
  • 117(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10