• 119(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-23, 02:15)thefrog Wrote:
(2014-04-23, 01:06)tennisbgc Wrote: he must own the 13% of vc-1 encoded blurays Smile

I actually pulled the MyVideos78.db from the FTV to answer this question for myself (and to share) now that I have checked each of the HighDef ones. I have 113 hdmv and 41 vc-1 and I absolutely adore my FTV. It down mixes the DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD audio to the Stereo that my TV accepts just fine.

I am sure it will play Casablanca eventually (BluRay VC-1)
actually they remastered it using mpeg-4 avc a couple years ago
(2014-04-23, 04:06)tennisbgc Wrote:
(2014-04-23, 02:15)thefrog Wrote:
(2014-04-23, 01:06)tennisbgc Wrote: he must own the 13% of vc-1 encoded blurays Smile

I actually pulled the MyVideos78.db from the FTV to answer this question for myself (and to share) now that I have checked each of the HighDef ones. I have 113 hdmv and 41 vc-1 and I absolutely adore my FTV. It down mixes the DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD audio to the Stereo that my TV accepts just fine.

I'm sure that'll make a difference to the disc (s)he already owns.
I ordered Casablanca in 2010. I have not ripped anything newer than about 2012 because I lacked the right device... This is looking like the right one... I will have a good excuse to upgrade my NAS and work through a few years of backlog. I am not yet without hope that VC-1 might not be in the FTVs future if Amazon will do it. I would Like to see accelerated MPEG2 because, when I had cable, all the HD channels were MPEG2; however, I canceled cable about a year ago. No idea what the OTA HD channels are and I don't have a PVR yet and am not currently planning one.

I did notice that BDs from in a series switched from VC-1 to AVC (think it was the Harry Potter Series).

Just put Gotham Beta 4 on and am hoping to see some stability improvements. I am also having fun poking around the device with adb... Placed the splash from a few posts ago.

Lots to do as this device gets a more stable XBMC... MySQL for shared DB, maybe figure out a keyboard solution from all the options folks are using... Wonder if the Blue Board will work like with the Ouya.
What remote controls are compatible with this?? Will the PS3 media remote work? (Not the gaming controller) Or the xbox 360 dvd remote?
(2014-04-23, 05:29)haikuginger Wrote:
(2014-04-23, 04:06)tennisbgc Wrote:
(2014-04-23, 02:15)thefrog Wrote: I actually pulled the MyVideos78.db from the FTV to answer this question for myself (and to share) now that I have checked each of the HighDef ones. I have 113 hdmv and 41 vc-1 and I absolutely adore my FTV. It down mixes the DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD audio to the Stereo that my TV accepts just fine.

I'm sure that'll make a difference to the disc (s)he already owns.

It will not make a difference 'right now'. Amazon probably paid to put VC-1 as supported in their spec list. They will likely get what they paid for eventually. It would be informative to know if other devices with the same SoC have hardware support for VC-1 and MPEG2. Could just be an oversight as to what was installed by the [Amazon] team, or even just some flags on boot up. Funny thing is, I paid for those license on RPi and audio was a problem, Ouya also didn't work well for me, and the Pivos XIOS DS also wouldn't work for my use case -- doesn't make them bad devices.

This device is further along in 20 days than anyone should expect -- I am pleased as punch.

This device has already replaced my PS3 for Amazon Video and Netflix... Has gone further for my with XBMC than other ARM SoC devices I have tried. It has a nice price point and a strong potential to be a HTPC.. It works for 70+% of my currently NASed BD ISOs and all my DVDs and I do not have to lug my laptop to the TV anymore.

Who knows where it will be by next year?
If it says it supports VC1 and doesn't support VC1, I foresee some legal liability and bad publicity for Amazon.

Never ever buy a tech product based on what the vendor says it is going to support tomorrow.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Just to comment on the MPEG2, it works great for recorded over the air 1080i 60 content, TS stream.
(2014-04-23, 07:07)nickr Wrote: If it says it supports VC1 and doesn't support VC1, I foresee some legal liability and bad publicity for Amazon.
Well, as I said, I suspect the FTV supports the simple and main profile of VC1 (aka WMV3) but not the advanced one, which is *commonly* known as VC1 and is used in bluray.
I would be interesting that someone tries to find such a WMV3 sample and test.

So Amazon is probably safe on the legal side if WMV3 is confirmed, but would be edgy regarding misleading its users in thinking they could watch their ripped VC1 bluray.
(2014-04-22, 14:30)sspectre Wrote:
(2014-04-22, 05:47)derrickrozay Wrote:
(2014-04-22, 04:09)sspectre Wrote: Do you mean IR remotes or the game controllers?

As I understand it, the wireless Xbox 360 game controller works if you have the USB module that connects an Xbox controller to a computer. The wired Xbox 360 controller works as well if I remember correctly. The PS3 game controller I'm not as sure about, but it's Bluetooth so there's a chance it works.

For any IR remote you'll need an IR adapter. Some Windows Media Center remotes are working and the Flirc adapter will work. For the Flirc you could use any IR remote but it requires setup on a computer first.

I meant IR remotes.

For example this Sony PS3 media remote works with other devices running XBMC. It's uses bluetooth I believe
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PlayStation-3...B000M17AVO

Or the xbox 360 media remote which works with the RPi
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Media-Rem...dia+remote

I'd prefer to use one of these over an MCE remote.

The Fire TV doesn't have a a built-in IR receiver, only Bluetooth. The PS3 remote, since it uses Bluetooth, may work but I'm not sure anyone has tried it. For the Xbox 360 remote you'll probably need to buy a Flirc. A Flirc will let you use any remote you want and appears as a keyboard to the Fire TV. You'll need to set it up on your computer first to tell it what to do when it receives each IR signal.

Thanks. Somebodys gotta have the PS3 BT remote to test with it.
Although feasible, using the PS3 BT remote on a "plain" android is a pain, because android forces you to enter a pin when pairing, while the remote does not accept any.
Now, as FTV uses a custom android, one may hope this has been fixed by Amazon...
I have a PS3 BT remote so if someone sends me a FTV I will test :-)

(2014-04-23, 08:59)Koying Wrote:
(2014-04-23, 07:07)nickr Wrote: If it says it supports VC1 and doesn't support VC1, I foresee some legal liability and bad publicity for Amazon.
Well, as I said, I suspect the FTV supports the simple and main profile of VC1 (aka WMV3) but not the advanced one, which is *commonly* known as VC1 and is used in bluray.
I would be interesting that someone tries to find such a WMV3 sample and test.

So Amazon is probably safe on the legal side if WMV3 is confirmed, but would be edgy regarding misleading its users in thinking they could watch their ripped VC1 bluray.
Actually I do remember you saying that, but finding it amongst 119 pages was unsuccessful.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If anyone wants a WMV3 sample get movie maker,
* drop a video into it,
* select file->save movie->for computer
* change save as type from H.264 to WMV (movie maker actually defaults to MP4 output these days)

The "for computer" preset will churn out a WMV3 video according to mediainfo but the other presets churn out WMV with advanced profile.
(2014-04-22, 11:05)MediaPi Wrote: the score your quoting is an 88% increase. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 8064 is a two generation old soc. I'm very surprised its competing with last/current generation SOCs. Even though it has a bigger power envelope, is it that fast?
Someone please verify the antutu score. Would be interested to know.

There are different series of the 8064, the AFTV uses a Snapdragon 600 series (2013) 8064 (either a APQ8064T or APQ8064M).

http://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/blog/...-processor

The links you posted to are for the Snapdragon S4 series 8064.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-04-23, 09:34)Koying Wrote: Although feasible, using the PS3 BT remote on a "plain" android is a pain, because android forces you to enter a pin when pairing, while the remote does not accept any.
Now, as FTV uses a custom android, one may hope this has been fixed by Amazon...

http://www.reddit.com/r/fireTV/comments/...4_working/

some comments there.

Also the 360 pads have been confirmed working as well if you have a windows usb dongle
(2014-04-22, 22:45)garvani Wrote:
(2014-04-22, 20:54)hdmkv Wrote: Fire TV makes a great secondary box. Not for dedicated home theater use.

Wow that's quite the statement. I think you will find a few people here that would argue that point. I for one have replaced my htpc with the firetv already, it may not be perfect but it does everything i need it to do (HD audio would seal the deal). Also at over a 60 watt saving while doing it!
Like you noted, no HD audio. Also, a few full BD rips ('The Dark Knight Rises' is one) stutter and have green pixellation/break-up. I have 3 Fire TV's, so not arguing its value. But, I'm sticking with NUC for my HT, and also because XBMC doesn't do full 3D (unless you have something like Windows and PowerDVD or TMT), a Mede8er X3D media player. Smile.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
  • 119(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10