• 137(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
When a video is hardware decoded (as I *think* mpeg2 is on FTV), XBMC does no deinterlacing.
Most decoders do this by default, quite strange it doesn't on FTV.
Installed amazon ota update, no impact it seems. This is good
are these newer builds ever going to allow audio passthough to receiver? I really don't understand the problem with this audio passthrough bullshit. it's getting tiresome. xbmc revolves around being the best media experience possible, yet they can't do something as simple as passing the audio to the receiver?

edit: also why the hell can't i install certain skins like xperience1080 with the latest gotham build...
Audio pass-through works for me. I think the only issue right now is HD audio.
(2014-04-30, 18:24)lolwatpear Wrote: are these newer builds ever going to allow audio passthough to receiver? I really don't understand the problem with this audio passthrough bullshit. it's getting tiresome. xbmc revolves around being the best media experience possible, yet they can't do something as simple as passing the audio to the receiver?

edit: also why the hell can't i install certain skins like xperience1080 with the latest gotham build...

Because Gotham isnt out yet. The skin makers have to update the skin. I dont know why you are complaining about software side loaded on a box not made for it. But it looks like pass-through is working anyway.
(2014-04-30, 18:24)lolwatpear Wrote: are these newer builds ever going to allow audio passthough to receiver? I really don't understand the problem with this audio passthrough bullshit. it's getting tiresome. xbmc revolves around being the best media experience possible, yet they can't do something as simple as passing the audio to the receiver?

If it's all so simple, why don't you do it yourself?

The people who develop XBMC do it completely on their own time, without remuneration. They've built an incredibly versatile piece of software that works across a broad spectrum of hardware platforms, and they continually work to improve it and make the experience more amazing. Your cost = 0.

Care to continue complaining?
(2014-04-30, 17:56)Koying Wrote: When a video is hardware decoded (as I *think* mpeg2 is on FTV), XBMC does no deinterlacing.

The Wiki indicates in the Known Issues that VC-1 and MPEG-2 are not hardware decoded on the Fire TV which might explain our results. Maybe it is just a question of the XBMC configuration to let it "know" that MPEG-2 is not hardware decoded?
(2014-04-30, 18:55)cncb Wrote:
(2014-04-30, 17:56)Koying Wrote: When a video is hardware decoded (as I *think* mpeg2 is on FTV), XBMC does no deinterlacing.

The Wiki indicates in the Known Issues that VC-1 and MPEG-2 are not hardware decoded on the Fire TV which might explain our results. Maybe it is just a question of the XBMC configuration to let it "know" that MPEG-2 is not hardware decoded?

Aren't both MPEG-2 and VC1 listed in the FTV specs as supported codecs? If so then Amazon needs to patch their firmware to support them.
Well, if mpeg2 is software, de-interlacing should be selectable.
Could someone post a log playing a 1080i mpeg2, please.
Talk about hot topic - 137 pages in less than a month. Nice to see XBMC already working on Amazon Fire TV, seems I'll be buying it pretty soon...
How to build ultimate XBMC HTPC for less than $200
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/7668...-less-than
(2014-04-30, 17:05)D3w4yne Wrote:
(2014-04-30, 14:58)cncb Wrote:
(2014-04-30, 07:58)nickr Wrote: lack of deinterlacing and other limitations of android.

So, no deinterlacing is inherent to Android? I take it then that playback of 1080i TV recordings will always be poor? I really had high hopes for this box, but will have to return it if this is the case.

So deinterlacing has been mentioned a few times in this thread but this is the first I heard someone say "lack of deinterlacing and other limitations of android".

Using XBMC on my Galaxy Note 3 I can deinterlace video, so I would have to assume that the statement is incorrect.

In Gotham the deinterlacing options are grayed out on my AFTV. I use XBMC and NPVR for all of my live TV viewing since I use an antenna. I'd hope that this would be enabled in a future version and I've been holding out. I have not tried the latest nightly yet but I will tonight just to be sure the issue still exists.

Dewayne

On my FTV running Gotham RC1 I can access deinterlacing settings from the video menu while Live TV is playing. I can set it to auto, on, off, along with associated options.

The picture looks very good - as good as any other videos - but I'm using NPVR with two Colossus capture cards hooked up to my cable boxes and the Colossus output h.264, not MPEG-2. From looking at Codecinfo it appears it's being decoded in hardware. I don't have any MPEG-2 videos to test but I'll see if I can dig one up if you want to compare notes.

If you are sending it an MPEG-2 stream see if you can access the deinterlace options directly from the video menu when it's playing and see what happens.

Lack of 24p support is really the only big knock against the AFTV for me, at least as far as my "main" XBMC box goes. Anyone who doesn't think it matters I invite to watch a true 24p source (BD rips are good for this) and notice the slight stuttering that occurs, particularly for fast-panning scenes. Avatar is a good movie to test this on if you have a decent encode. And of course lack of refresh change matters for people outside the US, or people in the US who watch a lot of overseas content (BBC shows and the like).

Not a deal killer but it's unfortunate because everything else about this device and it's price is really attractive. I don't know if 24p playback is something Amazon can add in a firmware update.
I'm using NPVR with an HD HomeRun Dual (HDHR3-US ) which is outputting MPEG-2.

During playback of live TV all of the deinterlacing options are grayed out and cannot be accessed.

I will try playback tonight and get a log.

If it can't be fixed though, your statement about your tuners that output h.264 could be a possible solution. I've been searching so hard for the "all in one holy grail box to rule them all" that I'd be willing to invest in new tuners if it fixed the one and only problem I am having with the AFTV.

It looks like for $150 I could pick up a HDTC-2US which will transcode to h.264.
(2014-04-30, 19:43)Koying Wrote: Well, if mpeg2 is software, de-interlacing should be selectable.
Could someone post a log playing a 1080i mpeg2, please.

Here's a log someone posted from 4-16.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1683798
As I see it, the only benefits to adding XBMC to the Amazon store is
1) easier install
2) added to homescreen

So obviously a crippled version added to the store is a terrible idea. But has anybody worked on an unofficial XBMC homescreen launcher? A basic app that is in the Amazon store and can be added to the mainscreen. At launch it would check if XBMC is sideloaded. If it is, it will launch XBMC. If it's not, it would display instructions on how to sideload. Seems like a pretty simple solution that I haven't seen be mentioned yet.

I don't have a AFTV yet, because I'm holding out to see what Android TV looks like. But I'd be a bit more interested in AFTV if we could get XBMC onto the homescreen.

EDIT - I just saw I joined in Aug 2009 and apparently this is my first post. That has to be some kind of record.
(2014-04-30, 20:17)D3w4yne Wrote: I'm using NPVR with an HD HomeRun Dual (HDHR3-US ) which is outputting MPEG-2.

During playback of live TV all of the deinterlacing options are grayed out and cannot be accessed.

I will try playback tonight and get a log.

If it can't be fixed though, your statement about your tuners that output h.264 could be a possible solution. I've been searching so hard for the "all in one holy grail box to rule them all" that I'd be willing to invest in new tuners if it fixed the one and only problem I am having with the AFTV.

It looks like for $150 I could pick up a HDTC-2US which will transcode to h.264.

Well, LiveTV works really well for me on the AFTV - using and NPVR 3.29 with two Hauppauge capture cards as the backend, set to 9mb constant bitrate. Looks good, channel changes are fast - in fact I'd say the AFTV handles it just as well as my NUC does. So if you can get a tuner that outputs h.264 in hardware like the Colossus capture cards do then you are probably in luck.

I'm using Eminence, btw, which is a really nice WIP Skin for Gotham and has the best EPG I've seen. Works great on the AFTV and looks amazing. It's still WIP, so you might run in to a bug or two and there are some minor features (music widgets, etc) not implemented yet, but I have no issues running it on all my XBMC boxes day to day.
  • 137(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10