• 139(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
Here's a log of my unit playing live TV:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=190101

As I stated before, the deinterlacing options are grayed out and inaccessible.

This was done using the latest nightly (4/29)
OK,

Updated to Gotham RC1 (April 27th Build)

I re-played one of my videos that had problems before. It played much better, but I did find one location that had a 'glitch'. I have a video and a logfile:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=190122

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK5TiehvnxA

Source is a BD ISO from a NAS over SMB. I do not suspect there is a problem with the BD ISO, but I am unable to rule it out.
(2014-04-30, 23:38)tential Wrote: Also
"As I see it, the only benefits to adding XBMC to the Amazon store is
1) easier install
2) added to homescreen"

You want to dedicate someone to creating a stripped down version of XBMC sot that the install process is EASIER and so that it's on the homescreen?
This is an open source project, you don't have 1000s of devs, you have limited amounts of resources. If you were to take a vote of all XBMC users as to whether they wanted someone to work on a stripped down version of XBMC, vs adding new features, fixing bugs, and developing the platforms we alreayd have 95% of users would say they'd rather have other things be worked on. So it's not in the best interest of the whole community, so it's not going to happen.
Not to mention when google makes their box are we going to then have a stripped down google play edition as well? Maybe one for iOS as well? Lots of dev time dedicated to stripping down and supporting a stripped down version just doesn't seem worth it.
Please read the next sentence in my post where I agreed with you...

I don't want to see XBMC in the store, but I'd like to see it on the homescreen.
(2014-05-01, 04:38)nuentes Wrote: I don't want to see XBMC in the store, but I'd like to see it on the homescreen.

Speaking of that... I have a basic startup app working. It was really simple once I got Eclipse and ADT set up correctly. Right now, all it does is start SPMC since that's what I have installed on my Fire TV. But what I'd like it to do is have it check if XBMC (any of the versions currently recommended for the Fire TV) is installed, then:
  • if no versions of XMBC are detected, display a message directing them to the wiki page
  • if one version is installed, automatically start XBMC
  • if more than one version is installed, ask the user which one to launch, with the option to remember the choice and start that version automatically
It's not difficult at all from a basic programming standpoint. I just need to reacquaint myself with Java and read up a bit more on how Android handles the GUI elements.

Once I get that working, I'll submit the app to the Amazon App Store. I looked over Amazon's content guidelines and didn't see anything that would prevent it from being accepted, since it's really not doing anything that the various launchers don't (or couldn't) do. And really, it should be a lot more preferable to Amazon from a business standpoint than the various launchers in the App Store, since the entire purpose of my app is to make the FireTV interface more pleasant to use for XBMC users rather than replace it.

If the app is accepted in the App Store, then the problem's solved. We'll still have to side-load XBMC onto the Fire TV, but we'll be able to access it from the FireTV's Apps menu.
Nice, very curious if that will work. +1 for your effort!
(2014-05-01, 08:27)who.is.matt Wrote: Speaking of that... I have a basic startup app working. It was really simple once I got Eclipse and ADT set up correctly. Right now, all it does is start SPMC since that's what I have installed on my Fire TV. But what I'd like it to do is have it check if XBMC (any of the versions currently recommended for the Fire TV) is installed, then:
Pretty good idea. That could be extended to, e.g. keep xbmc up-to-date on gplay devices.
Please make it open-source and publish it on github, so that other can participate/enrich.
How to transfer file.zip from pc to Fire tv. I really want to add add-ons
I tried "adb push.." But got unlucky, i cant see file zipn in anywhere. Pls teach me
I'm using windows 8 on my desktop. What I do is place the zip file in the folder Public/downloads on my pc. Then go to System, Adons, Install from zip, browse, Windows network (smb), Workgroup, "MyServerName", Users, Public, Downloads. and install from there.

There's no reason to push the zip to the device as long as it's in a shared directory.
(2014-05-01, 08:27)who.is.matt Wrote: the entire purpose of my app is to make the FireTV interface more pleasant to use for XBMC users rather than replace it.

That's an excellent point. I think a lot of people here bought the box for XBMC and XBMC alone, and forget that this may not be what the typical user/household wants. I don't believe Amazon would have any issue with this app, simply because they really don't care if we use XBMC or not. The only reason XBMC will never be in the store is because of basic licensing. If the XBMC team had the licensing, Amazon would almost certainly approve the app. They have no issue with us sideloading XBMC. And I doubt they would ever disable/cripple sideloading because the whole purpose of that is to make it easy for devs to build/test apps, which then go in the Amazon store, which drive sales in the store, and of the device itself.

I think, if the app detects that XBMC is not installed, it should first display a message saying that XBMC was not found, and then ask permission to redirect to the Wiki page. An immediate redirect might confuse some users.

Also, as Koying mentioned, if automatic updating of various versions of XBMC could be enabled/disabled, that would definitely be a nice feature. I'm not sure how you would allow users to edit app settings, since opening the app itself will actually open XBMC. Sounds like open sourcing this may be the way to go.
(2014-05-01, 08:27)who.is.matt Wrote:
(2014-05-01, 04:38)nuentes Wrote: I don't want to see XBMC in the store, but I'd like to see it on the homescreen.

Speaking of that... I have a basic startup app working. It was really simple once I got Eclipse and ADT set up correctly. Right now, all it does is start SPMC since that's what I have installed on my Fire TV. But what I'd like it to do is have it check if XBMC (any of the versions currently recommended for the Fire TV) is installed, then:
  • if no versions of XMBC are detected, display a message directing them to the wiki page
  • if more than one version is installed, ask the user which one to launch, with the option to remember the choice and start that version automatically
It's not difficult at all from a basic programming standpoint. I just need to reacquaint myself with Java and read up a bit more on how Android handles the GUI elements.

Once I get that working, I'll submit the app to the Amazon App Store. I looked over Amazon's content guidelines and didn't see anything that would prevent it from being accepted, since it's really not doing anything that the various launchers don't (or couldn't) do. And really, it should be a lot more preferable to Amazon from a business standpoint than the various launchers in the App Store, since the entire purpose of my app is to make the FireTV interface more pleasant to use for XBMC users rather than replace it.

If the app is accepted in the App Store, then the problem's solved. We'll still have to side-load XBMC onto the Fire TV, but we'll be able to access it from the FireTV's Apps menu.
Brilliant, this is a great solution. I thought someone would come up with a better idea than my half baked stripped down xbmc option. Let us know the progress on this as I think this is a step in the right direction. Increasing WAF is always a top priority... if the boss isn't happy, no one is happy.
mentioning of redirect to wiki, i didnt notice but is there actually a browser app that comes with fire tv? I dont think there is. And for users who have sideloaded browser, i dont think they need to be redirected on where to get xbmc, all they prob. need is "You need XBMC sideloaded, from link". So, what im saying is there is no need for extra effort in redirecting users to wiki. But then, im not sure if there is actual browser with fire tv.
(2014-05-01, 15:57)yocoldrain Wrote: mentioning of redirect to wiki, i didnt notice but is there actually a browser app that comes with fire tv? I dont think there is. And for users who have sideloaded browser, i dont think they need to be redirected on where to get xbmc, all they prob. need is "You need XBMC sideloaded, from link". So, what im saying is there is no need for extra effort in redirecting users to wiki. But then, im not sure if there is actual browser with fire tv.

You make a good point. Maybe something like a QR code that links to the wiki that can easily be accessed using another device?
On the Wiki ( http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ama..._TV#Gotham ) it says that MediaCodec should be 'off' for Gotham. Is this still accurate? I have had it 'on' for my tests and I am wondering if this is a source of occasional problems.

If it is not accurate, I could update the wiki.
(2014-05-01, 15:57)yocoldrain Wrote: mentioning of redirect to wiki, i didnt notice but is there actually a browser app that comes with fire tv? I dont think there is. And for users who have sideloaded browser, i dont think they need to be redirected on where to get xbmc, all they prob. need is "You need XBMC sideloaded, from link". So, what im saying is there is no need for extra effort in redirecting users to wiki. But then, im not sure if there is actual browser with fire tv.

The Fire TV does not have a browser preloaded.
(2014-05-01, 08:27)who.is.matt Wrote:

It's not that I don't like the idea - I do like it. I wish you all the luck in the world.

But an app who's sole purpose is to provide "official" (homescreen) looking access to a sideloaded app is something I see them having problems with. I've dealt with Apple, Google, and Amazon stores (and Microsoft, but that one will take literally anything) and while Amazon is by far the easiest to deal with I can see them having problems with this.

Not that I don't want it to succeed. I hope it does. Just be wary going in - maybe think of some other things the app could do, so it's not *just* about access/updating a sideloaded app?
  • 139(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10