• 143(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-05-03, 03:13)ncube2 Wrote: Does OpenElec version of XBMC work on AFTV.

No. There is no root yet for Fire TV.
(2014-05-03, 03:13)ncube2 Wrote: Does OpenElec version of XBMC work on AFTV.

OpenELEC is a completely different thing. XBMC on FireTV is accomplished by installing an Android app on the existing firmware. OpenELEC, if possible, would be entirely new firmware. You should ask if that's something they're working on over at http://www.openelec.tv/.
Completely offfff topic here in my opinion....
Let me start by saying that I am absolutely amazed at how much work has been done for this device in such a short amount of time. I come to the FTV from a Rpi. I love how snappy everything is in the menus compared to the Rpi. I have an external drive with my movies on it that I would like to access from the FTV. As a workaround for not being able to use the usb port I plugged the drive into my Linksys E3000 router. What is the best method to be able to view my content on the FTV? I did get it to see the drive by setting it up as UPnP, but I can't seem to get it to scrape for metadata. At this point all I have is a list of folders with video files inside and it will show a video cover thumbnail once I open the video folder. Any ideas on making it prettier?
(2014-05-03, 04:13)Bundy Wrote: Let me start by saying that I am absolutely amazed at how much work has been done for this device in such a short amount of time. I come to the FTV from a Rpi. I love how snappy everything is in the menus compared to the Rpi. I have an external drive with my movies on it that I would like to access from the FTV. As a workaround for not being able to use the usb port I plugged the drive into my Linksys E3000 router. What is the best method to be able to view my content on the FTV? I did get it to see the drive by setting it up as UPnP, but I can't seem to get it to scrape for metadata. At this point all I have is a list of folders with video files inside and it will show a video cover thumbnail once I open the video folder. Any ideas on making it prettier?

This isn't a Fire TV specific question, but it's an easy enough answer. Make sure that SMB (or a similar suitable method such as NFS) is enabled on the router for the NAS (network attached storage), then add the NAS as a source in XBMC using that method.
(2014-05-03, 02:02)LazerBlue Wrote:
(2014-05-03, 00:23)PK21 Wrote:
(2014-05-02, 18:36)Methanoid Wrote: NOTHING to do with FireTV post? Sleepy

Actually, the question was about using the xbmc remote specifically on Fire TV,

Which probably should belong on the iOS remote section of the forum.

If it wasnt for the fact that I was asking the question only as related to FTV.
I had no problems with other system types.
(2014-05-03, 04:39)who.is.matt Wrote:
(2014-05-03, 04:13)Bundy Wrote: Let me start by saying that I am absolutely amazed at how much work has been done for this device in such a short amount of time. I come to the FTV from a Rpi. I love how snappy everything is in the menus compared to the Rpi. I have an external drive with my movies on it that I would like to access from the FTV. As a workaround for not being able to use the usb port I plugged the drive into my Linksys E3000 router. What is the best method to be able to view my content on the FTV? I did get it to see the drive by setting it up as UPnP, but I can't seem to get it to scrape for metadata. At this point all I have is a list of folders with video files inside and it will show a video cover thumbnail once I open the video folder. Any ideas on making it prettier?

This isn't a Fire TV specific question, but it's an easy enough answer. Make sure that SMB (or a similar suitable method such as NFS) is enabled on the router for the NAS (network attached storage), then add the NAS as a source in XBMC using that method.

I appreciate your timely response. However, I had already done this as explained in my first post. I am trying to find out if anyone has had any success in importing a library basically, so as to benefit from the metadata and make it look nice instead of a list of folders.
(2014-05-03, 05:45)Bundy Wrote:

I appreciate your timely response. However, I had already done this as explained in my first post. I am trying to find out if anyone has had any success in importing a library basically, so as to benefit from the metadata and make it look nice instead of a list of folders.

FYI, I was able to find help by searching other threads. Thank you.
(2014-05-03, 05:45)Bundy Wrote:

Actually, you said that you're sharing the NAS using UPnP. I said to share the NAS using SMB or NFS. UPnP doesn't provide the direct access to media that XBMC needs to build a media library.
I'm a total newbie here who just stumbled onto XBMC while researching the Amazon Fire. I obviously have a lot to learn!

Here's what I don't get: If XBMC is installed on the Amazon Fire box, then how is it supposed to access my media library that is on my PC? Or...does it?

If it does do that, then how do you network that up?

Hopefully I'm not asking a question that requires a manual-sized answer!

Thanks.
(2014-05-03, 14:48)Bluewave Wrote: I'm a total newbie here who just stumbled onto XBMC while researching the Amazon Fire. I obviously have a lot to learn!

Here's what I don't get: If XBMC is installed on the Amazon Fire box, then how is it supposed to access my media library that is on my PC? Or...does it?

If it does do that, then how do you network that up?

Hopefully I'm not asking a question that requires a manual-sized answer!

Thanks.
You have some reading to do.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
Yes...obviously, I realize that. I have been looking at the manual, but I find nothing so far that answers my very specific question.

Is anyone else able to offer an answer that is actually useful?

I'm not asking for a manual on XBMC -- I'm just asking -- first -- if it is possible for XBMC that is installed on a Fire box to access a PC's multimedia library. I assume that that would be through some sort of wireless networking from Fire to PC.

Then, if that answer is affirmative, maybe someone can link me to -- here's a novel idea -- some SPECIFIC information about it, rather than just dumping me out to the main Wiki page.

Is that asking too much?
(2014-05-03, 15:07)Bluewave Wrote: Yes...obviously, I realize that. I have been looking at the manual, but I find nothing so far that answers my very specific question.

I'm not asking for a manual on XBMC -- I'm just asking -- first -- if it is possible for XBMC that is installed on a Fire box to access a PC's multimedia library. I assume that that would be through some sort of wireless networking from Fire to PC.

Then, if that answer is affirmative, maybe someone can link me to -- here's a novel idea -- some SPECIFIC information about it, rather than just dumping me out to the main Wiki page.

Is that asking too much?

First Q: yes, possible through multiple netwerk protocols.

2nd Q: invest some time and read the wiki to find the settings for your settup, It will be worth it!
(2014-05-03, 15:07)Bluewave Wrote: Yes...obviously, I realize that. I have been looking at the manual, but I find nothing so far that answers my very specific question.

Is that asking too much?

This isn't really a Fire tv specific question so our doesn't really belong here. Sharing your files from your PC can be done but setting it up depends on your OS.
Here is a better start in the wiki http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=File_sharing
Also if your on Windows, maybe try Google searching how to share a drive or folders to networked devices. It's not too hard to setup if you find a how to.
You could search in this forum, but I think you'll have a better chance doing a general Google search to first get your computer setup then use these forums and wiki if you have difficulty getting xbmc to see the share. That info should be found under the Android sub section.
I'm looking at this:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV
and it has adb commands for copying files back and forth between the PC and Fire. (I don't really know why I'd want to do that.)
But it doesn't say anything about how they are supposed to talk to one another in the first place. My PC is in the next room, not hooked up to my entertainment center. Can the Fire with XBMC access it and its files, for streaming? How?

@LazerBlue: Perhaps I am not explaining this correctly.

I'd say that my question IS Fire-specific, because that would be the device that is running XBMC. If I have a Fire that is running XBMC -- rather than running XBMC on my PC -- then can the Fire that is running XBMC access the files on my PC (such as my music library)? That is the question, and I would say that is absolutely Fire-specific.
  • 143(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10