• 161(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-05-09, 03:33)D3w4yne Wrote: I'll watch some TV for a while and see if it looks any better. Was 100% getting horizontal lines a couple weeks ago.

Still getting horizontal lines and "shimmering" here.

(2014-05-09, 13:34)Tinwarble Wrote: I've checked with the technical team's response to the query and see that currently, VC-1 is not supported on Fire TV. I'm sorry for any disappointment.

Funny, then why is it listed in the main Fire TV specs under "Content Formats Supported"?
I have a question about the keymapping. On the appletv, if you held down the enter/middle button, xbmc would scrape the movie information. I'm trying to find how to add that function to the remote. Does anyone know how to do that? If you press the.. button next to the home button, you get a context menu, but there's no scraping option there.
(2014-05-09, 13:34)Tinwarble Wrote: OK, so I finally heard back from Amazon support concerning VC-1, and here's the response I received.

Quote:Hello,

I'm sorry for the trouble you've had.

We are sorry for the delay this has taken in getting back to you regarding your query.

I've checked with the technical team's response to the query and see that currently, VC-1 is not supported on Fire TV. I'm sorry for any disappointment.

You can check the external specification of supported media formats here:

https://developer.amazon.com/appsandserv.../docs/medi...

I regret any misinformation. Amazon Fire TV is constantly developing on its content and compatibility. We are increasing our selection, and the features unavailable now may become available in the future.

Customer feedback like yours is very important in helping us continue to improve the Amazon Fire TV experience. I've forwarded your message to our development team for consideration as we make further improvements.

I would suggest that anyone needing or wanting VC-1 decoding to contact Amazon since the more people that request it the more likely it is that they might implement it.

Why would they though? Seriously. It's a box they sell at a slight loss to get in to people's living rooms to sell more Amazon content. Why would they ever care about VC-1 support? They're never going to stream or offer anything for download in that format, and they have to pay a small license fee per box sold. That some users sideload a third party program that can play *cough* ripped media encoded that way and therefore would like hardware support is not a concern for them.

I mean, it sucks, especially because it looks like they made a mistake in listing it as supported, but it's not that big a deal, unless you happen to have a ton of media encoded in VC-1 in which case this isn't the box for you. Either that or start reencoding.
(2014-05-09, 15:32)jnickell100 Wrote:
(2014-05-09, 07:15)ilovemymac Wrote: Anyone running Gotham 1 on here yet? In still using rc1 someone reported some bugs in the full release so was holding off

I've had Gotham for a couple days. The only problem I've come across is in mashup, nhl streams. They'll play for 5 minutes and stall out. I've narrowed it down to the aftv because my htpc works perfectly.

i believe this is an off topic issue that shouldnt be discussed here.. but i can confirm those streams work fine here for the whole game on fireTV (4500kbs)
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2014-05-09, 12:55)alienkidmj12 Wrote: i managed to get latest gotham r13 installed on my fire tv box, only problem, it appears to crash when i click on the programs link at the bottom, takes me back to the basic amazon UI.
I noticed that first when I changed to the Aeon MQ5 skin (gotham r13 build). I guess I hadn't actually clicked the Programs link in the default Confluence skin (just added shortcuts to the ones I use). It seems that whatever the default behavior of clicking Programs is causing the issue. In the Aeon MQ5 skin I was able to change the behavior of the link to launch Program addons (what I expected/wanted it to do in the first place).

I don't know if this issue is present in Confluence or what skin you are using, but this is how I solved it in the Aeon MQ5 skin.
Confluence works as it should. The issue must be with other skins.
(2014-05-09, 00:21)xiaNaix Wrote: Instead of incessantly spamming this thread about an "official" Amazon app store version of XBMC (which the developers already said WILL NOT HAPPEN) why don't you just start bothering Amazon about allowing sideloaded apps on the home screen? Problem solved.

Nothing is "solved", neither of what you said will ever happen.
And nobody is bothering anyone about anything, the guy (whoismatt) has already put in his own time to packaging an XBMC launcher and submitting it to Amazon. Granted the hopes of it getting into the store are pretty slim, but it is the best hope we have of getting xbmc onto the home screen. Honestly I don't understand all the negativity in this, we should be grateful someone took the effort in trying and just hope for the best.
(2014-05-09, 03:22)corin99 Wrote: MPEG2 plays great for me. I'm using Gotham RC1 and playing 1080i/720p OTA recordings using ServerWMC/wmc.pvr. Deinterlacing is grayed out, but the video looks fine.

On my pc I only deinterlacing if I select it. It's not grayed out and I thought I had hardware decoding.

Same with my phone actually. I had to select deinterlace.
Am I skipping a step somewhere?
(2014-05-09, 00:24)tential Wrote:
Quote:
(2014-05-09, 00:17)who.is.matt Wrote: To gain a .01% additional market share? XBMC doesn't have enough users to justify Amazon going out of their way to appease XBMC useres. XBMC devs will have to go out of their way to get XBMC launchers/XBMC apps in the Amazon store and XBMC devs have already expressed 0 interest in doing so.

Amazon doesn't have to lift a finger. And neither do the XBMC developers. Amazon simply has to live up to its claim that the Fire TV has an "open ecosystem" (which was one of the points raised in the press conference that introduced the Fire TV). Anyone can submit an app to the App Store, and as long as an app submitted to the App Store doesn't violate the posted guidelines and restrictions, it should be accepted, right? That's what an "open ecosystem" means. If XBMC remote apps are accepted into the App Store (and there were 3 of them the last time I checked, including the official remote app), why wouldn't something like a launcher for sideloaded versions of XBMC? Neither violates any of the App Store guidelines or restrictions.

Amazon doesn't have to actively support XBMC on the Fire TV. It just doesn't have to actively oppose it.

You're assuming that a press statement = what companies actually do. I'm sure if you closely follow tech companies you'll realize that press statements and press slides are a complete joke.

You realize right that if Amazon truly wanted an "open ecosystem" then they wouldn't make you sideload apps. You could just add them if you wanted. They added that level of complexity on an "open ecosystem" box.

Either way though, this has been discussed so many times and the end result is always the same. XBMC team doesn't have any interest in dealing with appstores.

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between "sideload" and "just add"? How can you get anymore "just add" than "adb install" on any android system?
So i got everything all set up per the wiki, running gotham 13 ...

All my HD content is at 24hz, so when I play back any movie it gets JERKY (SHUTTERS) every few seconds. Its hard wired so its not a wifi issue.

Same content plays Perfect on XBMC via HTPC
and near perfect on PLEX over wifi via chromecast

But for some reason this AFTV box just shutters...

Any help?? I'm really close to my 30day return.

Thanks,
Nathan
hi,
is there a way to get Fire Tv to display movies and TV shows on full screen?

i am getting black bar on the top and bottom.
i have set the "Allowed error in aspect ratio to minimize black bar s" to 20%
and display 4:3 video as "stretch 16:9"

i don't see the same issue on my HTPC

thax
kamla
(2014-05-09, 18:18)nathan909 Wrote: So i got everything all set up per the wiki, running gotham 13 ...

All my HD content is at 24hz, so when I play back any movie it gets JERKY (SHUTTERS) every few seconds. Its hard wired so its not a wifi issue.

Thanks,
Nathan

Have you already rebooted your ATVF box?
(2014-05-09, 19:04)toddhutch Wrote:
(2014-05-09, 18:18)nathan909 Wrote: So i got everything all set up per the wiki, running gotham 13 ...

Thanks,
Nathan

You can reboot by selecting the SELECT button and the PLAY button for 5 seconds. Its from the Wiki
(2014-05-09, 19:04)toddhutch Wrote:

Thanks,
Nathan

Also, did you disable Media Codec acceleration, as per the wiki? Only LibStageFright is currently supported on the FTV.
MediaCodec works for me Smile
  • 161(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10