• 171(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-05-13, 15:05)3rob3 Wrote: From what I understand, an MCE receiver and remote will work while in XBMC. But will it also work in the Fire OS? Can it totally replace the Fire's remote functionality wise (except for power on I suppose)?

Reason I ask is my MCE remote (Microsoft one) has programmable volume +/-, and TV power.
Not trying to be annoying, but also don't want this question to be lost in the endless VC1/MKV repeats. Anyone know?
(2014-05-14, 05:02)3rob3 Wrote:
(2014-05-13, 15:05)3rob3 Wrote: From what I understand, an MCE receiver and remote will work while in XBMC. But will it also work in the Fire OS? Can it totally replace the Fire's remote functionality wise (except for power on I suppose)?

Reason I ask is my MCE remote (Microsoft one) has programmable volume +/-, and TV power.
Not trying to be annoying, but also don't want this question to be lost in the endless VC1/MKV repeats. Anyone know?

I think the reason you haven't gotten an answer is that not too many are using an IR USB receiver with the FTV.

(2014-05-14, 03:55)Ned Scott Wrote: If the issue is at Amazon's level where Amazon needs to fix something, then they'll probably fix it regardless of what file container it is in. The way this hardware decoding stuff works is that things at that level don't care what the file container is. This is just a guess, but if the file container is making a difference then it's probably an XBMC level issue and needs to be fixed there. Amazon never even needs to know you play MKVs.

That being said, if someone could upload a sample file (or point out one that might have already been posted, if I missed it) that demonstrates this issue, I would be your new best friend. I'm attempting to collect various test files in general, plus I'm interested in the progress of this issue directly.

Ned,

I'll PM this too you as well but here's a short sample clip that you (and others) can use to verify the problem;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9dufdc1vdm07s...29-001.mkv

There's already a bug report open on this problem you can see the link to the bug report 1 or 2 pages back.
(2014-05-14, 03:55)Ned Scott Wrote: If the issue is at Amazon's level where Amazon needs to fix something, then they'll probably fix it regardless of what file container it is in. The way this hardware decoding stuff works is that things at that level don't care what the file container is. This is just a guess, but if the file container is making a difference then it's probably an XBMC level issue and needs to be fixed there. Amazon never even needs to know you play MKVs.

That being said, if someone could upload a sample file (or point out one that might have already been posted, if I missed it) that demonstrates this issue, I would be your new best friend. I'm attempting to collect various test files in general, plus I'm interested in the progress of this issue directly.

Agreed, I was not even trying to say that the issue was on Amazons side only that the issue was not specific to XBMC since MX Player exhibits the same issue.

But here's a sample file for you: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gygv638k6cwj0m...01-001.mkv

(2014-05-14, 04:59)MrCrispy Wrote: The industry as a general rule has decided not to support the mkv container, because they assume, rightly or wrongly, that most media in that format comes from you know where. Nothing supports mkv - Ps3, Xbox, Chromecast, any media player etc. Put the same file in a mp4 container and all of them will play it. Its just a sad state of affairs.

That's not true, there are devices that do and have supported mkv. Such as every version of WDTV Live players (which is designed more specifically for playing local media). Those devices that you mention don't support it (although I think you may be wrong about the Chromecast) because they are designed with very limited support and are not meant to be used as local streamers, with the exception of personal media (video camera, phone, tablet, etc.) which are usually mp4, avi, etc.. Just like most TV's don't support mkv either, because most rely on UPnP/DLNA streaming and are designed for the same personal media, but nothing to do with the fact that they don't want to support mkv because they think people will be playing pirated material.

There is nothing specific that makes mkv a "pirated material" specific container. Pirated material comes in all types of containers, including mp4.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-05-14, 04:56)Doomsday01 Wrote:
(2014-05-14, 01:11)deshwasi Wrote: can someone point to the latest/greatest specific build that they have been using for at least couple days and that is reasonably stable? does the remote work in the virtual keyboard in any build? I tried the Helix nightly and gets stuck in bunch of places and virtual keyboard doesnt work.

If you have the game controller or a compatible one paired, You can use the game controller hats to move around in the virtual keyboard.
Haven't installed Helix yet, but does it have the "Remote Sends Keyboard Presses" option? That's what you need to set in Frodo and Gotham to get the remote to work with the virtual keyboard.
Is there a gotham version that works?
(2014-05-14, 01:11)deshwasi Wrote: can someone point to the latest/greatest specific build that they have been using for at least couple days and that is reasonably stable? does the remote work in the virtual keyboard in any build? I tried the Helix nightly and gets stuck in bunch of places and virtual keyboard doesnt work.

(2014-05-14, 09:58)alon24 Wrote: Is there a gotham version that works?

Yes, http://xbmc.org/download/ these are the Gotham stable builds.

I wouldn't use any of the Helix builds yet anyway unless you are just wanting to test. Helix is still in alpha and you shouldn't expect those builds to be anywhere near stable yet.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-05-14, 09:52)Fgzp513061 Wrote: Amazon Fire TV XBMC version that works!! - YouTube for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHL42krl7IA

Yes, Ouya/SPMC were one of the first working versions. Gotham supercedes them now, however as it contains fixes for the Fire TV.

(2014-05-14, 05:02)3rob3 Wrote:

There are some around here using an MCE remote. I'm not sure how well it works in the Fire TV interface, however.
Hi,
I'm trying to add my router's usb connection to Fire tv's xbmc.

In my desktop browser I write \\bezeq\bezeq to see the share. After I type this, the address chances to file://///bezeq/bezeq/.

How can I add this? tried smb, nfs and few other without success.
thx
You need to use the IP address of your router to access the USB drive instead of the device name (bezeq).
(2014-05-13, 23:52)hdmkv Wrote: BD titles ripped 1:1 via MakeMKV (except used ClownBD for TDKR) that exhibit the green pixellation/strobing issue on XBMC are:
[SNIP]

Same titles muxed inside M2TS container play just fine.

I can see now that I missed something in the original poster's configuration. I was thinking 1:1 ISO files (my erroneous conflation). So the use case does not apply to me as I use ISO files to play from. I like to backup everything about my media, so I am not using the MKV format. I hope to use Blu Ray menus -- now that this is starting to become possible.

Having been told that re-encoding my entire library myself, I am not suggesting that this is the solution for @voip-ninja at this time. Things improve over time, but when you are facing a 'return window' for the device, I would have to return it if I were him.

Since I have had a few devices that do not meet _my_ use case, I can tell you that looking at the devices laying useless on a shelf can make you feel sad. I have been known to repurpose them as gifts for folks I know who's use-case they satisfy. (Roku & WD TV Live+ come to mind)
(2014-05-14, 17:15)underworld123 Wrote: You need to use the IP address of your router to access the USB drive instead of the device name (bezeq).

Thanks.
(2014-05-14, 17:22)thefrog Wrote: I can see now that I missed something in the original poster's configuration. I was thinking 1:1 ISO files (my erroneous conflation). So the use case does not apply to me as I use ISO files to play from. I like to backup everything about my media, so I am not using the MKV format. I hope to use Blu Ray menus -- now that this is starting to become possible.

Having been told that re-encoding my entire library myself, I am not suggesting that this is the solution for @voip-ninja at this time. Things improve over time, but when you are facing a 'return window' for the device, I would have to return it if I were him.

Since I have had a few devices that do not meet _my_ use case, I can tell you that looking at the devices laying useless on a shelf can make you feel sad. I have been known to repurpose them as gifts for folks I know who's use-case they satisfy. (Roku & WD TV Live+ come to mind)

I think you've hit it exactly right here. Great thought the firetv is, it doesnt meet everyone's requirements for XBMC. Some things may be fixable, some will not. If those things are important to you, its probably better just using another platform that already does what you need. Keeping using technology in the hopes that it will one day be 'fixed' to do what you need it to do now can be a very futile pursuit.
(2014-05-14, 18:09)Apothis Wrote:
(2014-05-14, 17:22)thefrog Wrote: I can see now that I missed something in the original poster's configuration. I was thinking 1:1 ISO files (my erroneous conflation). So the use case does not apply to me as I use ISO files to play from. I like to backup everything about my media, so I am not using the MKV format. I hope to use Blu Ray menus -- now that this is starting to become possible.

I think you've hit it exactly right here. Great thought the firetv is, it doesnt meet everyone's requirements for XBMC. Some things may be fixable, some will not. If those things are important to you, its probably better just using another platform that already does what you need. Keeping using technology in the hopes that it will one day be 'fixed' to do what you need it to do now can be a very futile pursuit.

Yeah, I plugged my 2 year old POS Boxee Box back in and everything works fine other than Boxee's own issues. FTV is a neat device, just not ready for my uses yet. I'll see if my wife wants to use it at her office.
(2014-05-09, 22:05)kalikid021 Wrote: After switching to Gotham from Frodo, I am seeing audio delay issues, and it's not of the kind in which I can set a global audio sync change. Some videos are need adjustment to the negative direction, and others to the positive direction. Another thing I have noticed is that I have no ability to make settings changes to hardware/software decoding, or codec. The settings are greyed out, in both versions.

Any advice?
Anyone else has xbmc crashing while trying to play a movie?
I have the Gotham 13 final installed and whenever I stream a movie from my pc or router, after a few second, before the movie starts playing, xbmc crushes and goes to he fire tv home.

Any ideas?

P.s. Noticed that some files do work, but it takes forever to load(700mb) and keeps buffering.
  • 171(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10