• 173(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-05-14, 23:53)tret Wrote: Long thread, apologize in advance if this has been covered.

I'm using the Complete Bypass Llama profile from the Fire TV XBMC wiki and it works great except.... If I press "Home" 3-4 times in a row Llama stops re-launching XBMC. I can browse around the Fire TV UI and press Home a bunch of times and no XBMC. If I scroll down to System and start browsing through the available launchers, XBMC is launched.

I'd love to wifey proof this thing which means I need reliable bumpers to keep her in XBMC. Any thoughts or tweaks that anyone has discovered? Any better methods than Llama at the moment?

tret

Use a different remote without a Home button. Edit the XBMC skin to hide the Exit button. Use Autopilot or Llama to boot straight into XBMC. Hide the Programs menu, if you really want no way to launch the FTV Launcher. If XBMC ever crashes, just reboot the FTV.
(2014-05-14, 23:53)tret Wrote: Long thread, apologize in advance if this has been covered.

I'm using the Complete Bypass Llama profile from the Fire TV XBMC wiki and it works great except.... If I press "Home" 3-4 times in a row Llama stops re-launching XBMC. I can browse around the Fire TV UI and press Home a bunch of times and no XBMC. If I scroll down to System and start browsing through the available launchers, XBMC is launched.

I'd love to wifey proof this thing which means I need reliable bumpers to keep her in XBMC. Any thoughts or tweaks that anyone has discovered? Any better methods than Llama at the moment?

tret

Try this. Go to Llama, press the menu button the FireTV remote -> Settings -> Active application polling: ~500ms (you can press right or left when the right or left arrow key is highlighted, and it will be on the scroll bar...press left all the way to 50ms then right once or twice). Then go down to Debug and enable Force Persistent Mode. That seems to help the majority of it. Can't get it perfect yet. Maybe I'll try AutomateIt later. I couldn't get Tasker loaded onto the box.
(2014-05-14, 20:39)dgeezer Wrote: Just confirming that the first generation mce remotes don't think work. I bought the Ortek vrc -1100 which is sold on Amazon for about 14 bucks. It has a much smaller ir receiver which actually fits into my TV setup better. The remote worked well. It has a mouse emulator which I thought was kind of lame but otherwise it's fine. I does work in Netflix and Pandora also.

Actually, I bought the remote but am only using the ir receiver with my Harmony remote.

I just got the Ortek 2nd gen Vista remote from Amazon. What profile did you select on the Harmony to make it work with the IR receiver?

Thanks.
Ah, I think I got it. I found a Ortek VRC-1100 profile in "Computer/Media Center PC/ORtek"

And the IR receiver works with the Harmony One once that profile was loaded.
Nice bit of xbmc coverage on Engadget http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/13/fire-tv/
(2014-05-15, 04:38)Anastrophe Wrote: Nice bit of xbmc coverage on Engadget http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/13/fire-tv/

Nice props for the xbmc->firetv wiki too. Which is down as I type Sad

Lots of misinformation in the article's comment thread from folks who don't own a firetv, but are experts anyway.
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
Is there a easy/fast way to update to newer xbmc versions on the FTV?
(2014-05-15, 08:20)LRa Wrote: Is there a easy/fast way to update to newer xbmc versions on the FTV?

To upgrade:
adb install -r xbmc-version.apk (this will let you upgrade forward, never revert backward)

if you need to revert and don't want to lose settings:
adb uninstall -k org.xbmc.xbmc
adb install xbmc-version.apk
(2014-05-15, 08:29)juggie Wrote:
(2014-05-15, 08:20)LRa Wrote: Is there a easy/fast way to update to newer xbmc versions on the FTV?

To upgrade:
adb install -r xbmc-version.apk (this will let you upgrade forward, never revert backward)

Great.
(2014-05-15, 00:27)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-05-14, 23:53)tret Wrote: I'd love to wifey proof this thing which means I need reliable bumpers to keep her in XBMC. Any thoughts or tweaks that anyone has discovered? Any better methods than Llama at the moment?

tret

Use a different remote without a Home button. Edit the XBMC skin to hide the Exit button. Use Autopilot or Llama to boot straight into XBMC. Hide the Programs menu, if you really want no way to launch the FTV Launcher. If XBMC ever crashes, just reboot the FTV.

This was my goal also. I think that I have it working so that it's completely family proof. I use autopilot to boot directly into XBMC. I am using a harmony remote with the Ortek VRC-1100 ir reciever as mentioned a couple posts back. The Ortek remote has a button labeled browser which opens the Amazon home menu on the fire TV, but I just didn't map that to any buttons on the Harmony 650. Also, as elmerohueso said you need to hide the programs menu. I am using the Amber skin, with a simple change to the home menu settings, which gives me access to Netflix and Pandora from the main menu. We have used SageTV for years and this box will be the first time that I can let the family use XBMC. The fact that we can use the FireTV apps like Netflix and Pandora and automatically return to the XBMC menu is absolutely perfect for us. I can't use allcast because it does drop you out of XBMC when it closes.

If I need to access any of the Amzon settings or programs on the FireTV I have to pull out the original FireTV remote.
(2014-05-15, 12:49)dgeezer Wrote:
(2014-05-15, 00:27)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-05-14, 23:53)tret Wrote: I'd love to wifey proof this thing which means I need reliable bumpers to keep her in XBMC. Any thoughts or tweaks that anyone has discovered? Any better methods than Llama at the moment?

tret

This was my goal also. I think that I have it working so that it's completely family proof. I use autopilot to boot directly into XBMC. I am using a harmony remote with the Ortek VRC-1100 ir reciever as mentioned a couple posts back. The Ortek remote has a button labeled browser which opens the Amazon home menu on the fire TV, but I just didn't map that to any buttons on the Harmony 650. Also, as elmerohueso said you need to hide the programs menu. I am using the Amber skin, with a simple change to the home menu settings, which gives me access to Netflix and Pandora from the main menu. We have used SageTV for years and this box will be the first time that I can let the family use XBMC. The fact that we can use the FireTV apps like Netflix and Pandora and automatically return to the XBMC menu is absolutely perfect for us. I can't use allcast because it does drop you out of XBMC when it closes.

If I need to access any of the Amzon settings or programs on the FireTV I have to pull out the original FireTV remote.

This sounds like the solution I'm looking for, thanks guys!

tret
(2014-05-15, 00:19)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-05-14, 22:01)SwiCago Wrote: OK we all know now that you can't launch amazon video from within XBMC, as it is part of fireTV GUI, which is already running.
Is there anyway to make a dummy menu in XBMC to exit back into Amazon interface, without having to navigate to Exit each time. I'd like a AmazonVideo menu point, that does nothing but close XBMC. This makes it easier for my wife to uderstand how to get to AmazonVideo and then use the Dummy Plex action in fireTV to launch XBMC again....

Better would be an option that just puts XBMC in the background until I'd click dummy plex action and it would be in the foreground (w/o reloading all components of XBMC)

And yes, this is relevant to XBMC, because it is running on the FireTV box, hence the thread name "Amazon Fire TV for XBMC" ... It would be nice to just be able to switch between the two more intuitively

Thanks
-AL
Just hit the Home button on the remote. Or create a shortcut to launch the FTV Launcher. Android will just suspend XBMC until you open it again.

I am using a CEC reomote (LG simple LINK), because the FireTV can't control my other gadgets, but my CEC remote can control fireTV....but it lacks a home button. So hitting HOME is not an option.

FTV launcher? Where is this? Under Android Apps in XBMC, I do not see this. Is it hidden in a different way. Do you mind explaining where this is exactly?
Once this is set, it is perfect and does everything I want it too. Even play BD.iso files (3D sucks left and right frames are miss-aligned)

Thanks
-AL
Just wondering if anybody is having a similar experience.When populating movies and tv shows from shared files.Only showing poster no fanart.Not a biggie in the scheme of things.Currently running Gotham 13.SPMC populated all artwork.
(2014-05-15, 16:20)DiamondGeezer Wrote: Just wondering if anybody is having a similar experience.When populating movies and tv shows from shared files.Only showing poster no fanart.Not a biggie in the scheme of things.Currently running Gotham 13.SPMC populated all artwork.

I had a lot of problems when moving from SPMC to gotham with it populating movie and tv show art. I have it setup to store all the art on my NAS instead of on the firetv so i eventually just gave up and completely deleted all art on the nas and made gotham recreate everything. Took forever but that was the only way i could get it to work when moving from SBMC to gotham.
(2014-05-15, 16:04)SwiCago Wrote:
(2014-05-15, 00:19)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-05-14, 22:01)SwiCago Wrote: OK we all know now that you can't launch amazon video from within XBMC, as it is part of fireTV GUI, which is already running.
Is there anyway to make a dummy menu in XBMC to exit back into Amazon interface, without having to navigate to Exit each time. I'd like a AmazonVideo menu point, that does nothing but close XBMC. This makes it easier for my wife to uderstand how to get to AmazonVideo and then use the Dummy Plex action in fireTV to launch XBMC again....

Better would be an option that just puts XBMC in the background until I'd click dummy plex action and it would be in the foreground (w/o reloading all components of XBMC)

And yes, this is relevant to XBMC, because it is running on the FireTV box, hence the thread name "Amazon Fire TV for XBMC" ... It would be nice to just be able to switch between the two more intuitively

Thanks
-AL
Just hit the Home button on the remote. Or create a shortcut to launch the FTV Launcher. Android will just suspend XBMC until you open it again.

I am using a CEC reomote (LG simple LINK), because the FireTV can't control my other gadgets, but my CEC remote can control fireTV....but it lacks a home button. So hitting HOME is not an option.

FTV launcher? Where is this? Under Android Apps in XBMC, I do not see this. Is it hidden in a different way. Do you mind explaining where this is exactly?
Once this is set, it is perfect and does everything I want it too. Even play BD.iso files (3D sucks left and right frames are miss-aligned)

Thanks
-AL

Ah, you should have explained your remote situation. It would have made things more clear for us.

You can certainly edit the keymap file to assign one of the unused remote button, where on the homescreen...it exits XBMC.

Regarding your question about the FireTV launcher...you can open it directly. It's the same thing as what you call the FireTV GUI.
  • 173(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10