• 174(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
Hi,
Not 100% FTV related but, I'm having trouble streaming from my router.
When I connect a usb device to the router and try and play it, it very very slow, practically not usable. But, when I stream from another pc that's connected wirelessly to the router it streams just fine.

Any ideas why is that? Can it be that the direct usb connection sharing is capped by the router?

thx
(2014-05-15, 17:39)LRa Wrote: Hi,
When I connect a usb device to the router and try and play it, it very very slow, practically not usable. But, when I stream from another pc that's connected wirelessly to the router it streams just fine.

Any ideas why is that? Can it be that the direct usb connection sharing is capped by the router?

thx

It could be the USB or how quickly the router processes the files on the USB drive. I've never used the USB on my router, but everything streams fine from my NAS to the Fire TV over the network.
(2014-05-15, 18:10)sspectre Wrote:
(2014-05-15, 17:39)LRa Wrote: Hi,

thx

It could be the USB or how quickly the router processes the files on the USB drive. I've never used the USB on my router, but everything streams fine from my NAS to the Fire TV over the network.

By NAS you mean a network capable hard drive?
LRa, Speculation.....The format of your USB drive could be a factor. Router software might work fine with FAT32, but get bogged down with NTFS. Or, the limited amount of RAM in your router makes handling of large file transfers a challenge. Test a small file and see if that makes a difference.
(2014-05-15, 06:39)jocala Wrote: Nice props for the xbmc->firetv wiki too. Which is down as I type Sad

Lots of misinformation in the article's comment thread from folks who don't own a firetv, but are experts anyway.
The stupidity of that comment thread really makes me appreciate the work that goes into making these forums a useful and friendly place.
+1. Also, I wonder if the author actually tested some of the apps he says work... Jetpack Joyride for example doesn't work when sideloaded. It needs touch control, and you can't do anything with the FTV remote or game controller.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2014-05-14, 01:36)Set845 Wrote: I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere in this thread but more than a few times I've lost my Confluence skin settings upon restarting XBMC. All settings revert to defaults. This has happened on two FTVs running Gotham stable. I tried restoring a backup guisettings.xml that I had stashed somewhere else on the box using XBMC file manager but that had no effect. My settings were not restored. So I tried renaming guisettings.xml to guisettings.xmlold and restarted XBMC. I then deleted guisettings.xml and renamed guisettings.xmlold back to guisettings.xml and resarted XBMC again. But my settings were not restored. Is this a permissions problem because we don't have root? Im a little worried because this seems to happen too often with no way to backup guisettings using the file manager.

Edit: I copied the guisettings.xml file to my Mac and deleted it on the FTV. I restarted the FTV and saw that my settings were gone of course and deleted it again. I quit XBMC and copied it back from the Mac to the FTV and launched XBMC. The guisettings were restored. Its looking like a permissions problem to me. I'm surprised no one else has gotten corrupted guisettings or otherwise lost them.

I hate to quote myself but this has happened again twice since yesterday, one on a brand new box. I can't believe this hasn't happened to anybody else.
I've had Gotham on my fire TV since it was released and not had any issues with losing the confluence skin settings. I changed this week to CCM and still no issues to date.

Do you lose your settings just when using confluence or on other skins too ?

P.S. if anybody is using confluence and like it they should try the CCM (confluence customisable Mod) - similar to confluence but can be changed a whole host of ways to your liking.
Permissions should be fine since XBMC stores data on the 'sdcard'. I am using an old Gotham build still, but haven't seen this at all. What build are you on? Have you tried a factory reset? This was brought up once in the thread earlier in regards to any Android box, but was shrugged off as a hardware issue.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1682876

My build is: xbmc-20140410-7f24c56-AmazonFire-armeabi-v7a.apk
I do use Metropolis also but I don't remember if I lose those settings. I'm going to assume so because restoring a back up of guisettings.xml from outside the Fire TV box fixes Confluence, as it would also fix Metropolis. In other words both skin settings are stored in guisettings.xml. No need to factory reset as this happened to me today on a brand new box. Restoring a backup from the Downloads folder in sdcard0 does nothing but restoring from my Mac fixes it every time. That's what made me think it might be a permissions problem. I'm using xbmc-13.0-armeabi-v7a.apk.
Here's more. Just renaming guisettings.xml and leaving it in the userdata folder wipes out the settings. I say this because renaming it back to original does not restore the settings. So if I even touch that file it's corrupted. Not good.

Edit: I noticed the giusettings.xml file size after I make all my settings is 25.58KB. So I just renamed guisettings.xml and rebooted. The size of a fresh guisettings is 24.96KB. After deleting the file and renaming the original back to guisettings.xml and rebooting the file size changed back to 24.96KB. I do notice the file size does grow a bit as I move around XBMC. Never noticed that before. I guess it settles down once you've accessed all the different parts of the gui.

Oh and when I speak of rebooting what I really mean is just relaunching XBMC, not pulling the plug. So I don't see how this is a hardware problem or a flakey unit as this has happened to me on three separate boxes.
Where can we check the FTV software update changes?
NVM on this one
So I have all my movies stored on a SMB share since I have like 600 movies the ART takes up a ton of space on the small FireTV. All movies are in there own folder with the folder.jpg. Can someone help me create a advanced settings.xml I think so all art work just points to SMB share and not stored on the box.
(2014-05-16, 00:30)ahoslc Wrote: So I have all my movies stored on a SMB share since I have like 600 movies the ART takes up a ton of space on the small FireTV. All movies are in there own folder with the folder.jpg. Can someone help me create a advanced settings.xml I think so all art work just points to SMB share and not stored on the box.

Modify your advancedsettings.xml to save your thumbails to NAS. See this post for my advancedsettings.xml. It works perfectly and saves me a ton of space.
  • 174(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10