• 181(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-05-18, 05:57)tret Wrote:
(2014-05-18, 05:34)nickr Wrote: What is wrong with keyboard type input?

if I press a remote key more than twice in rapid succession (such as to quickly go down a video list to the desired video) the keystroke repeat kicks in. I'm finding it difficult to navigate as the keystroke repeat scroll speed is very fast and can't be controlled once engaged. I've adjusted the Harmony inter-key delays and remote repeat settings which have helped but haven't eliminated the issue.

There's two locations in the Harmony software. The one you want is kindda hidden. I don't have the software in front of me to instruct you.

But I believe it was under the "troubleshooting" section. Change it from the default rate or 3 to 1.

Hopefully someone can chime in and give you the exact instructions.
I apologize if this has been explained previously in the thread. I attempted to search for it, but that wasn't very helpful. Plus, I am not well-versed in video and audio containers and codecs, generally. I did find this: https://developer.amazon.com/appsandserv...#Supported Media Formats

What kinds of file formats (codecs, containers, etc.) can I expect to be able to play on the Amazon Fire TV through XBMC? A lot of my media is h.264 in .mkv container (according to the info shown in XBMC and the file extension shown in windows; I know nothing about codecs and containers).

At first, I would have assumed that any file that plays fine in XBMC on my i3 HTPC would play fine on the Fire TV, but then I recall seeing several posts about a lack of MKV support, so that left me unsure, as I believe XBMC on my HTPC plays MKV files just fine. Of course, I have to admit that over the years I have not been the best at keeping track of which codecs / containers, etc. I use for my media. So far, in my experience, running XBMC on two Intel machines I have never had a problem playing back any files whatsoever, no matter the video or audio formats, so I never paid too close attention to them.

I am really interested in getting a Fire TV, but I would hate to have to re-encode or remux a couple hundred files. Any info / summary you could give to fill me in? Thanks.
Using the FLIRC with the FTV does a lot of repeating too. Have to be careful when pressing buttons.
I tried different remote codes with my univ remote. They all can cause repeats.
Anyone know a workaround?
(2014-05-19, 21:13)who.is.matt Wrote: My launcher is still "under review".

I developed for the iPhone a while back and submitting an app was like dropping it into a black hole. They took forever and you had no clue as to status. My few android apps took only minutes for approval in the play store. Amazon's not new at this, I hope they speed up. Anyway, fingers x'd for ya!
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
(2014-05-20, 03:00)drew_willy Wrote: I apologize if this has been explained previously in the thread. I attempted to search for it, but that wasn't very helpful. Plus, I am not well-versed in video and audio containers and codecs, generally. I did find this: https://developer.amazon.com/appsandserv...#Supported Media Formats

What kinds of file formats (codecs, containers, etc.) can I expect to be able to play on the Amazon Fire TV through XBMC? A lot of my media is h.264 in .mkv container (according to the info shown in XBMC and the file extension shown in windows; I know nothing about codecs and containers).

At first, I would have assumed that any file that plays fine in XBMC on my i3 HTPC would play fine on the Fire TV, but then I recall seeing several posts about a lack of MKV support, so that left me unsure, as I believe XBMC on my HTPC plays MKV files just fine. Of course, I have to admit that over the years I have not been the best at keeping track of which codecs / containers, etc. I use for my media. So far, in my experience, running XBMC on two Intel machines I have never had a problem playing back any files whatsoever, no matter the video or audio formats, so I never paid too close attention to them.

I am really interested in getting a Fire TV, but I would hate to have to re-encode or remux a couple hundred files. Any info / summary you could give to fill me in? Thanks.

FTV works with H.264 via hardware decoding. Some full bit rate MKV files have shown problems but if the file is compressed or a different container is used they play fine. . DTS-MA and True-HD don't work but with DTS-MA it will extract core DTS track, with True-HD you will get stereo.

VC-1 is not supported in hardware and about 25% of Blu-Rays are in VC1 format. FTV does not have enough horsepower to decode VC1 or high resolution MPEG-2 via the CPU.

FTV is a very good box if you have a library consisting primarily of compressed H264 content without HD audio. Also, FTV will not do 23.976 video so not really suitable for a home theater setup...
(2014-05-20, 03:00)drew_willy Wrote: I apologize if this has been explained previously in the thread. I attempted to search for it, but that wasn't very helpful. Plus, I am not well-versed in video and audio containers and codecs, generally. I did find this: https://developer.amazon.com/appsandserv...#Supported Media Formats

You should have no trouble with 99.9% of the videos out there. Support for my files has been stellar, h264 files of all types, 1080p bluray rips encoded via handbrake, m2ts in a mkv wrapper via MakeMKV, m2ts files from bluray,xvid,etc. I think the current problem child is VC1, I don't have any to test.
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
(2014-05-18, 18:17)jocala Wrote: Does the harmony bluetooth pair with firetv as a remote?

I could never get it to work with my Sony GTV. It does work with a PS3 and maybe even the WiiU. I decided not to keep it as I didn't care for the placement of certain playback buttons. Nice remote though.

I find that the FLIRC and any remote works great. That is the route I use but with a Harmony One.

Philip

(2014-05-18, 05:45)jocala Wrote: Since Father's day is approaching, I'd like to get a universal remote for FireTV. I'd like to mothball my TV remote and a original MCE remote too. I have the Ortech IR blaster, will either the Harmony 650 or 700 do what I need? I need to stay well south of $200.

I have tried the Harmony Ultimate and currently use a Harmony One and a Harmony 659. I also have their Smart Control which I consists of the ir blasting base that comes with the Ultimate as well as a basic remote.

My recommendation would be to use FLIRC and either the 650 or 700 Harmony. That should be way less than your budget. The FLIRC will work with your current remote if you don't mind staying with it. The FLIRC learns the remote and not the other way around. Great product and it's very well priced.

Philip
(2014-05-17, 09:05)LRa Wrote: Any ideas why he volume up/down wouldn't affect the actual volume?

Even if I turn it all he way down, -60 db, and see the small mute sign, the volume is still the same.

You have to use the volume amplification command ( volampup, volampdown). This works fine. The Ouya behaves in the same way.

Philip
(2014-04-02, 18:33)drhill Wrote: 24p,DTS, and MPEG2 support is the question for me. 3d too I suppose but MVC still isn't supported.

VidOn AV200 supports AC3/DTS 5.1 SPDIF and DTS-HD/TrueHD HDMI passthrough and blu-ray 3D playback, it's just $120, it has more powerful than Amazon Fire TV, I have already reserved it.
Quote:3d too I suppose but MVC still isn't supported.
XBMC itself doesn't support MVC for 3D playback. It will play MVC as 2D however. And, XBMC on FTV will also play MVC MKV's in 2D. Some MKV's however (with peak bitrates at 90+ Mbps) stutter/freeze. Also, other 3D MKV's have the same green pixellation/strobing issue as some 2D MKV's. Latter is a known MKV container issue.

Quote:VidOn AV200...
I'm skeptical of this box, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Not by the few that appear to be affiliated with the company posting in various threads here, AVSForum and elsewhere, but by actual users who've put the box through tests for full 3D (ISO, MVC MKV), HD audio, high bitrate stress clips, etc.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2014-05-19, 22:05)hdmkv Wrote: Keeping my fingers crossed your app will be approved sooner than later. It's the one thing that'll make XBMC on FTV more family friendly. Surprisingly my friend's app, which I helped test as he didn't have a FTV, was approved 3 days after submission. Maybe because it's a game as you noted.

On a different note, here's a list of sideloaded apps that work on FTV (XDA forum).

So... It seems like what we really need is a game developer willing to add a setting in their game to launch XBMC instead of the game at startup. I bet this game would become VERY popular! Smile

It could be called "X-Launcher" with a graphic of an X and some sort of space ship. The game itself could be a rip of the old arcade game "Defender". Your friend could just change his code to make the bear a space ship and the junk food into aliens. The good food could become power-ups. Presto: new game and and XBMC launcher.

Think your friend would go for the idea? Just a thought.
(2014-05-20, 13:40)hdmkv Wrote: . Some MKV's however (with peak bitrates at 90+ Mbps) stutter/freeze..

90+ Mbps? Whats the source? Blurays are limited to 48Mps combined video/audio arent they? Pretty sure I dont have anything that exceeds that.
(2014-05-20, 03:04)Dixon Butz Wrote: Using the FLIRC with the FTV does a lot of repeating too. Have to be careful when pressing buttons.
I tried different remote codes with my univ remote. They all can cause repeats.
Anyone know a workaround?

There's a Flirc setting called Inter-Key Delay you can use that may help. Once the FTV thinks you're holding down a button, though, the command repeats very rapidly. This seems to be an Android thing because the article below was written for the Ouya.

https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/artic...-Keys-Sent
(2014-05-20, 14:23)Apothis Wrote:
(2014-05-20, 13:40)hdmkv Wrote: . Some MKV's however (with peak bitrates at 90+ Mbps) stutter/freeze..

90+ Mbps? Whats the source? Blurays are limited to 48Mps combined video/audio arent they? Pretty sure I dont have anything that exceeds that.
For frame-packed (full) 3D they do. Examples are 'The Immortals', 'The Avengers' (end battle sequence), 'Titanic', etc.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2014-05-20, 14:52)hdmkv Wrote: For frame-packed (full) 3D they do. Examples are 'The Immortals', 'The Avengers' (end battle sequence), 'Titanic', etc.

Ahh, 3D, I dont do that, thanks for the info.
  • 181(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10