• 186(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-05-23, 00:50)underworld123 Wrote:
(2014-05-22, 23:55)Doug in Calgary Wrote: I got XBMC running on the Fire TV. How do I make it build a library? The media files are on a QNAP NAS on the same network as the Fire TV, all connected via wired Ethernet. I've been able to navigate the directory structures on the NAS from XBMC using the NAS' UPnP server or through SMB. I would like XBMC to scan the directories and build a library.

Just add your NAS folders as Video Sources.

Don't forget to set the content as well, or it won't scrape.
Too many pages to read through which version of xbmc would be best for me I'll only be using plug ins, never playing local media.

Thanks in advance.
(2014-05-23, 03:45)derrickrozay Wrote: Too many pages to read through which version of xbmc would be best for me I'll only be using plug ins, never playing local media.

Thanks in advance.

Read the wiki or just randomly select any page since its asked almost every day.
(2014-05-23, 00:31)mediumdry Wrote: I just set up my Fire TV and it's almost perfect for me... there are only a few niggles, some to do with XBMC, some with the Fire TV.
First, volume doesn't work. It's known, but I wish it was fixed already. Does anyone know what needs to be done to get this working? I remember a similar issue being there for the Apple TV 2, maybe the same fix can be worked on? Oddly enough, the amplification does work, so we can make the sound louder, just not less loud.
Also, I'd like to know if the home button and the microphone button can be caught.. I am one button short of having all my most used features working and I'd rather not change the forward/back buttons next to the play/pause button.

Every once in a while there's a crash, but it's rare. The plugins I've tried all work. I've upgraded to 13.1beta2 now and it's all good. The device is just so responsive after using a raspberry pi for a while now. I've had to resort to NFS shares, as my file server is OS X Mountain Lion and both SMB and AFP gave trouble/didn't work in XBMC. (on the raspbmc install I simply mounted the share in the filesystem) Advantage of NFS is that things load a lot faster.

As soon as the volume issue is fixed I'll move over, especially since my wife loves the style of the remote. Smile

edit: I forgot.. the Fire TV does not allow all timezones, only the ones in which it is sold. I live in the Netherlands, so I cannot set my correct timezone, which means that the time is off by at least 6 hours. XBMC doesn't allow to set a separate timezone unfortunately, so I'm stuck with the wrong time. Any ideas to solve it?

I used beta2 tonight w/o problems. Not a stress-test, but watched some things.

The timezone can't be altered beyond what amazon allows, afaik. I tried sideloading the settings app; some things worked, timezone wasn't one of them
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
(2014-05-23, 03:45)derrickrozay Wrote: Too many pages to read through which version of xbmc would be best for me I'll only be using plug ins, never playing local media.

Thanks in advance.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV
I dont know if anyone has the similar problem like I do.

My fire tv internet connection worked fine before I installed XBMC. After installing XBMC, watching movies from my local NAS still buffers appx 10 times per movies.

The live streaming app like WatchESPN (Fire TV app) sometimes works fine, most of the times it keeps showing buffering circle. Even when I used the voice command, sometimes it works fine, sometimes it takes foverer to figure what I said. I used the work 'sometimes' here a lot because it seems to work now and then but not consistently.

I reset the box and WatchESPN and Amazon Prime works fine again, but soon after I installed XBMC, the same problems happen.

All other devices in my house works fine, I got 2 Rasperry Pi connected wirelessly and they are put much further away from the router than the Fire TV but I can stream NAS contents without any buffers at all.

Is there any conflict between XBMC and Fire TV connection configuration that I need to fix here? (Btw, I'm using 1-band router)
(2014-05-23, 06:44)harrisonddo Wrote: I dont know if anyone has the similar problem like I do.

My fire tv internet connection worked fine before I installed XBMC. After installing XBMC, watching movies from my local NAS still buffers appx 10 times per movies.

The live streaming app like WatchESPN (Fire TV app) sometimes works fine, most of the times it keeps showing buffering circle. Even when I used the voice command, sometimes it works fine, sometimes it takes foverer to figure what I said. I used the work 'sometimes' here a lot because it seems to work now and then but not consistently.

I reset the box and WatchESPN and Amazon Prime works fine again, but soon after I installed XBMC, the same problems happen.

All other devices in my house works fine, I got 2 Rasperry Pi connected wirelessly and they are put much further away from the router than the Fire TV but I can stream NAS contents without any buffers at all.

Is there any conflict between XBMC and Fire TV connection configuration that I need to fix here? (Btw, I'm using 1-band router)

Sounds like an internet issue but here are a few suggestions. Re load xbmc or try to wire it. Is acceleration turned off? Which version are you using?
[/quote]

Thank you very much. This helps greatly.

I guess that leaves me with another question regarding audio specifically. You have said that HD audio does not work "but with DTS-MA it will extract core DTS track, with True-HD you will get stereo." I am not at all well-versed with HD audio formats or serious receiver/speaker setups (I still think 5.1 surround sound in itself is amazing). Suppose I have a 2.1 soundbar to which I connect the Fire TV via HDMI. I have previously had no trouble getting the soundbar to play audio from files containing DTS and Dolby Digital audio. Will I be able to get 2.1 audio when XBMC on the Fire TV attempts to play a video with DTS-MA or True-HD audio? From what you've written above, I think the answer is yes, but I am not sure. Also, seeing that my HTPC plays the same file in XBMC just fine, producing audio via 3.5mm aux line to 2.1 computer speakers*, I strongly suspect the audio will play fine on the soundbar via HDMI, but just checking with somebody who obviously knows a lot more about all the audio stuff than I do.

*I know, my audio setup is super lame, but it is all I can afford now; it works at present. Later in the year, when my budget allows, I would like to step up my 2.1 computer speaker setup to a true 5.1 setup. But getting info on that would probably require a whole other thread...
[/quote]

I'm curious about this as well, because I will have a similar setup with similar formats and not well versed with all the different audio formats. Haven't really played anything other than tv shows, and haven't had much time to test much else. Thanks in advance, been following this thread for a while and have learned a lot in the process.
(2014-05-23, 14:11)RustyTongueRing Wrote: Thank you very much. This helps greatly.

I guess that leaves me with another question regarding audio specifically. You have said that HD audio does not work "but with DTS-MA it will extract core DTS track, with True-HD you will get stereo." I am not at all well-versed with HD audio formats or serious receiver/speaker setups (I still think 5.1 surround sound in itself is amazing). Suppose I have a 2.1 soundbar to which I connect the Fire TV via HDMI. I have previously had no trouble getting the soundbar to play audio from files containing DTS and Dolby Digital audio. Will I be able to get 2.1 audio when XBMC on the Fire TV attempts to play a video with DTS-MA or True-HD audio? From what you've written above, I think the answer is yes, but I am not sure. Also, seeing that my HTPC plays the same file in XBMC just fine, producing audio via 3.5mm aux line to 2.1 computer speakers*, I strongly suspect the audio will play fine on the soundbar via HDMI, but just checking with somebody who obviously knows a lot more about all the audio stuff than I do.

*I know, my audio setup is super lame, but it is all I can afford now; it works at present. Later in the year, when my budget allows, I would like to step up my 2.1 computer speaker setup to a true 5.1 setup. But getting info on that would probably require a whole other thread...

I'm curious about this as well, because I will have a similar setup with similar formats and not well versed with all the different audio formats. Haven't really played anything other than tv shows, and haven't had much time to test much else. Thanks in advance, been following this thread for a while and have learned a lot in the process.

I'm not sure what the actual question is here, as you messed up the quotes. But to put it simply, if doing HDMI audio passthrough, to a device that at least supports AC3/DTS, then those formats will be decoded on the receiving device. If your source material contains DTS-MA, then as the firetv cant ouput that, it will fall back to the DTS core track exactly as if the source was DTS, rather than DTS-MA, and the original answer applies. If the source material is TrueHD, then again the firetv cant output that, but in this case it will output a Stereo only track over the HDMI, when your receiving device will then do whatever it normally does with stereo material.
(2014-05-20, 13:51)jtr2006 Wrote:
(2014-05-19, 22:05)hdmkv Wrote: Keeping my fingers crossed your app will be approved sooner than later. It's the one thing that'll make XBMC on FTV more family friendly. Surprisingly my friend's app, which I helped test as he didn't have a FTV, was approved 3 days after submission. Maybe because it's a game as you noted.

On a different note, here's a list of sideloaded apps that work on FTV (XDA forum).

So... It seems like what we really need is a game developer willing to add a setting in their game to launch XBMC instead of the game at startup. I bet this game would become VERY popular! Smile

It could be called "X-Launcher" with a graphic of an X and some sort of space ship. The game itself could be a rip of the old arcade game "Defender". Your friend could just change his code to make the bear a space ship and the junk food into aliens. The good food could become power-ups. Presto: new game and and XBMC launcher.

Think your friend would go for the idea? Just a thought.

I guess this app is still under review? It might get through more easily if billed as a 'developer' help tool rather than appearing as a workaround for sideloads.
(2014-04-20, 17:45)Thraxen Wrote:
(2014-04-20, 17:34)underworld123 Wrote:
(2014-04-20, 17:18)Thraxen Wrote: Just side load an FTP server via ADB. Then you can connect via FTP and drag/drop/edit files all you want. Much less tedious than ADB, IMO.

Which FTP server works well on AFTV?

I've been using this one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...fox.ftpsvr

Nothing fancy, but it works well. I tried a few others, but some of them wouldn't use the Ethernet connection. They were expecting wireless connections like you would have to use on a phone/tablet.

I just installed this FTP server and it works except it can't navigate to the userdata folder because it can't see the .xbmc folder or anything underneath it. I can get to "/sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files" path but then it shows empty. I'm guessing that it is because .xbmc is hidden. I am using the latest (3.8.0) Filezilla for windows and have tried the "Force showing hidden files" options but it still doesn't work. Any ideas on how to get this to work or maybe use a different FTP server or client. Thanks.

Jay
I could not for the life of me get the FTV remote to utilize the forward and rewind buttons. I'm on Gotham beta2 now coming from SPMC 12.4.2 and a couple of reasons why I went with Gotham was full keyboard support (shift working) and what I thought was forward and rewind on the FTV remote.

Needless to say, it never worked for me on SPMC those two buttons. Once I transitioned to Gotham, I thought those troublesome buttons would work. I never did try it on first run. I immediately used an alternative keyboard.xml. Initially I tried keymap1, since I use HDMI passthrough the volume up and down were useless but I did like the 7 seconds back the context menu provided. But of course forward and rewind didn't work. Then I tried keymap2 and thought the codecinfo could be helpful and again the forward and rewind didn't work.

So I ended up doing a custom keymap incorporating both things I liked about the initial two keymaps. Once again the forward and rewind didn't work. It wasn't until I added code for fastforward and rewind to keyboard.xml before it finally worked. Hopefully this helps someone.

PHP Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<keymap>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <menu>CodecInfo</menu>
      <backspace>SmallStepBack</backspace>
      <rewind>Rewind</rewind>
      <fastforward>FastForward</fastforward>
    </keyboard>
  </FullscreenVideo>
</keymap> 
If this isn’t a good place to post this question then I do apologize.

I have been a Windows Media Center user for almost 10 years now but I am in the process of trying to switch all of my HTPC use to the Fire. I have XBMC running and it’s mostly working very well. I have Digital Dolby and DTS audio working over the Spdif output, I have OTA/Live/PVR TV working via PVR.WMC / ServerWMC. Baring a few stability issues when channel changing it is working pretty well, (thanks a lot to all of the wonderful developers and contributors who have taken XBMC far)

The problem that I am experiencing that I haven’t been able to google a solution to occurs when attempting to play certain WTV files. Yesterday I spent some time fiddling with ServerWMC thinking that it was the likely culprit but I’ve concluded that, that isn’t very likely because the files that don’t play won’t play even when using the ‘Videos’ section of XBMC to play them directly.

I have hundreds of TV shows recorded and most of them play just fine but these ones that won’t play do something very odd. When you choose them, you get audio for a few seconds but never any video. And then, after maybe 10~20 seconds, the audio stops. If I choose to force the image to go full screen by manually selecting the full screen option my display is then filled little tiled images of the progress bar.

To make it even stranger, last night I had PVR.WMC/ServerWMC/WMC setup to record the news. XBMC saw that the news was being recorded but when I tried to start watching the broadcast in progress I realized that this file was going to be one of those bad ones. (Audio for a few seconds, no video, and eventually it stops playing) but what was different this time is that since the recording was in progress I was able to select an option to start playback at the current time, 20 minutes into the broadcast, and that worked! The file started playing normally. I just hit rewind and watched it from the beginning. After the broadcast was over, I tried playing it from the beginning using PVR.WMC (and later by directly clicking the WTV file from the ‘Videos’ section of XBMC) and it would not over. Just the same error, a few seconds of audio, no video and eventually it just stops playing.
  • Here is a summary of mysetup.
  • Amazon Fire TV (HDMI video, Spdif audio)
  • Windows 8.1 + Windows Media Center
  • ServerWMC
  • HDHomeRun dual tuner
  • XBMC 13.0 (latest stable release, not beta)

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a work around? I guess that this weekend I can try to see if the beta builds improve the situation. I’m new to XBMC, Android and the Fire TV but I’m fairly technically savvy. Is there an error log that I can get to on the device that might help?
(2014-05-23, 15:19)jerndl Wrote:
(2014-04-20, 17:45)Thraxen Wrote:
(2014-04-20, 17:34)underworld123 Wrote: Which FTP server works well on AFTV?

I've been using this one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...fox.ftpsvr

Nothing fancy, but it works well. I tried a few others, but some of them wouldn't use the Ethernet connection. They were expecting wireless connections like you would have to use on a phone/tablet.

I just installed this FTP server and it works except it can't navigate to the userdata folder because it can't see the .xbmc folder or anything underneath it. I can get to "/sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files" path but then it shows empty. I'm guessing that it is because .xbmc is hidden. I am using the latest (3.8.0) Filezilla for windows and have tried the "Force showing hidden files" options but it still doesn't work. Any ideas on how to get this to work or maybe use a different FTP server or client. Thanks.

Jay

I'd try different client. Im using Winscp and I can see .xbmc folder on same FTP Server.
(2014-05-23, 16:40)Trevis Wrote: Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a work around? I guess that this weekend I can try to see if the beta builds improve the situation. I’m new to XBMC, Android and the Fire TV but I’m fairly technically savvy. Is there an error log that I can get to on the device that might help?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Easy
  • 186(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10