• 193(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-05-23, 23:05)batenoy Wrote: Does anyone know how to get the context menu button to work on a Harmony remote using the Ortek VRC-1100 profile? I've got everything else up and running smoothly, but can't seem to get the context menu to work.

Thanks in advance!

I used a program add-on called Keymap Editor. I'm not sure which repo I got it from. When you are in Edit, select Global and then Navigation. Scroll down and find Context Menu and map it. I have my Harmony 650 using Ortek VRC-1100 profile. I mapped the Guide button to Context Menu and it works great.

Good luck,

And BTW, you can map rewind, ff, step back and step forward. That will make those buttons functional also. If you want to go crazy mapping a bunch of keyboard shortcuts, assign them to the number keys.

To others who wanted to quickly access XBMC from Fire TV menu, I used Llama to start XBMC whenever I start Flixter. I installed Flixter via Amazon App Store. That way it shows up on the FTV main menu. When I click Flixter, it auto starts XBMC. It's a work around until a shortcut is officially approved. (I got this idea from a much earlier post. But after 193 pages, I forgot the posters name. No disrespect for sharing your idea.).
(2014-05-26, 08:58)Snowball Wrote: HI there,

two questions:

1. I tried to stream a movie (The Wolf of Wall Street, 23GB version) from my PC using Wifi connection. The streaming is not perfect. I have a lot of buffering problems (depending on the bitrate, I guess).
Am I doing something wrong or it is normal for a system like Amazon Fire Tv?

2. I tried to make a second attempt using LAN cable, but connecting the cable to Amazon Fire TV it doens't recognize it automatically. I have to manually put all the info. I tried to give it IP, Gateway, DNS,... but no luck. Any hint?

Thanks for help.

Did you turn off the Wi-Fi? For some reason mine defaults to Wi-Fi if they are both on.
bafangul Wrote:

To others who wanted to quickly access XBMC from Fire TV menu, I used Llama to start XBMC whenever I start Flixter. I installed Flixter via Amazon App Store. That way it shows up on the FTV main menu. When I click Flixter, it auto starts XBMC. It's a work around until a shortcut is officially approved. (I got this idea from a much earlier post. But after 193 pages, I forgot the posters name. No disrespect for sharing your idea.).

This is great news. But how do I go about using an app (Flixter) to launch XBMC. The steps necessary for doing this would be invaluable to me and others who would love to be able to launch XBMC from the Fire TV homescreen. Thanks in advance.
(2014-05-27, 02:18)mjbxx Wrote: bafangul Wrote:

This is great news. But how do I go about using an app (Flixter) to launch XBMC. The steps necessary for doing this would be invaluable to me and others who would love to be able to launch XBMC from the Fire TV homescreen. Thanks in advance.

I'm more used to tasker than Llama, but I would imagine you would setup an event that monitored when Flixster was launched, then launch xbmc.
(2014-05-26, 22:15)underworld123 Wrote:
(2014-05-26, 21:03)Apothis Wrote:
(2014-05-26, 18:53)underworld123 Wrote: I just encoded a video with the settings that you recommended. The resulting video had the video codec: H264 - MPEG4 AVC (part 10) (avc1). It played in XBMC, but I was under the impression that FTV did not play AVC1 files. Kindly advice.

It doesnt support hardware decoding of VC1, which is a different beast entirely.

Ahh...that makes sense. I got confused between VC1 and AVC1.

AVC (Advanced Video Coding) is H.264.

VC1 is a completely different animal.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Couple of questions

1) How do I SSH into the FTV using my mac? I have filezilla installed what are the username and pw?
2) Can I make my own keymap instead of using one of the preconfigured ones?
3) Do I use FTP/SSH to send the keymap to the FTV?
I remember somebody on here saying that they got the home button on the fire tv remote to launch XBMC but I forgot to bookmark it does anybody know how I could do it?
(2014-05-27, 02:56)foomanshoe Wrote:
(2014-05-27, 02:18)mjbxx Wrote: bafangul Wrote:

I'm more used to tasker than Llama, but I would imagine you would setup an event that monitored when Flixster was launched, then launch xbmc.

I have no idea how to setup an event in Llama that would monitor an app (Flixter) to launch XBMC on the Fire TV homescreen.
(2014-05-27, 00:25)LazerBlue Wrote: [quote='Snowball' pid='1719882' dateline='1401087518']
HI there,

two questions:

1. I tried to stream a movie (The Wolf of Wall Street, 23GB version) from my PC using Wifi connection. The streaming is not perfect. I have a lot of buffering problems (depending on the bitrate, I guess).

2. I tried to make a second attempt using LAN cable, but connecting the cable to Amazon Fire TV it doens't recognize it automatically. I have to manually put all the info. I tried to give it IP, Gateway, DNS,... but no luck. Any hint?

Thanks for help.

1. Finally I found someone that has the same problem as I got Sad I got a lot of buffering problems. It seems that the router understands the XBMC as a separate device and Fire TV as a separate device (hope i put this correctly). Whenever I use WatchESPN live, I have to turn off the XBMC app in order to watch ESPN smoothly, otherwise it's just blurry even though my download speed is 30Mps.
Even streaming local contents can get a lot of bufferings. I modifed the file advancedsettings.xml and push it in the Fire TV to let it cache the video for a little so the problem is kinda solved. Hopefully there's will be a better way of doing this.
(2014-05-27, 05:04)derrickrozay Wrote: Couple of questions

1) How do I SSH into the FTV using my mac? I have filezilla installed what are the username and pw?

Regarding questions 1 & 3 above: You first need to load an FTP server onto your Fire TV via adb. I use RapFox FTP. You'll need to find the apk for whatever server you'd like. You'll have to start the server app on your FTV and then you can connect with your Mac via FileZilla. However, the files in the main xbmc folder seem to be hidden for me (and others). I haven't gotten around to figuring out what FTP server on the FTP will allow me to view things like my userdata directory. That's key, because that prevents me right now from using FTP to modify or remove/add things like the keymap.xml file via FTP. I've been using adb for keymap files, which is done via a simple ./adb push keyboard.xml /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/ command in Terminal on my Mac.
(2014-05-27, 00:25)LazerBlue Wrote:
(2014-05-26, 08:58)Snowball Wrote: HI there,

two questions:

Thanks for help.

Did you turn off the Wi-Fi? For some reason mine defaults to Wi-Fi if they are both on.

Thanks for your answer.
So do you mean that I should go in SETTINGS and turn off Wifi on Amazon Tv?
I will try later.

(2014-05-26, 20:40)z31fanatic Wrote:
(2014-05-26, 08:58)Snowball Wrote: I tried to stream a movie (The Wolf of Wall Street, 23GB version) from my PC using Wifi connection. The streaming is not perfect. I have a lot of buffering problems (depending on the bitrate, I guess).
Smooth playback of a full bluray rip over wireless is not happening. Use a wired connection.
I tried playing full bluray rips over wireless on a Macbook pro which has an i7 processor and dedicated 2gb nvidia 750 video card with no success. I experienced buffering every two minutes or so.

Oh thanks for help.
Talking to a friend it seems something related on the speed of your WIFI connection at home
Having a Gigabit setup you should not have this kind of problem - he said.

Quick question:

- Right now is it possible to plug a USB DEVICE (USB Key, HDD,...) to the Amazon TV and see inside it using XBMC?
(2014-05-27, 14:07)Snowball Wrote: - Right now is it possible to plug a USB DEVICE (USB Key, HDD,...) to the Amazon TV and see inside it using XBMC?

No. Amazon has not enabled the USB port for storage at this time. It may be enabled in a future update.
(2014-05-27, 11:45)exit Wrote:

Regarding questions 1 & 3 above: You first need to load an FTP server onto your Fire TV via adb. I use RapFox FTP. You'll need to find the apk for whatever server you'd like. You'll have to start the server app on your FTV and then you can connect with your Mac via FileZilla. However, the files in the main xbmc folder seem to be hidden for me (and others). I haven't gotten around to figuring out what FTP server on the FTP will allow me to view things like my userdata directory. That's key, because that prevents me right now from using FTP to modify or remove/add things like the keymap.xml file via FTP. I've been using adb for keymap files, which is done via a simple ./adb push keyboard.xml /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/ command in Terminal on my Mac.
See my post above http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1718986 for a solution to accessing the userdata folder.

Jay
(2014-05-26, 08:58)Snowball Wrote: Talking to a friend it seems something related on the speed of your WIFI connection at home
Having a Gigabit setup you should not have this kind of problem - he said.
You don't really need a gigabit router. FTV's ethernet port is not gigabit. It's the older 100 Mbps port which is enough to play full bluray rips.
(2014-05-27, 11:45)exit Wrote:

not sure what the problem is with your winscp, but mine shows .xbmc folder and all the sub folders. There must be a setting to turn on hidden file (when you launch winscp, click on Preferences on left then preferences again, then Panels under Environment tab on left, and tick show hidden files), also the version im using is 4.3.4 (build 1428) . Good Luck.
  • 193(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10