• 210(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-06-07, 02:36)dukester Wrote:
(2014-06-01, 19:01)Maxii Wrote: I'm going for the trial offer on the AFTV as well. The only thing I'm concern about is the lack of volume control buttons on many of these set top boxes. I use PC speakers that don't have a remote. So I set the volume high and use volume control on my HTPC desktop. Chromecast works great as well using the phone or tablets hardware volume buttons.

(2014-06-07, 00:31)Colin15150 Wrote:
(2014-06-06, 21:25)Apothis Wrote: It will certainly transcode AAC to AC3 if you want. It cant transcode a 5.1 AAC to 5.1 LPCM due to the usual android limitation of only 2 channels of LPCM. But I just tested on a 5.1 AAC (had to hunt to find one) and it happily transcoded it to 5.1 AC3

That's interestng. I could not get the Fire Tv to transcode from 5.1 AAC to 5.1 AC3. What am I doing wrong?
I have enabled HDMI passthrough and have ac3 capable receiver ticked.

Sill there a no 24Hz which is not ideal (I can tell the difference when watching a movie)
but if I could get AAC to AC3 transcoding to work that's a good step in the right direction.

The fire tv is a lot more convenient running xbmc than the raspberry pi as the menus are so slow on the later in comparison.

i also cannot get 5.1 aac to output 5.1 to my receiver from the fireTV, a PC does it no problem, but iirc theres a 3rd option for AAC on the PC version of xbmc that the android version does not have. its only a few movies in my collection but its bothered me since day 1

ME TOO!!! Quite Alot of my movies are 5.1AAC and I cannot get them to output anything but stereo to my receiver. Sounds like someone has gotten it to trasncode to AC3, perhaps there is something in the setup we are missing. I am running Gotham 13.1
Any help much appreciated!!!!!
Anyone know why I can't change the select button in a custom keymap? I want the button to play/pause during full screen video since I'm accustomed to that from the Apple TV. But it's always OSD even after I change it in the custom keyboard.xml.

It's not a typo and the custom keymap XML is working just fine (my other changes all work fine). I tried changing it to Play and to Pause but it's still bringing up the OSD. Very strange.
(2014-06-07, 00:31)Colin15150 Wrote: That's interestng. I could not get the Fire Tv to transcode from 5.1 AAC to 5.1 AC3. What am I doing wrong?

Sill there a no 24Hz which is not ideal (I can tell the difference when watching a movie)
but if I could get AAC to AC3 transcoding to work that's a good step in the right direction.

The fire tv is a lot more convenient running xbmc than the raspberry pi as the menus are so slow on the later in comparison.

(2014-06-07, 02:36)dukester Wrote: i also cannot get 5.1 aac to output 5.1 to my receiver from the fireTV, a PC does it no problem, but iirc theres a 3rd option for AAC on the PC version of xbmc that the android version does not have. its only a few movies in my collection but its bothered me since day 1

(2014-06-07, 08:46)sdog21 Wrote: ME TOO!!! Quite Alot of my movies are 5.1AAC and I cannot get them to output anything but stereo to my receiver. Sounds like someone has gotten it to trasncode to AC3, perhaps there is something in the setup we are missing. I am running Gotham 13.1

To get XBMC to transcode AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1, in the Audio Setting under System, ensure you have Passthrough enabled, and the number of speakers set to 2.0. (This doesnt affect your ability to pass 5.1 audio on the passthrough, as it essentially does nothing for a passthrough device, but the setting does enable the next option). Now under the passthrough section, where you select the capabilities of your receiver, under the AC3 capable reciever, there will be an option to enable Dolby Digital Transcoding. Enable that, and your AAC 5.1 will be transcoded to AC3 5.1 and passed through to your receiver as such.

For the guy commenting that the PC windows version used to have an option for AAC passthrough. I think its been confirmed that that didnt actually do anything as there are very few consumer devices that actually accept AAC like that. Info from this page, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152691&page=2 would seem to confirm that.
(2014-06-07, 11:11)Apothis Wrote:
(2014-06-07, 00:31)Colin15150 Wrote: That's interestng. I could not get the Fire Tv to transcode from 5.1 AAC to 5.1 AC3. What am I doing wrong?

(2014-06-07, 02:36)dukester Wrote: i also cannot get 5.1 aac to output 5.1 to my receiver from the fireTV, a PC does it no problem, but iirc theres a 3rd option for AAC on the PC version of xbmc that the android version does not have. its only a few movies in my collection but its bothered me since day 1

(2014-06-07, 08:46)sdog21 Wrote: ME TOO!!! Quite Alot of my movies are 5.1AAC and I cannot get them to output anything but stereo to my receiver. Sounds like someone has gotten it to trasncode to AC3, perhaps there is something in the setup we are missing. I am running Gotham 13.1

To get XBMC to transcode AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1, in the Audio Setting under System, ensure you have Passthrough enabled, and the number of speakers set to 2.0. (This doesnt affect your ability to pass 5.1 audio on the passthrough, as it essentially does nothing for a passthrough device, but the setting does enable the next option). Now under the passthrough section, where you select the capabilities of your receiver, under the AC3 capable reciever, there will be an option to enable Dolby Digital Transcoding. Enable that, and your AAC 5.1 will be transcoded to AC3 5.1 and passed through to your receiver as such.

For the guy commenting that the PC windows version used to have an option for AAC passthrough. I think its been confirmed that that didnt actually do anything as there are very few consumer devices that actually accept AAC like that. Info from this page, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152691&page=2 would seem to confirm that.

You're a diamond! That's great many thanks. I actually saw that transcoding option when I first set up xbmc but could not understand why it had disappeared. Not tried it yet but I bet it works. I'll compare it to the 5.1 AAC to 5.1 PCM decoding the Raspberry Pi does.
(2014-06-07, 10:30)htpcrelic Wrote: Anyone know why I can't change the select button in a custom keymap? I want the button to play/pause during full screen video since I'm accustomed to that from the Apple TV. But it's always OSD even after I change it in the custom keyboard.xml.

It's not a typo and the custom keymap XML is working just fine (my other changes all work fine). I tried changing it to Play and to Pause but it's still bringing up the OSD. Very strange.

I figured it out. For the select button on the FTW one needs to use <return>, not <enter>. The section in the wiki should be corrected.
(2014-06-07, 15:06)htpcrelic Wrote:
(2014-06-07, 10:30)htpcrelic Wrote: Anyone know why I can't change the select button in a custom keymap? I want the button to play/pause during full screen video since I'm accustomed to that from the Apple TV. But it's always OSD even after I change it in the custom keyboard.xml.

I figured it out. For the select button on the FTW one needs to use <return>, not <enter>. The section in the wiki should be corrected.

So correct it!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So I did it, got the fire TV put XBMC 13.1 on it. Looks and runs great ! I think this is fastest I seen XBMC run on any device ! Now CEC is working with my Yamaha AVR, only issue is the "Home" button, cant figure out which one it is mapping to my Yamaha remote, it would be great to go back to AFTV home screen right away with out quiting XBMC. If anyone has any suggestions would be great. BTW I'm using harmony ultimate to control everything.
Running since XBMP
Hey guys... Please forgive my ignorance if this has been discussed. I'm a bit new to XBMC. Is anyone else having issues in XBMC 13.0 and 13.1 on FTV with the progress play bar when it comes to MKV files? All of my 720p MKV files from BTN played on the FTV XBMC do not advance the play bar at all. It just stays at 00:00:00, even though the video itself playbacks just fine. Skip ahead/fast forward doesn't quite work right and it doesn't save progress to resume where left off. Skip back and rewind, just goes right back to the start of the file. mp4 files seem to work just fine; the progress bar advances as the file is played, and it remembers to resume where I left off.

Playing the same files in XBMC 13.0 running on a Windows7 PC, the progress is tracked just fine, resume works, ff and rr work. Both the FTV and the Win7 XBMC's look to the same SMB file share on a Windows 2008 server to get these video files.

I've uninstalled XBMC 13.0 from the FTV, and reinstalled via ADB to clear out anything I could have done. I still see the same behavior. I've uninstalled 13.0 and installed 13.1, same behavior.

Is there something I'm missing when it comes to XBMC on FTV, or is this a known issue on FTV? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
(2014-06-07, 21:09)mkeguy506 Wrote: Hey guys... Please forgive my ignorance if this has been discussed. I'm a bit new to XBMC. Is anyone else having issues in XBMC 13.0 and 13.1 on FTV with the progress play bar when it comes to MKV files? All of my 720p MKV files from BTN played on the FTV XBMC do not advance the play bar at all. It just stays at 00:00:00, even though the video itself playbacks just fine. Skip ahead/fast forward doesn't quite work right and it doesn't save progress to resume where left off. Skip back and rewind, just goes right back to the start of the file. mp4 files seem to work just fine; the progress bar advances as the file is played, and it remembers to resume where I left off.

Playing the same files in XBMC 13.0 running on a Windows7 PC, the progress is tracked just fine, resume works, ff and rr work. Both the FTV and the Win7 XBMC's look to the same SMB file share on a Windows 2008 server to get these video files.

I've uninstalled XBMC 13.0 from the FTV, and reinstalled via ADB to clear out anything I could have done. I still see the same behavior. I've uninstalled 13.0 and installed 13.1, same behavior.

Is there something I'm missing when it comes to XBMC on FTV, or is this a known issue on FTV? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Yep, and I believe it's related to this : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=194932

Try rebooting the AFTV, this seems to help (sometimes).
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks Tinwarble. Rebooting actually did help. Glad to see this is an issue others are having as well. I appreciate the help!!!
I have two issues:

1) When I passthrough DTS to my soundbar via hdmi, it is like I am missing the center channel. Super strange.. do the audio output settings of the fireTV itself impact this? I tried outputting DTS over HDMI from windows via XBMC there and it worked.

2) If I use XBMC then exit (home button, or launch KFTV from programs) netflix and prime videos don't work.. I have to reboot the device (hold down select and play/pause for 5 seconds), then everything comes up. I think cleaning cache of xbmc/netflix/kftv may have fixed it once, but that is a lot to ask of other family members.

Any ideas?
(2014-06-08, 06:26)josefwells Wrote: I have two issues:

1) When I passthrough DTS to my soundbar via hdmi, it is like I am missing the center channel. Super strange.. do the audio output settings of the fireTV itself impact this? I tried outputting DTS over HDMI from windows via XBMC there and it worked.

2) If I use XBMC then exit (home button, or launch KFTV from programs) netflix and prime videos don't work.. I have to reboot the device (hold down select and play/pause for 5 seconds), then everything comes up. I think cleaning cache of xbmc/netflix/kftv may have fixed it once, but that is a lot to ask of other family members.

Any ideas?

How about you exit the program properly by using Quit or the power button icon? When you use the home button XBMC is still running in the background which is why if you run the program again through applications, it resumes from where you hit the home button. Is that so much to ask to properly shut it down?
Has anyone tried android apk that prevents the unit from going in to sleep mode? We're using Yatse apps to control the box, but once it goes to sleep, it won't wake up with Yatse.

I have been scouting for apps to use, I'm trying the one I have for my old tablet RedEye Stay Awake (Free). I'll report back in 24 hours if it works Smile

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...edeye.free

Edit: Won't install apk, it says its installed when adb, but it doesn't show in the applications list
(2014-06-08, 09:39)leedemon Wrote: Has anyone tried android apk that prevents the unit from going in to sleep mode? We're using Yatse apps to control the box, but once it goes to sleep, it won't wake up with Yatse.

I have been scouting for apps to use, I'm trying the one I have for my old tablet RedEye Stay Awake (Free). I'll report back in 24 hours if it works Smile

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...edeye.free

Edit: Won't install apk, it says its installed when adb, but it doesn't show in the applications list

I just keep mine running in XBMC all the time and it never sleeps, so no extra apps needed.
I want to stay on top of the issue with XBMC installed on FTV and accessing PlayOn.

Current issue --- " XBMC identifies itself as a generic UPnP device that is not capable of playing HD video, so PlayOn has to stream SD video. This is an unfortunate limitation created by how XBMC behaves locally vs. how it behaves over a network."

A developer here for XBMC (Montellese), saw the limitation due to the way XBMC identifies itself to other UPNP peers, and was able to fix the problem with a quick build, but followed up by saying the fix would be available until 13.2, at the earliest.

Read the limitations in this forum thread.
http://www.playon.tv/forum/media-devices/xbmc/xbmc-hd

I want to make sure everyone is aware, and that this fix stays in the main-stream list of bugs to fix in XBMC.

I would really like a nightly ARM build with this UPNP fix prior to the introduction of Helix.
  • 210(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10