• 217(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-06-13, 17:37)DaveNinja Wrote: I still get the "time 0:00 and no skipping forward" problem sometimes. I upgraded to 13.1. I can get rid of the problem by restarting the Fire TV (hold play and select on the fire remote until it restarts). I havent been able to figure out what causes the problem to happen. It might start happening after the netflix app is loaded from within XBMC and then later exited and returned back to XBMC.
Anyone able to nail down what causes this?

Have you tried not loading the apps from within xbmc and always exiting xbmc properly whenever returning to ftv to see if it stops occurring?
I am probably doing something stupid but I'm stuck. I have been using this unbranded MCE remote with my Firetv with no problems. The remote works both in the FTV menus and with XBMC. I decided to "upgrade" and use a standard MCE remote because of the button mappings. So bought this "regular" MCE remote. I plugin the new ir receiver in and power on the FireTv and no keys work with the normal FTV menus or with XBMC (13.1). I then try the new remote/receiver with a Windows XBMC system and a Chrombox using Openelec and it works just fine. I also try one of my old school MCE remotes and it doesn't work with the FTV either. Yet it works fine with both of my other XBMC systems (Windows and Openelec). Can anyone think of why the cheap unbranded remote works but neither of the 2 "regular" MCE remotes don't work at all with the FTV. Also with the older MCE remote the "talk back" led flashes when I press a button but nothing happens regardless of the key that is pressed. I do understand the unbranded remote emulates key presses and acts different than the other 2 MCE remotes. But I cant figure out why I can't get a known working MCE remote to work with the FTV. If I have read the wiki correctly it should be just plug n play. I can provide a debug log if necessary but I don't think the problem is with XBMC related since the MCE remotes don't work in the FTVs menus before I even launch XBMC. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jay
(2014-06-13, 09:52)nickr Wrote:
(2014-06-12, 02:33)lunkhound Wrote:
(2014-06-12, 00:22)nickr Wrote: IMHO this is a very strange setup. XBMC is not designed to be a headless music player. Why not use logitechmediaserver and install squeeze player (android software) on the FTV?

Or buy a squeezebox, which is actually designed to do what you want :-)

Well my music library lives on a Solaris box (a ZFS server) and logitech media server doesn't work on that OS.
Yes it does (or should). It is open source and perl.

Quote:Logitech Media Server is Open Source Software and written in Perl. Logitech Media Server runs on pretty much any platform that Perl runs on, including Linux, Mac OSX, Solaris and Windows.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Lo...dia_Server

I stand corrected, thanks! I did not realise it was open source.
However, the Solaris installation instructions are outdated (its for SPARC hardware), the OpenSolaris instructions are newer, but still pretty old. It looks like it could be a bit painful to get working on my OS.
Because I'm running an obscure OS on it, I prefer to keep my fileserver as minimal and simple as possible, so I greatly prefer a music streaming client (like XBMC) that can function using only standard network file protocols like SMB and NFS.
Still, nice to know the option is there for future reference.
(2014-06-13, 08:01)wunderdrug Wrote:
(2014-06-12, 02:33)lunkhound Wrote: Well my music library lives on a Solaris box (a ZFS server) and logitech media server doesn't work on that OS. So that's why I don't use squeezebox.
Besides, I've been using XBMC as a headless music streamer for years, albeit running on a PC. It reads the music files over the network via SMB, no special server software needed. It works fine headless as long as you've got a smartphone or tablet to control it from.

I'm not sure if this will work for you if you have the same issue I do.
I am unable to get optical audio out to work if I do not have an HDMI
display connected. You can refer to my previous post on how I am
not able to get optical audio out to work with a DVI monitor (using an
HDMI to DVI adapter), but I also figured out that it would fail with no
display connected. So, in short, no HDMI display connected, no audio
out through optical.

Actually I've been able to get optical audio out without an HDMI display connected. It seems that connecting to the HDMI switch in my AV receiver (with no display device attached) is enough to satisfy the FTV. The AV receiver needs to be powered on for this to work, however.
I've ordered a cheap (less than $10) standalone HDMI switch to see if that will also work. A passive switch won't work, but an active switch MIGHT work. An HDMI repeater might also work. I expect to have the switch tomorrow, I'll report back when I've tried it.
(2014-06-13, 18:36)PK21 Wrote:
(2014-06-13, 17:37)DaveNinja Wrote: I still get the "time 0:00 and no skipping forward" problem sometimes. I upgraded to 13.1. I can get rid of the problem by restarting the Fire TV (hold play and select on the fire remote until it restarts). I havent been able to figure out what causes the problem to happen. It might start happening after the netflix app is loaded from within XBMC and then later exited and returned back to XBMC.

Have you tried not loading the apps from within xbmc and always exiting xbmc properly whenever returning to ftv to see if it stops occurring?

not yet. I'll try and see if i can figure out how to make the problem occur this weekend

I had the same issue on 13.0, then on 13.1 after upgrading... I also started having crashes on 13.1 after upgrading, so I uninstalled XBMC, rebooted the FTV and reinstalled 13.1 fresh and re-setup manually. I also didnt download as many plugins as I had before... but THE PROBLEM IS GONE Smile. so Either the fresh reinstall of 13.1 or the lack of a certain plugin being reinstalled was what fixed it for me.

Try a reinstall fresh and go from there...
(2014-06-13, 15:35)jjhtpc Wrote:
(2014-06-12, 02:33)lunkhound Wrote: Well my music library lives on a Solaris box (a ZFS server) and logitech media server doesn't work on that OS. So that's why I don't use squeezebox.
Besides, I've been using XBMC as a headless music streamer for years, albeit running on a PC. It reads the music files over the network via SMB, no special server software needed. It works fine headless as long as you've got a smartphone or tablet to control it from.

out through optical.

Yes fire is an hdcp compliant device, it requires a handshake at least at start up. It is a video device with an hdmi port and that is why it was built this way. There are no other video ports on this device. There are some 3rd party devices that can be attached that will simulate the handshake. An example of a device that can do this is a HDMI splitter.

I hope this helps.

Thanks. What does help somewhat. However, the DVI monitor I
use is a Dell P2214H, which is supposed to be HDCP compliant.
So, even though this explains why I do not get audio with no
monitor hook it, it does not explain why I'm not able to get audio
when my DVI monitor is connected. Could the HDMI to DVI adapters
I am using be the culprit? Maybe the easiest solutions is to get one of
those splitters you are talking about... they don't look too expensive.

Anyway, thanks again for you response.
(2014-06-13, 20:43)steubens Wrote:

I had the same issue on 13.0, then on 13.1 after upgrading... I also started having crashes on 13.1 after upgrading, so I uninstalled XBMC, rebooted the FTV and reinstalled 13.1 fresh and re-setup manually. I also didnt download as many plugins as I had before... but THE PROBLEM IS GONE Smile. so Either the fresh reinstall of 13.1 or the lack of a certain plugin being reinstalled was what fixed it for me.

I dont have many plug ins installed. before your fresh reinstall, were you running any of the follow addons:
-XBMC Library Updater
-Background Art downloader
-TVheadend PVR frontend
-Netflix
-Amber skin
?
(2014-06-13, 22:37)DaveNinja Wrote:
(2014-06-13, 20:43)steubens Wrote:

I dont have many plug ins installed. before your fresh reinstall, were you running any of the follow addons:
-XBMC Library Updater
-Background Art downloader
-TVheadend PVR frontend
-Netflix
-Amber skin
?

Sometimes it takes more than one reboot for it to go away.

Sometimes you can skip forward a bunch of times (or skip chapters) and then skip back and it will fix it, at least for a while. As far as I know there's no known "fix" for this.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-06-13, 19:23)lunkhound Wrote:
(2014-06-13, 09:52)nickr Wrote:
(2014-06-12, 02:33)lunkhound Wrote: Well my music library lives on a Solaris box (a ZFS server) and logitech media server doesn't work on that OS.
Yes it does (or should). It is open source and perl.

Quote:Logitech Media Server is Open Source Software and written in Perl. Logitech Media Server runs on pretty much any platform that Perl runs on, including Linux, Mac OSX, Solaris and Windows.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Lo...dia_Server

I stand corrected, thanks! I did not realise it was open source.
However, the Solaris installation instructions are outdated (its for SPARC hardware), the OpenSolaris instructions are newer, but still pretty old. It looks like it could be a bit painful to get working on my OS.
Because I'm running an obscure OS on it, I prefer to keep my fileserver as minimal and simple as possible, so I greatly prefer a music streaming client (like XBMC) that can function using only standard network file protocols like SMB and NFS.
Still, nice to know the option is there for future reference.

(2014-06-13, 20:46)wunderdrug Wrote:
(2014-06-13, 15:35)jjhtpc Wrote:
(2014-06-13, 08:01)wunderdrug Wrote: I'm not sure if this will work for you if you have the same issue I do.
out through optical.

Yes fire is an hdcp compliant device, it requires a handshake at least at start up. It is a video device with an hdmi port and that is why it was built this way. There are no other video ports on this device. There are some 3rd party devices that can be attached that will simulate the handshake. An example of a device that can do this is a HDMI splitter.

I hope this helps.

Thanks. What does help somewhat. However, the DVI monitor I
use is a Dell P2214H, which is supposed to be HDCP compliant.
So, even though this explains why I do not get audio with no
monitor hook it, it does not explain why I'm not able to get audio
when my DVI monitor is connected. Could the HDMI to DVI adapters
I am using be the culprit? Maybe the easiest solutions is to get one of
those splitters you are talking about... they don't look too expensive.

Anyway, thanks again for you response.

Amazon says fire tv does not support dvi.
Use this: http://www.dx.com/p/hdv-m612-hdmi-to-hdm...5u-aBaSOz0

Even if you don't use the analog audio output, the adapter also serves as a way to make whatever box you plug it into think it is looking at a generic TV. I've used mine a couple of times just to correct the occasional odd issue with a DVI monitor or resolution oddity.

EDIT: I haven't used this one before, but I bet it works in a similar way, and it provides its own optical output (worst case scenario): http://www.dx.com/p/hdmi-to-hdmi-audio-h...5u-WxaSOz0
I can't get the amazon fire tv remote to work with the xbmc keyboard. Any suggestions?
(2014-06-14, 16:29)Tetsch23 Wrote: I can't get the amazon fire tv remote to work with the xbmc keyboard. Any suggestions?

Did you go to Settings > System > Input Devices and enable "Remote control sends keyboard presses" already?
(2014-06-11, 02:16)dgeezer Wrote: An update to the Logitech Smart hub today has enabled a Bluetooth connection to the fire TV.

I got mine to pair up and some of the keys work in XBMC. I haven't had time to work up a keymap yet but this is great for my setup. I can get rid of the Ortek infrared reciever. I have the Logitech Simple remote with Smart Hub. Amazon Page

I have the same. The thing I am finding is the the stop button and back button are registering as the same. Even if I use the keymap program they both have the same ID so I believe it is something Logitech has to fix. Also the 3 line button does not exist as of yet in logitechs software.
(2014-06-13, 19:46)lunkhound Wrote:

out through optical.

Actually I've been able to get optical audio out without an HDMI display connected. It seems that connecting to the HDMI switch in my AV receiver (with no display device attached) is enough to satisfy the FTV. The AV receiver needs to be powered on for this to work, however.
I've ordered a cheap (less than $10) standalone HDMI switch to see if that will also work. A passive switch won't work, but an active switch MIGHT work. An HDMI repeater might also work. I expect to have the switch tomorrow, I'll report back when I've tried it.
If your $10 option works, please report back, as I am not sure which of the many options to try. I'd like the first one I buy to work. ?
  • 217(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10