• 219(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-06-16, 00:37)jjhtpc Wrote: Steps
1. download tr.apk from towelroot.com
2. Adb install tr.apk
3. Launch tr.apk on fire
4. Install a file manager (your choice there are many es file manager worked for me)
5. Adb push xbmc.png. you can find app icons on the xbmc wiki.
6.replace all of the images in the /sdcard/imagecache/com.amazon.venzia/com.adrise.profilms/B00IIPRAZB4 folder with the xbmc.png image making sure to retain the original images name (ex thumbnail_4312.....) you can get the original name by highlighting the original png and then hitting properties and copy full path. Delete the original them rename xbmc.png to the full path paste removing folder info.

7. Repeat this for all of the images in this folder.

8. Reboot the fire TV and voila the home screen app for classic TV is an xbmc icon.

9. Dance around because now you can leave the fire TV on the home screen and your wife can find it.

10. MOST IMPORTANT STEP donate to geohot the developer who cracked the permissions for root.

How does changing the png file change the association so it will launch xbmc? I can understand how the above changes the ico but theres nothing there to redirect the app?
(2014-06-16, 03:25)garvani Wrote:
2. Adb install tr.apk
3. Launch tr.apk on fire
4. Install a file manager (your choice there are many es file manager worked for me)
6.replace all of the images in the /sdcard/imagecache/com.amazon.venzia/com.adrise.profilms/B00IIPRAZB4 folder with the xbmc.png image making sure to retain the original images name (ex thumbnail_4312.....) you can get the original name by highlighting the original png and then hitting properties and copy full path. Delete the original them rename xbmc.png to the full path paste removing folder info.

8. Reboot the fire TV and voila the home screen app for classic TV is an xbmc icon.

9. Dance around because now you can leave the fire TV on the home screen and your wife can find it.

10. MOST IMPORTANT STEP donate to geohot the developer who cracked the permissions for root.

How does changing the png file change the association so it will launch xbmc? I can understand how the above changes the ico but theres nothing there to redirect the app?
You still have to use llama as described in the wiki.
yeah i just reread your original post and noticed llama. Hopefully now root is out we can do away with llama and or even the amazon launcher. I dont mind the launcher itself, if it was easily changeable
Hopefully this root allows us to strip the amazon firetv to the bare minimum (more free memory for xbmc) so it directly launches into xbmc, and skip the whole aftv launcher.
(2014-06-16, 03:38)Senaxx Wrote: Hopefully this root allows us to strip the amazon firetv to the bare minimum (more free memory for xbmc) so it directly launches into xbmc, and skip the whole aftv launcher.

Could probably do this with Xposed BootManager.
(2014-06-16, 03:10)esaba Wrote: Also, important to block OTA updates to keep root

I used the second method but i selected the hosts and used the # option, so in the list they appear grey out. The way described in the tutorial i don't think just adding the hosts we are blocking them. Is that incorrect? Should i just do like it says in the tutorial?

thanks
you only use the # to cancel out that line of code. basically making anything using the host file skip the additions you made and get updates.. you want to make sure you dont "REM"
or "exclude (#)" those lines of code.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
ok dukester. So i just did it the way described in the tutorial.

Thanks
(2014-06-16, 03:27)jjhtpc Wrote:
(2014-06-16, 03:25)garvani Wrote:
2. Adb install tr.apk
3. Launch tr.apk on fire

You still have to use llama as described in the wiki.

So, you have to use llama and classic tv for "launching xbmc from an existing app" first? Is that correct? Does it matter which llama event from the wiki is used? I'm also confused as to step 6
External USB storage now working with XBMC. Here is a guide on how to set it up.
Is there no automount? i havnt used stickmount for ages but on my nexus 7 it automounts anything i insert instead of having to go through all those steps
I just got done with rooting my FTV. Very happy here. Big Grin
The Amazon FireTV Side App Installer has been updated to add root.

Changelog v0.7
Added root

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2736774
Apart from the feel-good factor.. what can we do extra with root that we couldn't do before? Mess with app contents? (i.e. the lama hack to use another app to start XBMC is enough for me, I don't see things that root will allow more, other than make proper backups with everything)
External usb storage is a big plus with the root.
  • 219(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10