• 222(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-06-17, 20:59)sufreak Wrote: I'm giving serious thought to the Amazon FireTV. I don't own any android devices yet, but I did have one question.. why does the XBMC app have to be side loaded? I thought the Android stores permitted anything in them?

Because Team XBMC has not and is probably never going to submit XBMC to the Amazon app store.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I'm having a playback issue. It seems like I'm the only one having this problem. It occurs on 13.0, 13.1, and nightly releases. I've tried hardware and software encoding. I've tried smb and nfs.

About 30 minutes after Fire TV starts up, the video playback in XBMC has a half second of no sound every 6 seconds. I restart Fire TV, and everything works again. I will get the logcat output tonight, but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before.
(2014-06-17, 23:15)cson777 Wrote: I'm having a playback issue. It seems like I'm the only one having this problem. It occurs on 13.0, 13.1, and nightly releases. I've tried hardware and software encoding. I've tried smb and nfs.

About 30 minutes after Fire TV starts up, the video playback in XBMC has a half second of no sound every 6 seconds. I restart Fire TV, and everything works again. I will get the logcat output tonight, but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

just watched 2.5 hours of 6gb 720p video had no problem. it stopped once at 2 hours.20 minutes. i had to stat back into xbmc. but no big deal. runnign 13.1
Hi,

I'm trying to "purchase" the Classic TV app, but am unable to due to geographical restrictions Undecided

Has anyone tested other apps as candidates to put XBMC front-and-center on the FireTV?

Sincerely
Mikkel
(2014-06-17, 23:59)mikkeland Wrote: Hi,

I'm trying to "purchase" the Classic TV app, but am unable to due to geographical restrictions Undecided

Has anyone tested other apps as candidates to put XBMC front-and-center on the FireTV?

Sincerely
Mikkel

I am using MBC demand and it works perfectly.
(2014-06-18, 00:14)underworld123 Wrote:

Sincerely
Mikkel

Thanks, but unfortunately it's the same thing Undecided
(2014-06-18, 00:21)mikkeland Wrote:
(2014-06-18, 00:14)underworld123 Wrote:

Sincerely
Mikkel

Change your country to USA from the Amazon website, find a dummy USA address, then you will need to download the apps you want directly from the Amazon Website and finally you need to download again the apps from your FireTV.
(2014-06-18, 00:47)innovaciones Wrote:
(2014-06-18, 00:21)mikkeland Wrote:
(2014-06-18, 00:14)underworld123 Wrote: I am using MBC demand and it works perfectly.

Change your country to USA from the Amazon website, find a dummy USA address, then you will need to download the apps you want directly from the Amazon Website and finally you need to download again the apps from your FireTV.

Thank you, but I believe I've found an application that works for me: Now This News
Apparently no geographical restrictions on that one :-)

Follow JJHTPCs directions regarding changing the icon, and with a slight correction it works beautifully.
In his post, he states the directory to be
Code:
/sdcard/imagecache
, but it should be
Code:
/sdcard/.imagecache

The complete steps I followed was
  1. Install Now This News
  2. Launch Now This News
  3. Install Llama and create event as described in the wiki (replacing Classic TV with Now This News)
  4. download tr.apk from towelroot.com
  5. adb start-server
  6. adb connect IP Address
  7. adb install tr.apk
  8. Launch tr.apk
  9. Download XBMC icon
  10. Save XBMC icon as PNG in previewsize (365x365)
  11. Save XBMC icon as PNG in thumbnail size (121x121)
  12. adb push thumbnail_e9b96ad2ca275e790523023ff450198a69b1d380e59a44f95d46a1c0c1d8ad52.png /sdcard/.imagecache/com.amazon.venezia/com.nowthisnews.vidplay/B00FG4MO04/
  13. adb push preview_6e546d939db6edb4aaa0a5926e0ab403b84b3d22d1917ece60278cb10a990632.png /sdcard/.imagecache/com.amazon.venezia/com.nowthisnews.vidplay/B00FG4MO04/
  14. Reboot Fire TV
  15. Enjoy the XBMC launching

Awesome work everyone!

/mikkel
(2014-06-18, 01:11)mikkeland Wrote:
(2014-06-18, 00:47)innovaciones Wrote:
(2014-06-18, 00:21)mikkeland Wrote: Thanks, but unfortunately it's the same thing Undecided

Thank you, but I believe I've found an application that works for me: Now This News
Apparently no geographical restrictions on that one :-)

Follow JJHTPCs directions regarding changing the icon, and with a slight correction it works beautifully.
In his post, he states the directory to be
Code:
/sdcard/imagecache
, but it should be
Code:
/sdcard/.imagecache

The complete steps I followed was
  1. Install Now This News
  2. Launch Now This News
  3. Install Llama and create event as described in the wiki (replacing Classic TV with Now This News)
  4. download tr.apk from towelroot.com
  5. adb start-server
  6. adb connect IP Address
  7. adb install tr.apk
  8. Launch tr.apk
  9. Download XBMC icon
  10. Save XBMC icon as PNG in previewsize (365x365)
  11. Save XBMC icon as PNG in thumbnail size (121x121)
  12. adb push thumbnail_e9b96ad2ca275e790523023ff450198a69b1d380e59a44f95d46a1c0c1d8ad52.png /sdcard/.imagecache/com.amazon.venezia/com.nowthisnews.vidplay/B00FG4MO04/
  13. adb push preview_6e546d939db6edb4aaa0a5926e0ab403b84b3d22d1917ece60278cb10a990632.png /sdcard/.imagecache/com.amazon.venezia/com.nowthisnews.vidplay/B00FG4MO04/
  14. Reboot Fire TV
  15. Enjoy the XBMC launching

Awesome work everyone!

/mikkel

have you thought about trying firedTV if your not using amazon stuff much(which i take it you arent). its a good option for the time being for me and its wife/kid friendly, also with root + enabling installing from unknown sources with sqleditor make it possible to just download and install games and apps right from chrome which all show up on the firedTV launcher.. it looks to be a work in progress with an active developer so im sure its only going to get better.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
FiredTV Launcher (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2782307) is a 'replacement' for Amazon's Home/Launcher.
adbFire is a companion program for FireTV & XBMC, (Gotham only). It allows you to sideload XBMC (and other apps) without the hassle of downloading the Android SDK and other tools. Additionally, it allows you to copy files to and from XBMC, backup XBMC, root the FireTV and more.

Download adbFire beta 2 for Windows and OS X here.
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
(2014-06-17, 21:24)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2014-06-17, 20:59)sufreak Wrote: I'm giving serious thought to the Amazon FireTV. I don't own any android devices yet, but I did have one question.. why does the XBMC app have to be side loaded? I thought the Android stores permitted anything in them?

Because Team XBMC has not and is probably never going to submit XBMC to the Amazon app store.

Well, we probably would if we thought it would be approved, but the DTS/AC3 purge on Google Play, OUYA, and other app stores seem to suggest otherwise.
(2014-06-18, 09:04)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-06-17, 21:24)Tinwarble Wrote:

Well, we probably would if we thought it would be approved, but the DTS/AC3 purge on Google Play, OUYA, and other app stores seem to suggest otherwise.

Thank you for the response. I'm not familiar with the purge, but I'm sure you guys would submit it if you thought it would be approved. Is there harm in trying?
I wrote about it here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...A_store.3F

Quote:During the time between XBMC v12 and v13, an unofficial version of XBMC in the OUYA store (XBMC on OUYA) had to remove software decoding of AC3 and DTS by demand of the companies that owned those audio formats. The only way to enable software decoding of those formats would be to pay a licensing fee. The same thing happened for several video player apps on the Google Play store.

Well, crap.

Because of this, Team XBMC is considering their options. We don't want to remove features or ever charge money for XBMC just to expose it in an app store. We also want to make XBMC easily accessible to as many people as reasonably possible.

For the time being, you can always sideload the full version of XBMC from the apk downloads from xbmc.org.

It also happened on the iOS App Store. Some paid video players now have either AC3 or DTS, but none of the free ones do. I think VLC has been able to sneak by using a hidden setting (something about using Canadian locations for time zone settings...), but I haven't heard much about that in a while.

So basically we're considering our options right now. We haven't given up hope just yet.
Thanks. While I certainly can appreciate your efforts, and I don't speak for everyone, I'd happily pay for an official app. You guys spend a lot of time doing this, and it doesn't seem unreasonable to have an app in the stores. I'd pay $5-$10 easily for it. I'm sure others would too.

But again, I can only speak for me.
  • 222(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10