• 248(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-07-10, 17:30)schwang Wrote: Ok, here's my latest bit of frustration. I'm setting up Foldermount on my aftv in order to move the thumbnails to a usb stick so xbmc won't take up all the memory. However, the aftv remote won't navigate the menu for foldermount! So, I have to pull the usb stick and connect my wireless mouse, which allows me to navigate now. However, when I click on assign a destination, it only recognizes the internal sd card because now the usb stick is no longer plugged in! Any suggestions?

No expert here but adding a USB hub (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hub) should allow you to have both the USB stick and mouse connected at the same time.
I thought i had escaped the 0:00 monster but it got me again last night. I had turned off Mediacodec under Acceleration and had a good couple days without the 0:00 problem. I forgot to grab the log unfortunately. XBMC was working fine and the I started up the WWE Network fire tv app from within XBMC. I've been having problems with the WWE app; i've only gotten video to play on it once out of 4 tries. It crashed twice sending me back to xbmc. I quit xbmc and went to WWE app from the fire tv menu and started it from there; it crashed again. So i reopened xbmc and found that the 0:00 problem had returned. I really wish i would have thought to grab a log before restarting the Fire TV (which fixed the problem).
I think i might factory reset the Fire TV and reinstall everything again. I want the WWE app to work and havent heard of anyone else having a problem with it so i must have screwed up something along the way
(2014-07-10, 18:00)DaveNinja Wrote: I thought i had escaped the 0:00 monster but it got me again last night. I had turned off Mediacodec under Acceleration and had a good couple days without the 0:00 problem. I forgot to grab the log unfortunately. XBMC was working fine and the I started up the WWE Network fire tv app from within XBMC. I've been having problems with the WWE app; i've only gotten video to play on it once out of 4 tries. It crashed twice sending me back to xbmc. I quit xbmc and went to WWE app from the fire tv menu and started it from there; it crashed again. So i reopened xbmc and found that the 0:00 problem had returned. I really wish i would have thought to grab a log before restarting the Fire TV (which fixed the problem).
I think i might factory reset the Fire TV and reinstall everything again. I want the WWE app to work and havent heard of anyone else having a problem with it so i must have screwed up something along the way

The WWE app has been quite finicky on my Fire TV as well, regardless of whether I start it within XBMC or the FTV menu. Rebooting every time before I run it seems to be the best solution.
(2014-07-10, 17:30)schwang Wrote: Ok, here's my latest bit of frustration. I'm setting up Foldermount on my aftv in order to move the thumbnails to a usb stick so xbmc won't take up all the memory. However, the aftv remote won't navigate the menu for foldermount! So, I have to pull the usb stick and connect my wireless mouse, which allows me to navigate now. However, when I click on assign a destination, it only recognizes the internal sd card because now the usb stick is no longer plugged in! Any suggestions?

Well, first you don't need foldermount to move your thumbnails to a USB drive, you only need stickmount.

Second, what app are you using to move the thumbnails?
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-07-10, 18:43)Tinwarble Wrote:

Well, first you don't need foldermount to move your thumbnails to a USB drive, you only need stickmount.

Second, what app are you using to move the thumbnails?

I thought I needed a combination of both. Stickmount for the drive and foldermount to move. Isnt foldermount the app to movethe thumbnails? I thought once its set up up it would automatically move the thumbs to the usb stick.
Minor update being rolled out http://www.firetvnews.com/new-minor-fire...lling-out/

Doesn't appear to affect rooting.

(2014-07-10, 18:55)schwang Wrote: I thought I needed a combination of both. Stickmount for the drive and foldermount to move. Isnt foldermount the app to movethe thumbnails? I thought once its set up up it would automatically move the thumbs to the usb stick.

No, foldermount allows you to apps ( or at least their data folders) to a USB drive.

You only need stickmount to be able to read/write to a USB drive. Use ES File Explorer to move the thumbnails to /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1/[yourfoldername]
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
MPEG2 confusion:
  • The Wiki claims that MPEG2 is not decoded in hardware: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ama...own_issues
  • This page suggests it's unknown (has a "?" for MPEG2 hardware decdoding): http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=And...e_chipsets
  • When I turn libstagefright on, it says it's using the "stf-mpeg2" decoder, I see about 30% of two CPUs being used (about the same as H.264 playback with stf-h264)
  • When I turn on software decoding only, I see about 70% of all 4 CPUs being used with (I think) the "ff-mpeg2" decoder being used.

So, what's the deal? Can this thing MPEG2 hardware decode or not?
(2014-07-10, 18:56)Tinwarble Wrote: Minor update being rolled out http://www.firetvnews.com/new-minor-fire...lling-out/

Doesn't appear to affect rooting.

(2014-07-10, 18:55)schwang Wrote: I thought I needed a combination of both. Stickmount for the drive and foldermount to move. Isnt foldermount the app to movethe thumbnails? I thought once its set up up it would automatically move the thumbs to the usb stick.

No, foldermount allows you to apps ( or at least their data folders) to a USB drive.

You only need stickmount to be able to read/write to a USB drive. Use ES File Explorer to move the thumbnails to /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1/[yourfoldername]

3 questions though. Do I sideload es file explorer onto ghe firetv? And, I believe that has to be manually done everytime right? It's not automatic? When xbmc loads up all of the thumbs, wont it just put it all right back into internal storage?

Im trying tk set it so that xbmc doesn't use all the internal memory up. I want it so that thd thjmbs are on the usb drive. Xbmc will look there instead of the internal memory.

Thx
Yes you have to sideload ES. No, you don't have to do it manually every time, That is what the path substitution in the advancedsettings.xml does.

Once you set the path subsitution (then exit and restart XBMC) that is what it will always use for the thumbnails.

Here's the steps:

Root the AFTV using towelroot. http://www.firetvnews.com/how-to-root-th...n-fire-tv/
Sideload stickmount and ES File Explorer.
Attach your USB drive to the AFTV
Lauch stickmount and grant it SU permission
Open ES File Explorer (make sure you have show hidden files selected) and navigate to /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/
Select Thumbnails, press and hold the "Select" button until there's a check mark on the folder
Select copy or cut.
Navigate to /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1/ then Paste.

Now either edit or create a "advancedsettings.xml" file and paste in:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <pathsubstitution>
      <substitute>
         <from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>
         <to>/storage/emulated/0/usbstorage/sda1/Thumnails/</to>
      </substitute>
   </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

Alternately you should also be able to use for the <from>

Code:
<from>special://Thumbnails/</from>

Then copy the "advancedsettings.xml" to /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/userdata/
(2014-07-10, 19:37)Tinwarble Wrote: Yes you have to sideload ES. No, you don't have to do it manually every time, That is what the path substitution in the advancedsettings.xml does.

Once you set the path subsitution (then exit and restart XBMC) that is what it will always use for the thumbnails.

Here's the steps:

Root the AFTV using towelroot. http://www.firetvnews.com/how-to-root-th...n-fire-tv/
Sideload stickmount and ES File Explorer.
Attach your USB drive to the AFTV
Lauch stickmount and grant it SU permission
Open ES File Explorer (make sure you have show hidden files selected) and navigate to /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/
Select Thumbnails, press and hold the "Select" button until there's a check mark on the folder
Select copy or cut.
Navigate to /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1/ then Paste.

Now either edit or create a "advancedsettings.xml" file and paste in:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <pathsubstitution>
      <substitute>
         <from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>
         <to>/storage/emulated/0/usbstorage/sda1/Thumnails/</to>
      </substitute>
   </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

Alternately you should also be able to use for the <from>

Code:
<from>special://Thumbnails/</from>

Then copy the "advancedsettings.xml" to /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/userdata/

Sorry but you lost me when you got to creating the xml file. Where do I create andor type in this info? In es file explorer? I've done a few things in android but nothing this involved. Sorry for so many questions.
You can create it in Android or you create it on you PC and use adb push to copy it to the AFTV.

On you PC just create a new text file then rename t to "advancedsettings.xml". Then open it, paste the above in it, then save it. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...ttings.xml

Then use adb push.
Thanks, Tinwarble, for your very clear step-by-step instructions.

Much appreciated!
(2014-07-10, 20:07)Tinwarble Wrote: You can create it in Android or you create it on you PC and use adb push to copy it to the AFTV.

On you PC just create a new text file then rename t to "advancedsettings.xml". Then open it, paste the above in it, then save it. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...ttings.xml

Then use adb push.

Thanks. I will give it a try. Just create the text file on the pc using Word?
(2014-07-10, 20:13)schwang Wrote: Thanks. I will give it a try. Just create the text file on the pc using Word?

no just use Notepad http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001359.htm
(2014-07-10, 20:07)Tinwarble Wrote: You can create it in Android or you create it on you PC and use adb push to copy it to the AFTV.

Then use adb push.

Not to add any more confusion, but if you use the StickMount + FolderMount option described on firetvnews, would the thumbnail folder be part of the data moved and essentially do the same thing as pathsubstitution? Any idea what would give you best performance?

I'd like to explore some other options as I'm not too pleased with the performance of pathsubstitution.
  • 248(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10