• 249(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-07-10, 20:07)Tinwarble Wrote: You can create it in Android or you create it on you PC and use adb push to copy it to the AFTV.

On you PC just create a new text file then rename t to "advancedsettings.xml". Then open it, paste the above in it, then save it. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...ttings.xml

Then use adb push.

Thanks. I will give it a try. Just create the text file on the pc using Word?
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you all know that installing apks from any source is possible with out side loading!!!! This means installing using drop box, the web or any android app store. I decided to put mine up on ebay.

Fire TV is the Stuff!!!
(2014-07-10, 20:45)schwang Wrote:
(2014-07-10, 20:07)Tinwarble Wrote: You can create it in Android or you create it on you PC and use adb push to copy it to the AFTV.

On you PC just create a new text file then rename t to "advancedsettings.xml". Then open it, paste the above in it, then save it. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...ttings.xml

Then use adb push.

Thanks. I will give it a try. Just create the text file on the pc using Word?
word is not a text editor. Use notepad++
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-10, 19:37)Tinwarble Wrote: Yes you have to sideload ES. No, you don't have to do it manually every time, That is what the path substitution in the advancedsettings.xml does.

Once you set the path subsitution (then exit and restart XBMC) that is what it will always use for the thumbnails.

Here's the steps:

Root the AFTV using towelroot. http://www.firetvnews.com/how-to-root-th...n-fire-tv/
Sideload stickmount and ES File Explorer.
Attach your USB drive to the AFTV
Lauch stickmount and grant it SU permission
Open ES File Explorer (make sure you have show hidden files selected) and navigate to /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/
Select Thumbnails, press and hold the "Select" button until there's a check mark on the folder
Select copy or cut.
Navigate to /sdcard/usbStorage/sda1/ then Paste.

Now either edit or create a "advancedsettings.xml" file and paste in:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <pathsubstitution>
      <substitute>
         <from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>
         <to>/storage/emulated/0/usbstorage/sda1/Thumnails/</to>
      </substitute>
   </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

Alternately you should also be able to use for the <from>

Code:
<from>special://Thumbnails/</from>

Then copy the "advancedsettings.xml" to /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/userdata/

OK. I think I got it working. Is there an easy way to confirm that I did everything right? BTW thanks for all your patience. I appreciate the help!
Delete everything in the original ./userdata/Thumbnails folder.

If you did everything correctly, once you delete everything your images should still display.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Plug the usb device into your pc. If the thumbnails folder has artwork in it, you know it's working.
(2014-07-10, 18:59)angeloaz Wrote: MPEG2 confusion:
  • The Wiki claims that MPEG2 is not decoded in hardware: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ama...own_issues
  • This page suggests it's unknown (has a "?" for MPEG2 hardware decdoding): http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=And...e_chipsets
  • When I turn libstagefright on, it says it's using the "stf-mpeg2" decoder, I see about 30% of two CPUs being used (about the same as H.264 playback with stf-h264)
  • When I turn on software decoding only, I see about 70% of all 4 CPUs being used with (I think) the "ff-mpeg2" decoder being used.

So, what's the deal? Can this thing MPEG2 hardware decode or not?

Sounds like you've just verified for us that MPEG2 hardware decoding does now work on Amazon Fire TV. Anyone else want to confirm?
(2014-07-10, 17:30)schwang Wrote: Ok, here's my latest bit of frustration. I'm setting up Foldermount on my aftv in order to move the thumbnails to a usb stick so xbmc won't take up all the memory. However, the aftv remote won't navigate the menu for foldermount! So, I have to pull the usb stick and connect my wireless mouse, which allows me to navigate now. However, when I click on assign a destination, it only recognizes the internal sd card because now the usb stick is no longer plugged in! Any suggestions?

USB Hub? I haven't tried it personally though.
(2014-07-10, 06:21)finalheaven Wrote:
(2014-07-09, 18:03)jocala Wrote: I use these lines in advancedsettings.xml

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>special://profile/Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>smb://bignas1/media/xbmc/Thumbnails/</to>
  </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

It offloads my thumbnails to my nas.

I can't speak for the addon backup. I use the backup I built into adbFire. It works fine for me.

Guys I have a question about this pathsubstitution.
I have mapped it to my smb share which have a password. I have added the path as smb source under XBMC setting but still getting usermane password error in xbmc log. So added user name and pass in the <to>smb://username:password@bignas1/media/xbmc/Thumbnails/</to> line to get it to work. Now I can see the Thumbdb structure in my smb share with all the artworks but in XBMC library only a few thumbs shows up that too incomplete poster or fanart or something else. Note: My test Library is very small around 10 movies.

Now question is - is it because of smb performance and can't expect more than that or am I missing something here in the setup. This missing thumbs actually killing the XBMC experience. Here I am being proactive for my real Library which have hundreds of movies and TVs.
What would be the best option smb,USB or native to Fire TV?

Thanks.
Hi,
This is my AFTV with both mediacodec and libstagefright enabled streaming from my Vu Plus Solo2 using Live TV + Vu+ addon.
Sorry for bad quality but it does seem (not sure though) to use the HW acceleration (stf-mpeg2). It's a SD stream. For HD ones my decoder uses H264 and it also seems HW accelerated.

Regards
Pino.

(2014-07-11, 00:48)Ned Scott Wrote: Sounds like you've just verified for us that MPEG2 hardware decoding does now work on Amazon Fire TV. Anyone else want to confirm?
I currently have a Boxee Box, with XBMC on that. It will not play DTS-HD on it,
So I am looking at getting a Fire TV, and put XBMC on it. My questions are, will it play DTS-HD and my MKV files? My MKV files are on my Synology NAS. I can not use Plex Server on the NAS, because it has an ARM processor, and will not transcode my files. So having XBMC on Fire TV, will it access my local shares, and play the files without transcoding?

Thanks
Play files with DTS-HD, yes, pass-through HD audio NO. It will extract the DTS core and pass-through that.

Mkv is just a container, so whether it will play them depends on the codec.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks. If I setup my Synology NAS, with Media Server package, will Amazon Fire HD with XBMC be able to play the files over DLNA/UPnP?
No need for the Media Server package, just share the relevant folders on you Synology, using whatever protocol you want, and add them as sources in XBMC. The Media server package will allow for DLNA?UPnP sharing, but why go through the extra steps?
I used to block Ota throught Method 1 and now it is unblocked. Today i just check update, but i get a massage said : update error
My device in 51.1.1.0_user_511069920, used to root, factory reset after try a root and block Ota
Im wondering if someone help me
  • 249(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10