• 250(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
Hey folks. Just a quick question. Ppl say often that Xbmc for android suffers from not offering a 24p mode or change refresh to.match video. Is that true of the fire TV? I just speculate in a small way that *maybe* since it's primarily a media playback.box, it might offer that?
I'm trying to get XMBC to boot when turning on my Fire TV.

As far as getting XBMC to boot when turning on the unit, the wiki says 3.4 Xposed and rbox module (Requires root) which is the easiest/cleanest way to do this. That is what I am attempting to follow. Good success with this? Also, do I have to block future updates after root? Or is it ok to leave it as is
(2014-07-12, 12:52)PantsOnFire Wrote: Hey folks. Just a quick question. Ppl say often that Xbmc for android suffers from not offering a 24p mode or change refresh to.match video. Is that true of the fire TV? I just speculate in a small way that *maybe* since it's primarily a media playback.box, it might offer that?

No Android platforms support display frame rate switching.
(2014-07-12, 12:52)PantsOnFire Wrote: Hey folks. Just a quick question. Ppl say often that Xbmc for android suffers from not offering a 24p mode or change refresh to.match video. Is that true of the fire TV? I just speculate in a small way that *maybe* since it's primarily a media playback.box, it might offer that?

A lot of computer (x86) boxes can't do perfect 24hz as well, for certain GPUs. Depending on your content and TV, you may or may not even notice it. I normally don't notice it, but if I look for it I can sometimes see judder in some scenes, but not enough that I would replace my hardware.
(2014-07-12, 18:44)Ned Scott Wrote:

A lot of computer (x86) boxes can't do perfect 24hz as well, for certain GPUs. Depending on your content and TV, you may or may not even notice it. I normally don't notice it, but if I look for it I can sometimes see judder in some scenes, but not enough that I would replace my hardware.

There is a pretty huge difference between the 24/23.976Hz bug (which some GPUs have) and being forced to watch everything at 60Hz (or 50Hz) with no frame rate switching.

With my old Acer Revo RL80 (which was a Celeron 1007U device with the 24Hz bug) I got perfect 25/50Hz, and automatic switching to not quite perfect 24Hz and 60Hz based on content frame rate. The bug was annoying - but nowhere near as bad as being forced to watch 24Hz content with 3:2 pulldown, or watching 25/50Hz content at 60Hz. Both of which are deal breakers for me (and many others) - and why Android is a non-starter for many of us outside 60Hz-land. (People in 60Hz territories appear to be less sensitive to 3:2 pulldown as it is in widespread use there - and "normal")

I've since replace the RL80 with a 2955U based Chromebox which is pretty close to perfect for me. (If it did 4:2:2 1080i H264 I'd be over the moon! Still need to revert to the i5 NUC for that content - or watch 4:2:0 H264 transcodes.)
(2014-07-12, 16:10)popcornmix Wrote:

It appears that the new Android TV platform will do it, developers have a preliminary edition but there are no consumer devices yet.
(2014-07-12, 22:55)hmagoo Wrote:
(2014-07-12, 16:10)popcornmix Wrote:

It appears that the new Android TV platform will do it, developers have a preliminary edition but there are no consumer devices yet.

Hurrah. To deliver 24p Netflix and 25p catch-up in Europe it had to happen.
(2014-07-12, 15:17)gizbug Wrote: I'm trying to get XMBC to boot when turning on my Fire TV.

As far as getting XBMC to boot when turning on the unit, the wiki says 3.4 Xposed and rbox module (Requires root) which is the easiest/cleanest way to do this. That is what I am attempting to follow. Good success with this? Also, do I have to block future updates after root? Or is it ok to leave it as is

It is not terrible to do. I use the xbmc launcher. To get the launcher you either have to download it to another rooted android device or you have to pull the code from github and package it (not hard, but somef work). After you get it setup though it works flawless as if xbmc is the launcher. I chose xbmc launcher as opposed to the custom version as I like to be able to install a more recent version as I see fit.

Basically install xbmc launcher onto another device and then adb install to aftv. Pretty easy the rest of the steps are detailed fairly well with the installing exposed and the module.
Hi all,

I've been reading this thread for awhile but have a strange issue with my ftv.

I have gotham installed (final) and I'm getting stuttering and sometimes get out of sync audio/vid with lots of dropped frames.
I just did a factory reset in hopes to resolve the problem with no success. Most the vids where we notice this are mkv's, the latest one was 720p in an mkv container with DTS audio.
Its almost like the device is running out of memory or possibly over heating...

The same videos play flawlessly on the boxee box, which has far less hardware resources.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers
Hey all,

Love running xbmc as a mythtv front-end on the AFTV ... wondering if anyone is having sporadic crash issues though. This app works great, but occasionally I'll get the xbmc shutdown and find myself back at the AFTV home page. I'm using the Llama setup to start xbmc automatically which works fine, and I had these problems before, so I'm assuming it is an xbmc/android issue.

Has anyone seen extended (days) of stability with this and if so, would you be willing to share your config?

Thanks!
(2014-07-13, 17:09)micco Wrote: Hi all,

I've been reading this thread for awhile but have a strange issue with my ftv.

I have gotham installed (final) and I'm getting stuttering and sometimes get out of sync audio/vid with lots of dropped frames.
I just did a factory reset in hopes to resolve the problem with no success. Most the vids where we notice this are mkv's, the latest one was 720p in an mkv container with DTS audio.
Its almost like the device is running out of memory or possibly over heating...

The same videos play flawlessly on the boxee box, which has far less hardware resources.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers
I find that I need to have libstagefright enabled to playback 720p or greater streams and disabled to play xvid files without stuttering. hopefully I don't have too many 720p xvid files to play. Smile
Couple of quick questions. What do people use for Acceleration for the Fire TV? Should we have both Media Codec and Libstagfright enabled? We watch a lot of DVD rips so I'd really like the ability to turn on deinterlace.

Also, fast-forward causes everything to look choppy. Is there any way around this?

Thanks.
If you have both enabled only one will run, i think it is media codec sense that's the official one. basically the only reason to turn off any of them is to force it to use the hack hardware acceleration or software.

Is it choppy when streaming? If so then you can increase the buffer through advancesettings.xml, if its the DVD IDK much about that.
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 1024MB @ 1.0Ghz w/OSMC
--Decommissioned-- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB @ 1.0Ghz w/ 3TB USB Drive Running Open Media Vault
XBMC has been working fine for over a month. Last night no movies would play, and my shares would "timeout" when trying to view directly through "videos --> files".

I force stopped XBMC, restarted the Fire and my computer, and reset my modem and router.

When I started everything back up, same issue, the Fire just can't seem to see my shares although Internet on the Fire works, I can load and play Netflix, so it's on my network. Nothing else has changed, I watched a movie Saturday night, and nothing in my home had even been restarted prior to the issues Sunday.

Any ideas? I'm running 13.0 and I might just up update to 13.1 but I wasn't having issues so I was going to hold off.
(2014-07-14, 18:03)essential Wrote: XBMC has been working fine for over a month. Last night no movies would play, and my shares would "timeout" when trying to view directly through "videos --> files".

I force stopped XBMC, restarted the Fire and my computer, and reset my modem and router.

When I started everything back up, same issue, the Fire just can't seem to see my shares although Internet on the Fire works, I can load and play Netflix, so it's on my network. Nothing else has changed, I watched a movie Saturday night, and nothing in my home had even been restarted prior to the issues Sunday.

Any ideas? I'm running 13.0 and I might just up update to 13.1 but I wasn't having issues so I was going to hold off.

Did the IP address change on your Fire TV?
  • 250(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10