• 5(current)
'DITisTV' violating XBMC's GPLv2. Refusing to share source
(2014-08-07, 09:28)Shenkie Wrote:
(2014-08-03, 21:36)antoniong Wrote:
(2014-08-03, 21:10)Komerad Wrote: I don't find any version so can't test. Do you have root acces with theyre "software"?

Send you a PM where to find.

Can you please also PM me too?

Thanks in advance!
And me Wink
Hi,

I am one of 'the naive individuals" that bought this setup from Dit is TV.
But not without a lot of trouble. They did send me the package last week, but the SD card that came with it was empty.
After contacting them about this I was told I first had to send back the empty card (and pay the costs) after that they would send me a new card.

After some pretty angry phone calls and e-mails ( I also asked for the image so I could put the software on the empty card and solve the whole issue that same day.... That was absolutely not possible it was a payed version that would not be distributed in that way... sigh) They finally agreed on first sending me the new card and afterward I could send back the old empty one (will cost me 1 euro to send an empty SD micro 8gb card that costs only 5,99 new or less)
That was last wednesday. thursday I got an confirmation of this 'order' so i waited for friday to pass hoping it would arrive... no card!
Friday I called their (very expensive telephone number again at 80 ct per minute 4,5 ct start all on top of your ususal costs) At that point te service guy told me my order wasn't processed yet but on monday it would be and I would have my card on wednesday (next week) at the latest.... what? excuse me? But I have all these emails telling me it has been send to me.....

This made me pretty pissed so yesterday I send an pretty pissed e-mail telling them this is not the way to treat customers, and I regret ever buying the thing. And would appreciate a serious answer containing a solution... But what did i get instead... a mail from customer care telling me that according to his system my card was send on thursday and will be arrive within 5 workdays ....

That pissed me off even more so I answered back to them to send my mails to the headoffice read them once more because I already explained that his colleague told me about the status and I don not appreciate being lied to... 5 days my ass (excuse my french)

Long story short I bought the thing still no sofware found this forum looking for an image (that i cannot find... any help there would be appreciated)

Reading all of the above doesn't help me to restore any faith in this company. Would have been better of buying a pi and installing software myself. (it runs now with their empty card containing open elec that i installed myself...maybe not as fancy but it works)
Do you have Distance Selling Regulations?
(2014-08-10, 12:16)Hitcher Wrote: Do you have Distance Selling Regulations?

Oh yes we have (in The Netherlands). Customers are pretty well protected here.

I can only suggest to spread the word of how they do their business as much as possible. Also they still advertise with "FREE" movies and tvshows. Since the Dutch government changed the law it was being condoned. However now it doesn't matter if you download or stream it. This is still considered illegal and in violation with copyright laws.

So I will expect them to be soon shut down or at least being forced to remove almost all of the included piracy add-ons.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Simple: you have the legal(!) right to sent the whole package back and demand you money (including P&P) back from the reseller.
Yep.

Also start here:
http://www.klachtenkompas.nl/ditistvnl
and please usage of promote it Smile

(site can also be used for other companies of course)
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-08-10, 12:30)antoniong Wrote: Simple: you have the legal(!) right to sent the whole package back and demand you money (including P&P) back from the reseller.

sounds better by the minute....

is it possible to uses open elec and make it more or less the same way (or better) myself.
I'm pretty new to this so still searchin..
Maybe once/if you actually get the card, you could send a copy of the image to someone here knowledgeable and see if they are actually violating anything.
If it uses a rpi you can just install raspbmc on the empty sd card, plug it in and boot.
(2014-08-10, 14:19)Vincent1981 Wrote:
(2014-08-10, 12:30)antoniong Wrote: Simple: you have the legal(!) right to sent the whole package back and demand you money (including P&P) back from the reseller.

sounds better by the minute....

is it possible to uses open elec and make it more or less the same way (or better) myself.
I'm pretty new to this so still searchin..
Totally possible. Dit is TV simply delivers an XBMC install with a bunch of addons installed by default. It's really easy to set this up yourself, especially since you indicated that you were willing to put the image yourself on the SD card (which sounds like you're not a complete IT noob).
(2014-08-10, 20:28)LazerBlue Wrote: Maybe once/if you actually get the card, you could send a copy of the image to someone here knowledgeable and see if they are actually violating anything.

I've done so now to several people but since none has taken the trouble to report back (either here or to me) it seems useless. Those with interest: do a small search for 'ditv' on the best known torrent site.

Anyway that said, DitisTV is simply OpenElec/XBMC with many add ons to stream movies from websites of which many no longer exist. So a useless product twice the price of a regular Raspberry.
@antoniong:

I restored the image of DitisTV 4.0 and by a quick exam it looks like a OpenElec frodo with an outdated GOmovies addon (which does not works anymore)

Like i said before, this company thrives on development of others which is despicable.
(2014-08-12, 10:45)Shenkie Wrote: @antoniong:

Like i said before, this company thrives on development of others which is despicable.

You perhaps misunderstand the GPL and the whole ethos of open source.

Charging for Kodi - not a problem

Charging for Addons, not a problem

Amending the source in house for your own project - not a problem

Amending the source in house and distributing without providing access to the source - that is the one and only evil here, and in terms of the GPL is the big one.

Why the copyright holders won't do something about it is anyones guess. Maybe too expensive.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@ nickr;

I understand fully what GPL is and i never said that charging is a problem. Like a stated before, they are saying that THEY developed this NEW software which is not true and a kick in the nuts to the openelec , addons , skin developers.

I think that they don't want to share the source because it will spread quickly trough the net and ruin their only business model.
(2014-08-12, 10:57)nickr Wrote:
(2014-08-12, 10:45)Shenkie Wrote: @antoniong:

Which I did not say So get your quotes correct instead of putting words in the wrong people's mouth.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
'DITisTV' violating XBMC's GPLv2. Refusing to share source2